iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

poulan carb help

Started by old joe, October 06, 2010, 01:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old joe

I know you folks think of them as boat anchors but......I've got two ,and I need to make them work.  I'e got two new carbs coming and could use some  info on where to first set them. I only cut 2to 2.5 cords a year and can't justify a real pro saw.

thanks
Joe
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

Tom

Joe, don't beat up Poulan too bad.  I've owned several and would probably still be using the first two, even after 30 years, if hadn't been for thieves.  Those little pancake saws that sears sold in the 1960's were tough little buggers.  I had a "pro" Poulan in the 1970's that never gave me any trouble.  I started my sawmill business with a Mac and still used it when I bought my first Husky.  It provided me decent service for many years.

You get a lot better acceptance from your peers and your customers if you use a Stihl or Husky, but you can still get a lot of work out of a Remington, Mac, Poulan, or other homeowner saw.

Cut4fun

2 40cc-42cc poulans I just did for guys, to get them in the ball park took 1.5 L side and 1.5 H side, I usually start with 1 turn H L on other saws, but a few need more to start off sometimes  :)

http://www.madsens1.com/saw_carb_tune.htm

old joe

Tom ....not unhappy with the poulans one is 12 the other older. 

cut  for fun....thanks, just what I needed

Joe
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

Al_Smith

FWIW I have an s-25 Poulan I bought new in the early 70's that I've never once even had the carb off and it cuts as good or better now as it did when new .

Some Poulans are not bad saws at all .Fact is I cut a lot of wood with that little rascal, a lot more than 2.5 cords a year I'll tell ya that .I used to sell between 50 and 70 cords of wood per year for 8-9 years and it was cut with that little saw and a PM 610 Mac .Two of the most bad mouthed saws of all time but they both served me well plus the fact I still have them and they still run good . 8) Perhaps the operater has more to do with it that the brand name . :D

GlenM

Perhaps the operater has more to do with it that the brand name .

This is always been my opinion.
I have a whole passle of green Poulans, they all run good after I totally refurbished them.
Was just given a S25CVA, cleaned carb, runs strong, getting ready to cut a bunch of wood with it.
fwiw

Thank You Sponsors!