iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I need to build a building

Started by Jeff, August 13, 2012, 01:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

The moving process hath begun! Jacking and blocking to get the 6 by 6 treated posts under it that will form the eventual wooden floor, and more importantly, my skid for moving.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tim L

Cool project Jeff ! I hope it's all documented in pics.
Do the best you can and don't look back

WDH

The Woodshed looks empty.  Now all those little gremlins will be running around here  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brucer

One of my customers had to move a 12' x 12' gazebo to make room for a new carport. His contractor jacked it up, put a couple of timbers under it, and then put some 2 foot long rounds of wood (8" diameter) under the timbers. Three people were able to roll it out of the way.

There's actually a scientific reason why a 12x20 building can't hold the "stuff" that you had stored in a 12x10 building. You see, you filled up that shed gradually so the "stuff" had time to settle as you added more. But now you're trying to put it all in the new building all at once so it doesn't have time to settle in.

"Stuff" fluffs up when you disturb it, you know. Kinda like sawdust ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Migal

I really want'ed to reply but after reading all posts i feel no Poke or Jab was left unturned lol we went from round to ground and rolling all the way I'm sure a man that can control the FF member's from getting out of line will build a fine work shop that has storage room for Mrs. and not have Half a roof like some of those photo's Just My Thought's.  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

SwampDonkey

My father and my uncle moved a whole house with tractors and log skids, moved it 2 miles. So you can move the woodshed. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Migal

I've moved drilling rigs standing derrick and all it's just a mater of want and Too! :-\
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Weekend_Sawyer

Wow, that's a beaut! Bet is smells great inside too.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Hilltop366

On the moving a building subject I had watched a show a while back (could be 10 years or more) about a guy that was trying to figure out how large heavy objects got moved before the invention of heavy machinery. In his research he came up with lots of ideas (or found someone else's) and would demonstrate some of them, one I remember was him moving a building by himself. If I recall correctly he had a long pole that went through the building, the pole had 2 legs on it that were about 1' apart. The building was balanced on the legs and he would move the pole side to side which would cause the building to "walk" along a plank or two.

It was quite interesting to watch, if any one knows what the show is called or the man's name I would like to know, I would like to watch it again and I'm sure others would find it interesting as well.

Jeff

My idea here is to be able to jack it from one point. Jack up the front until I can get blocks under the middle then let it pivot on the middle raising the back, then block the back, jack it back up and block the front. Once I get it high enough, I have two 6 by 6 treated posts with beveled and drilled ends that I will slide under the side walls. I'll fasten the building down to those and tie them together side to side with something hopefully sturdy enough to keep them from trying to come together when I pull the building with the truck. 

When Tammy gets back from the Vet, I'll get started. I'll need a couple extra hands. I have my timbers ready to go, so the jacking can get started once I get some blond power here. ;o)

beenthere

Good luck with the move.
Hope it is easier to move than the redwood slab.  And don't let Tammy get in a vulnerable spot. ;)

Here is a video of some interesting techniques of moving heavy objects. Not the walking idea, but clever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYQBDhkBfr0
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

grweldon

My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Jim_Rogers

Wally is the guy who moved a barn alone with the walking method. You'll need to search more about him and see other videos he did.

Jim Rogers

PS, I've seen that barn walking video and he does do it alone....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Hilltop366

Yes that is the one I was thinking of, thanks been there.

Jeff

The building is ready to make its move.
Notice the use of a logrite canthook as a lever. ;D

The skids, beveled and drilled at each end. We may be able to push it by hand, we'll see.

Interior bracing

The wheels made from a sacrificial Red Maple and a hunk or two of cedar. Hopefully they are hard enough.

The barn where it stands now, ready for moving.

Ironwood

I have skidded several buildings, one 8 x 20 and one 10 x 10. I usd the same treated timber idea and drilled the ends of the tapered timbers to drive a 1 1/2" solid steel rod thru to use as an anchor point to drag it. Both are still moveable and I put a rod at each end to be able to pull from either end and the rod goes all the way from timber to timber. Just use lots of bracing (mine to was lifted from a slab) and I used LOTS of 1/4" lags to hold it all tight. I moved both down the street on Sunday morning from neighbors houses about 1/4 away. VERY interesting watching folks WATCH me  :D ;D

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Jeff

Phase one is complete. We moved the barn this morning, dodging around some trees and finally to where it will live for another 26 years.
http://youtu.be/RLfy8uloxeU

beenthere

Nice smooth job Jeff.

Even some shakin goin on at the end there. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Migal

:D Glad ale went well for ya  8) I can never get the band to play such lively music when I'm trying to do something like that. I't has to help I'm sure!

Jeff

It actually took us about 3.5 hours to get it moved.  Trees being the biggest obstacles, but also the biggest help. We used at least 3 different ones to hook come-alongs to to either turn the barn, or to help avoid a different tree and also when we needed a pull where there just wasn't room for the truck. The last few frames you see the truck at 90° to the barn, we were using a tree to divert the pull.

Migal

:) Oh I was sure the video was edited but was a great clip  8) Also at my age I kinda could relate to the music not sure if that's a good thing or not  :D

WmFritz

Looks like a GREAT Chevrolet commercial for next years SuperBowl. :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

clww

Great video and Benny Hill music! :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WDH

Now we can get all the miscreants back in the Woodshed  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

No telling whats been buried in the spot I moved it over top of. ;D

Today I built a new wood floor out of the Tamarack that Steve and Kevin and I sawed in the U.P. earlier this year. :)

Thank You Sponsors!