iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started on new countertops.

Started by hackberry jake, June 01, 2018, 09:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

2.25" thick walnut butcher block. This is one of 11 pieces. I've used over a gallon of titebondII so far.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

thecfarm

And a few clamps. :o 
You have to make 11 more? Are we going to see it in place? :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

newoodguy78

Nice job looks good 
I'll be following this closely. I have a 4x8 butcher block to build very shortly. What kind of finish are you planning on using?

WDH

Oh my, that is going to be nice.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brad_bb

I want to see what it looks like planed!  Saw a long period without you posting.  Glad you're back!

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Larry

Clamp spacing looks perfect with suitable clamps. :) 

Are you using a glue roller?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

hackberry jake

This is number 7 of 11. I'll only have 5 sections of finished countertops. I'm glueing them up in sections under 16" wide so I can joint them flat, then glue them together and plane them. I didn't use a glue roller. Just squirted out a wavy line of glue on each face then took a flemsy old plastic health insurance card and spread it out.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Southside

Sadly that is probably the best use possible for a health insurance card....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DPatton

Quote from: Southside logger on June 02, 2018, 11:05:42 PM
Sadly that is probably the best use possible for a health insurance card....
LOL...... :D :D :D
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

teakwood

Nice work, i hope we see the finished product soon
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

hackberry jake

WDH

Sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, then sand some more :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

teakwood

I put boards like that thru the planer, just cut very little. like 0.5-0.8mm per pass. they come out very nice

hackberry jake

They'll get jointed, planned, and wide belt sanded. Then shaped and random orbit sanded in place.

PA_Walnut

Nice work!  A decade or so ago I made a jig that allows me to place pilot holes in each board, then drill dowel holes. It strengthens the joint and, more importantly, keeps them aligned during glue-up. Use it for hard maple work benches and works GREAT. 

Not necessary, but it's helpful. 

Anxious to see the finished pieces! What kinda finish are you putting on them?
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Do you think it will need sanding?  ::)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

blackfoot griz

Wow! 
I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.

hackberry jake

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on June 18, 2018, 05:52:43 PM
Do you think it will need sanding?  ::)

Mainly just where I have to glue the two pieces together and to smooth the out the round over I put on the edges. If I can sand it smooth by hand after I glue the two pieces together, then I'll skip the wide belt. I took them out and face jointed, and planned them today. Looking better already.

hackberry jake

Quote from: PA_Walnut on June 18, 2018, 05:03:05 AM

Anxious to see the finished pieces! What kinda finish are you putting on them?
Thinking about doing a drying oil first, then a week or so later applying 3 or 4 coats of polyurethane.

PA_Walnut

Quote from: hackberry jake on June 28, 2018, 01:42:56 PMThinking about doing a drying oil first, then a week or so later applying 3 or 4 coats of polyurethane.

Nice. We have a small amount of counter space, so may need to do this to keep the Domestic Dept happy. Been thinking about doing it with hard maple.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

teakwood

blackfoot griz

Jake...any updates? Anxious to see the finished product!

Weekend_Sawyer

Yea, you have peaked my interest too.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

hackberry jake

Sorry for the wait. Here are some update pics. They still aren't done yet.

Crusarius

is that all heartwood or is some sapwood?

Thank You Sponsors!