iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you guys store your saw's in the shop?

Started by JOE.G, June 16, 2012, 12:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE.G

I made a mount in my shot that has the handle up int eh air and the bars facing straight down, the issue I am having is that they all will sit there and leak all of the bar oil out, it does't pour out but after a week or so it'll be empty. So I am wondering what do you guys do thanks.
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

mad murdock

put them on a shelf, or under a shop bench, sitting upright, as they would sit if you put them on the ground or in the back of your pickup.  Another way would be to make a "saw tree", get a decent sized log, say 10' dia, then use a saw to plunge cut vertical slots (with the log set in a "stand", or some such arrangement, so that the log is now a vertical "trunk"), then you can slip the bar of the saw in the vertical slot, and let the powerhead hang off like tree branches.  I have seen this done in saw shops for display purposes, and it frees up floor space if you have a few saws to "store".
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

JOE.G

The branch idea sounds neat, I have them sitting on the floor normal at the moment, I do like storing them like I said above because they are out of the way, its just a pain with the oil drips.
STIHL 009 1998

beenthere

I store mine on its side, with the caps up. Then release the pressure that can cause leaking (usually when bringing in from cold and allowed to warm up). No leaking that I've experienced doing that.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

I have 40-50 of them on shelves in the shed .Some leak some don't .Some run some don't . :D

terrifictimbersllc

When hanging vertical I put a cut off soda bottle on the bar tip either 1L or 2L bottle, if it leaks it goes in bottle, not messy and isn't wasted.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

JOE.G

STIHL 009 1998

thecfarm

Both of mine get set on the floor in an up right position.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

A dealer I worked for used murdock's method, it made for a very effective display that took up little room. However, the bars developed light rust which made the saw a difficult sell. The slots accumulated moisture from the air. The log was at least 15 years old so it was definitely not green.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dave VH

all of mine sit upright in shopping carts.  I have a couple carts in my shop, and they are the most convienent things. I line them up in the shop, and when I have a project to do I just pull out the appropiat cart, push it to the truck and unload.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Al_Smith

Just as general information it's not a good plan to sit a chainsaw directly on a concrete floor .The reason being is because one ingrediant of portland cement ,the binder in the  concrete mix is alumina .Alumina comes from the blue clay used to make the concrete .

What happens is because of a chemical reaction between the concrete and the aluminum alloy used in saws over a period of time it will leech out components of the saw .Easy fix just sit the saw up on a plank to isolate it from the concrete floor .--chainsaw trivia  101 ---

John Mc

I set my saws on the empty plastic bags my water softener salt comes in for just that reason. (I rinse the bags out first).

The bags are tough, isolate the saw from the concrete, and catch the oil.  I also use the bags under the saw when hauling in the family minivan... my Jonsered 2152 leaks oil, and I'd be in the doghouse if I got oil all over the back of the vehicle. (None of my other saws seem to leak as bad as that one.)

John
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ward Barnes

Quote from: Al_Smith on June 17, 2012, 08:52:08 AM
Just as general information it's not a good plan to sit a chainsaw directly on a concrete floor .The reason being is because one ingrediant of portland cement ,the binder in the  concrete mix is alumina .Alumina comes from the blue clay used to make the concrete .

What happens is because of a chemical reaction between the concrete and the aluminum alloy used in saws over a period of time it will leech out components of the saw .Easy fix just sit the saw up on a plank to isolate it from the concrete floor .--chainsaw trivia  101 ---

Thanks, good info.  Also the same applies to tractor/truck/car batteries.  Concrete floors can kill a battery.  Same fix, put a plank under the battery to isolate it from the floor.  God Bless, Ward and Mary.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

Clam77

Quote from: Ward Barnes on June 17, 2012, 08:38:25 PM
Also the same applies to tractor/truck/car batteries.  Concrete floors can kill a battery.  Same fix, put a plank under the battery to isolate it from the floor.  God Bless, Ward and Mary.

I've been told this too but I've found to not be so true. 

Battery cases are made from non-reactive plastic now though...... I think they most likely die from the temperature differences- bottom half of the battery is cold from the concrete.. top half warm from the air around it..

I do keep them on a plank or something though- makes them easier to pick up.   :D
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Al_Smith

I don't know if the battery thing came from the era of rubber case batteries or not .If so the rubber compound contained lamp black which is carbon which is a conductor of sorts .

Never the less  old wives tale or  no it's something I personally have adhered to ,no battery on concrete .

Cypressstump

Quote from: Al_Smith on June 17, 2012, 10:30:24 PM
Never the less  old wives tale or  no it's something I personally have adhered to ,no battery on concrete .

Funny,, me too. Kinda like walking down the side walk and a black cat crosses in front of you... hummmm , nothing to it, but some old superstitions makes one wonder.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

clww

When I was a single man, I used to "store" mine in the bathtub, on the kitchen counter, wherever there was enough room. I mean, I was going to need it tomorrow anyway, and the garage is too cold and dark for my little chainsaws.
Once I got married though, well.....you know where this is heading. :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

deerslayer

Most of my saws I store in cases on shelves. The large ones Stihl 066 etc that don't have cases that fit I store on a shelf with a bar guard on. Some (most) of my saws leak some bar oil during storage and I have one Stihl 009L that leaks a lot in a case but if I store it oil cap up (on its side) it doesn't leak at all, so that one doesn't live in its case anymore. I don't think saws care much how they're stored, it is personal preference and available space. However, some saws with rubber isolators shouldn't be stored in a matter where they are under load. ie, in a saw tree where the powerhead weight is hanging from the bar.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

Thank You Sponsors!