iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is there an effective way to remove blue stain from kiln dried SYP?

Started by scsmith42, December 23, 2015, 07:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

I milled some SYP earlier this summer for a customer, but the boards blue-stained in the board after milling (the logs had been down for several weeks old when I milled them).

Is there an effective treatment to bleach out the blue stain (even if it leaves the rest of the lumber bleached out as well).

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Scott, I have tried. Honestly I don't think there is a way to remove it completely. There will always be evidence.
Blue stain goes pretty deep depending on how long its been left to spread.
I've tried planing it out of boards before and had no board left when I finished. :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sealark37

I agree with Poston.  Some folks like blue stain.  It does take paint or stain with no problem.  Regards, Clark

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

Simple answer....no.

I planed much of it during the Cabin Addition.  My stain was not surface, but completely through the boards.  Of course in my instance, it mattered none.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Not sure about kiln dried, but a customer that has built three cabins from green syp,  says the blue will go away when exposed to the sun.  Keep in mind these were not heavily blued boards, but had the streaks of blue.  I cannot vouch for the results, only take him at his word. He never had an issue with the blue stain, in fact very happy to get the lumber. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GAB

The only effective way to remove blue stain, from kiln dried SYP, or any other pine, that I know of is to use it as fuel.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

terrifictimbersllc

Not syp, but ewp blue stained, mad a former customer tell me recently that they sprayed down the inside of a cabin I sawed out with bleach to remove the stain.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

ellmoe

There's a difference in blue stain and mold, but often people refer to mold as blue stain. I've had mold "sun bleach" out, but not blue stain. I don't believe that true blue stain can be removed. Of course I can be wrong (at least that's what my wife tells me).  ;D
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

drobertson

Quote from: ellmoe on December 23, 2015, 10:00:21 PM
   There's a difference in blue stain and mold, but often people refer to mold as blue stain. I've had mold "sun bleach" out, but not blue stain. I don't believe that true blue stain can be removed. Of course I can be wrong (at least that's what my wife tells me).  ;D
No doubt there is a difference between mold and stain, mold forms after sawing in warm moist conditions here, while the blue is often in the log prior to sawing.  I'm thinking that some of it may bleach out from the sun, but also know most of the time after staining and sealing it's not as noticeable.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

scsmith42

Guys, thanks for the feedback.  Personally I like the look, but in this instance the customer wanted clear lumber. 

I tried a wood bleach product with oxalic acid, but it did not make a difference.

The lumber is planed and as it typical of blue stain it goes all of the way through the board.  The odd thing was that the boards came off of the sawmill fairly clear (with some stain at the ends of the boards), and they were stickered as they came off so I thought that I had dodged the bullet so to speak when they were milled.  I was stunned to see the amount of stain prevalent in the lumber after it had dried.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

When I was procuring saw logs for the big pine sawmill, blue stain was a huge problem, especially in the summer.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on December 24, 2015, 06:06:43 PM
When I was procuring saw logs for the big pine sawmill, blue stain was a huge problem, especially in the summer.

We are in the summer months now...12-23-15.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

woodmills1

One of my better students years ago was good at physics and into wood shop, we tried nearly every thing to bleach out blue stain.  It never happened
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!