iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaws

Started by Iron65, November 14, 2013, 06:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron65

I have an 017 stihl with an oil leak. Does anyone know if this saw has a two piece oil tank ? It's leaking really bad and I don't think it is just the oil line.

jerry sundberg

It could be the O ring on the fill cap,if not a crack in the case somewhere,J B weld it.
Farmall  man

Nemologger

Clean and Sober

sablatnic

Could be the oil line. It is pressed through a hole in the tank, and can shrink and leak there. In the other end it is also  pressed into a hole, and will leak there too, when it shrinks.
The oil tank can be removed through the left side for inspection, when the starter and the flywheel is removed. 

HolmenTree

Bar oil leaks have been around since day one and the newest top of the line saws today still leak.
Problem most times the saw is filled up outdoors on a cold day right up full, then the saw is put in a warm garage which warms up the oil, then expands and purges out of the oil tank vent.
A lot of oil also runs down the bar groove after the saw is left sitting leaving a puddle on the garage floor.
I always store my saws sitting on absorbent mats which I get from the butcher [white pads that meat is packaged on to absorb blood.]

But the OP Iron65 may have damage causing the leak on the 017.....but first check simple causes first.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

sablatnic

Holmen Tree is right, all saws will leak, I store my saws on old news papers. But the oil line on the 017 is a known bad guy. You can check the tank vent before digging into the oil line.
It is a duck bill valve above the fill cap. Just clean the saw, fill up the oil tank, and observe where the sticky mess starts to run.

DonT

ok so what are the advantages to running 32:1?  I have a 372xp  , it has a 20inch tech-lite bar on it.it is a great all prpose saw.

Thank You Sponsors!