iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How'd Ya Git Yer Username

Started by fstedy, December 12, 2004, 08:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asy

Quote from: woodbowl on April 08, 2005, 12:19:50 AM
Asy, the pioneers used regular hand tools such as chisels, ax, foot adz, draw knife ect. He shaped it from the swell of a Tupelo Gum "in our region". Shore nuff bowl makers had their own tools. One in particular, was called a scorp. It was used to dish out the inside. Foot operated laths could turn an oval shape by mounting the wood blocks on a spindal. Just imagine turning a wooden football shape that separated into two halves. That was high cotton back then. As for me, I must admit I use electricity. Wonderful tool, that there hand grinder!--------- I don't have a website. Not yet any way, but I think I could figure out a way to ship down under.

Wowwee.

I am absolutely fascinated.

I can understand turning an oval then splitting it, then hollowing out the inside with an adze or such. Must say, the hand grinder sounds a lot faster and easier.

Ya gotta wonder, what would a craftsman of 150 or 200 years ago say if you turned up with a grinder in his workshop!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

pappy

QuoteYa gotta wonder, what would a craftsman of 150 or 200 years ago say if you turned up with a grinder in his workshop!

asy,

I bet it would be close to something like

Wowwee ;)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

woodbowl

Thanks for jogging my memory cktate. I now remember seeing the wash rag sewed to the flour sack. Buying 25lb - 50lb of flour at one time was the commom thing to do and a free wash rag was was a big deal back then.-----hillbilly, I don't live in Tenn. I'm down here in the NW Fla Panhandle about 50 miles from DanG and 30 miles from Cooks saw. I'll try to plant a tree soon.------Hey wowwee..........uh........I mean asy, the bowl halves are already in two pieces "before" the 19th century operator turns the blocks on the foot lath. This thread is becomming a bit unravelled. Anyway, that's how I got my user name.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

swamp-drifter

it seemed to describe pretty well what i end up doing while out in the field

firtol88

Fir = men or man in Irish used to designate males kinda like Mr in it's use
TOL = Tree of Life, a very old Celtic symbol which I happen to have a large depiction of on my back (shhhh not many know that one)
88 = the number I wore playing hockey before I was transplanted to the south and started wearing 11 playing football. Notice which one I prefer, I can let my kids watch hockey...

Beyond sports though I must say in general I like southerners much better than most yankees (too liberal and too often fake)
There's men who drink Guinness, and there's men who drink what's left when we're done with it.

* Note to Democrats, yes please flee to Canada!

maple flats

My uncle used to work in the oil business as a geologist and gave my sister a bowl shaped like yours but made of stone. He had it dated somehow (carbon?) at 3500 years old. Back then they probably used it rather similar to what you explain. 8)
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

LSUNo1

firtol88

Quote from: LSUNo1 on April 08, 2005, 10:31:43 PM
No explanation necessary!

http://fightmusic.com/mp3/sec/LSU__Geaux_Tigers_Cheer.mp3

That was for my business partner, I'm too anti Ebonics to put up with football nowadays.
There's men who drink Guinness, and there's men who drink what's left when we're done with it.

* Note to Democrats, yes please flee to Canada!

Tom

uh oh!   What are we starting here. :D

The Real Song

twostroke_blood

Was out of beer, so i got to drinkin my chainsaw mix. My wife always said i was full of gas anyway. :D

StihlDoc

Have had STIHL in my blood for 30+ years and am in a postion where I can offer a broad spectrum of STIHL and other two-stroke technical knowledge that might help answer questions others may have.

rbarshaw

rbarshaw, Robert Barshaw. First initial of first name and last name. Every one in my family has a first name that starts with R. I thought of it first so I get to keep it.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Tom

I think that's neat. 

My Grandfather, Dad, me and my three boys are all TC.  Four of us are TRC's  :D

We used to put TC on our Christmas presents so that we knew who's was who's. :D :D

asy

Quote from: Tom on April 09, 2005, 10:26:05 PM
I think that's neat. 

My Grandfather, Dad, me and my three boys are all TC.  Four of us are TRC's  :D

We used to put TC on our Christmas presents so that we knew who's was who's. :D :D

How many times did you open parcels with toy trucks in them?

Oh, And, how many times did you give them BACK!?

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Tom

One of my big jokes was "That's mine!" when they would open a package.   I let them open all of the packages and then would see if they would give me something. :D

The trick was to make sure that they got their stuff. :D   I would put their first names inside of the package to be sure.  It's a good thing they all had a good sense of humor and liked different things.  We've always gotten a lot of laughs over it. :) :)

Furby

Bump to the top for the newer members. ;)

mometal77

Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Stamp

STAMP is an acronym for my husband's first and last name initials and my first, middle and maiden name initials.  When we were dating we would put "STAMP" in the high score when we played the trivia game at the end of the bar.

Chris J

I chose a slang expression I hear frequently in my neck of the woods (so to speak) that means "much nothing."

?Que paso?  = What's happening? What's up?, etc.
Mucha nada = Bunch of nothing, not much, etc.

It can also be used to tell some one that that they might be working, but they're not getting anything accomplished.

Umm...maybe I should've given it more thought  :-\.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Jodi

Oh man, mine's just my name...how embarassing.... :)

Bro. Noble

Welcome Jodi,  mighty glad to see you here ;D

Jodi is a real  8) name :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

rpg52

Not very interesting, but I can remember it (getting harder as the years pass).  My initials and birth year.
Ray
Belsaw circle mill, in progress.

Timburr

My first name is Tim. My surname is Burr :D :D not realy.
Burr comes from my love of discovering of, opening up, seeking that figured grain and dealing in burrs 8)

You folks sell lumber, I sell timburr. smiley_British_jack

When waifs, strays and lost souls are walking by in our woodland, I shout "TIMMMBURRRRR" when I'm about to fell a tree. eh? :D ;D :D

Cheers Tim
Sense is not common

PawNature

My wife has alway been know as manature cause animals take to her. As her worst half I was taged pawnature.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Kirk_Allen

Kirk -  Named after my great uncle
Allen - Family name which consists of 8 generations of men and has been traced back to the 1600's.  Furthest back that my Dad was able to trace turned up that one of ancenstors in the late 1600's was a slave rower on an English Ship.     ? Does someone owe me some money for that ?

George Allen was my Great Grandfather and was the FIRST person to bring sheep to the Midwest across the Apalachains.  He took FIRST PLACE in the 1893 worlds fair in Chicago with his sheep.  My dad still has the Original Oil painting of the prize ram with his ribbon at the fair.  Took home $500 prize and  that launched the Allen family farm!  His name is on a plaque in the AG hall at Purdue as one of the key contributors to the success of the Shropshire sheep in the US. 

Thank You Sponsors!