iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

where to find old equipment

Started by Dan_Shade, February 22, 2008, 12:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

i'm sorta chasing down an old planer, an american iron one, where do you find things like this?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Larry

Craigslist along with classified ads in the local newspaper are maybe the best places.  Commerical auctions are also good.  My radar turned up a Powermatic jointer in KC, along with a circle sawmill in Joplin Missouri this morning.  You have to move fast with cash in hand as most times the bargains will only last a couple of hours...sometime only a few minutes.  We have one member that stole a Unisaw for penny's...he was even bold enough to call the seller long before the crack of dawn to beat out the herd. :-X :-X :-X

When driving keep your eyes peeled for old arn.  I could lead you to a Yates American 5 head moulder, Grizzly planer, Rockwell 20" bandsaw, bunch of old lathes, and all are plainly visible from the road...none have been used in years.

Than there are the old arn traders...we have a rendevous planed for early April with some folks coming from several hundred miles away with goodies for trade.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dan_Shade

hah, you have any good old planers available, Reid?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ironwood

Dan,

Currently no. I just sold a nice Powermatic. You should call me some time, there are a number of older units  that are good and some to be avoided (like a Cresent B-24, which has rubber infeed cushions under the infeed segments) These rubbers are and have been for sometime obsolete, I still see folks trying to get top dollar for the units. I try to sell my stuff below market value to keep it moving, I am not in the equipment business but know the good stuff and try to keep soem around to make side money on. I'll PM you with my info.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Larry

I did a quick search to see what I could find in your part of the woods.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/tls/577459501.html

A Rockwell 13" X 5" in very good condition for $200...even it was not running I could part it out and make money on this one.  I'm sure it probally was sold the same day it was listed but just an example of what can be found.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ironwood

Just sold one of those Got $550 for it. Nice unit, nicer than a Parks 12" and heavily built.

Ironwood

pasbuild

Here's a good place to look
www.irsauctions.com
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Ironwood

IRS tends to go high. There was a sale recently in Pittsburgh that made EVERYONES eyes POP. They sold a planer (A friend worked in the shop and told me how poor condition it was in) and it sold for over $5000, I just had two that I sold for fair market (exact same unit) at $1600. For what they get i should list my whole shop and retire. FYI

Ironwood

ErikC

I guess people are just used to writing checks to IRS and not asking questions :D

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Ironwood

Just to qualify my statement, my shop will go IRS when I pass. It is simple ( for the spouse) and they have a very good market. So, from a sellers perspetive it is great, if you are buying you really need to know what it is your buying and it REAL value. There can be some bargins, but mostly in the "odd ball" catagory. The only rel value at the Pittsburgh auction that I saw was a 5 hp Champion air compressor, $250. I was going to bid , but I have enough compressors already, AND I thought as I was there picking it up I would be thinking "you folks are NUTS (other buyer getting there goods)"

Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!