iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ive got the Bel-saw blues

Started by Blaszer, September 04, 2017, 08:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaszer

Ive got a bel saw with a 42'' blade..I cut 7 hickory logs that came out quite decent...I had a quick order to fill of some ash planks for trailer ramps...Hit some metal in the ash log and it pretty much spun me out.....I'm back to cutting the hickory and my blade has a mind of its own....I put new teeth on it and played with the lead on the blade and still some boards are straight from end to end, some start at 1'' and the finish end is 1/2''... some start at 1'' and the finish end is 1 3/4 ''....I do know that 1 or 2 of the bits are bad and it shows when cutting(the blade will wobble like its out of balance...)  Any other ideas??  Another question I have is what kind of tolerance would you allow from an old circle mill like this..for a 1'' board, what would you allow either way?  Thanks guys...

moodnacreek

About 1/16" except the last  board. Hickory and ash logs , small diameter. will spring on a bellsaw and maybe touch the blade and warm it. Also if you are turning down as you are supposed to, it causes more trouble than turning up.  It's best to saw a 2 sided cant to get your width if you can. When I sawed on a bellsaw an old timer told me this and it helped.

bandmiller2

Blaszer, Its quite likely your saw got hot from rubbing and will need to be rehammered. First try replacing the bits and see if that helps, its good form to have new bits in the saw when its tensioned anyways. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!