iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forwarder Search

Started by Ken, February 05, 2015, 08:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1270d

1010 is a stout little forwarder.

furltech

I owned a 1010b 6wheel drive Hauled a pile of wood with it all over nova scotia and pei good strong productive machine .

Jamie_C

Another thumbs up for the 6wd 1010B, the one i used to run was almost bulletproof and would haul more wood than you thought it could in a shift ... was a real good hill climber too with half tracks on the back and chains up front.

lopet

I have a question for your forwarder guys and I don't even remember, if I asked about this before.  ;D
I assume a 1010 B is fully hydrostatic drive and is probably close to twenty years old and must have at least three hydraulic pumps on it and they were out,  right.  Now  my question is , if the hydrostatic pump does not put the psi out anymore and you have a big enough load on it, or you get in to a soft spot, does it just quit moving ?  I probably could live with , when the the boom runs a little slower or if  it won't lift the same weight what it used to, when it was new.  But when it quits moving, that would really make my day.
And yeah, what kinda pressure are they running at ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

snowstorm

my hystat machine has never stalled going up hill maybe it could happen. i dont know how many pumps the 1010 has i would think just one along with a hystat pump

1270d

Our 1010 has a work pump and a drive pump.  it never stopped moving, but would lose traction on hills first.  It is a 4 wheel machine.   Not sure what would happen if the drive pump gets weak.  Guessing it runs a max pressure around 4000psi.

lopet

I know how nice hydrostatic drive is , but always been skeptical about performance and torque when part are worn out.
Maybe I just worry too much.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.

chevytaHOE5674

Our Ponsse Caribou has almost 20k hours on it and the original pumps and have never had any problems with loosing power to the wheels.

huskyxp

Uh oh! I just bought a 04 Fabtek 344LB little over a month ago with 7500 hours.. Not many good reviews here , so far I love it but was runnin a old c5d before so not much to compare to I guess. There's one like mine not far from me with 28000 hours on it so hoping I can get few on mine without major trouble! Only thing that don't work is my frame lock?

snowstorm

Quote from: huskyxp on March 03, 2015, 10:27:37 AM
Uh oh! I just bought a 04 Fabtek 344LB little over a month ago with 7500 hours.. Not many good reviews here , so far I love it but was runnin a old c5d before so not much to compare to I guess. There's one like mine not far from me with 28000 hours on it so hoping I can get few on mine without major trouble! Only thing that don't work is my frame lock?
4 wheel machine? the frame lock should come on when it is in neutral. there may be an electric valve next to the hydr cly.check for power there. thats the way the older valmets worked 

1270d

our fabtek has a switch on the arm rest for frame lock, nothing automatic.  Its a 2000 though.once you get a few sticks on frame lock doesn't seem to change much anyway.

huskyxp

Haven't had time to give it good goin over yet but it does have the switch on arm rest also , once the mud hits I will get the meter out and do some trouble shooting, thanks

Ken

Had the new to me machine on the jobsite all week without issues except for one cracked log stake.  Pretty safe to say I will never go back to pushing a clutch to forward wood out of the cut block after running a hydrostatic.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

Jamie_C

Nice looking machine, your left leg will think it's in heaven now lol

barbender

I can't even imagine running your old forwarder trying to keep up with your new processor. BTW, I am really jealous of that 16' wood- we get to load our forwarders twice, that long wood would be so much faster to move.
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lopet

Nice machine.   I thought you guys are buried in snow, or has it disappeared already ?

wannaergo

Not sure if this fits here, but our forwarder search is done. This pig should be on our job Tuesday.  Fresh out of the factory.

2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

barbender

How many ton rated is that machine, wannaergo? I will say one thing I like about the Cat, and other US built forwarders I've seen- the cabs and hoods are built like skidders i.e. heavy duty panels and gaurding. Brush proof. You have to be careful in brush with Ponsse forwarders, the panels are more along the lines of automotive than forestry IMO.
Too many irons in the fire

1270d

i think they are rated at 15 ton

thecfarm

Let's see The Cat with a load of wood!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

furltech

Ken has the porter been extended for two bays of ten foot if it has i will give you a heads up if you fill the back bay with nothing on the front the torque from the drive train will lift the cab up in the air and it will flip over ,if you put it in reverse.you dont need much on the front bay to offset this problem.just remembered that little gem after seeing one again it has been awhile .That was the first thing i drilled into every operators head the shift before they flipped it ,and every one except two of us did i came close once but the harv got his head on my wheel and shoved me back down .every time it happens it breaks the two bolts holding the frame brake in

Ken

Back searching again.  Although the old 1010B has been a very tough machine it has almost 40000 hours now and is tired.  I've found a couple of local machines that I would like opinions on from those who have experience with either.  There is both a 2014 Ponsse Wisent (12 tonne) and a 2010 Rottne Rapid (16 tonne) for sale in the area.  Both machines have been maintained by owners with very good service records and both have about 11K hours.  The Wisent is considerably more pricy.  Both machines are in very good shape.  The majority of my harvesting are clearcuts although we do partial cuts at times. Any opinions on either model would be appreciated.  PM me if you would rather not comment on the forum. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

furltech

I have operated both .the wisent definetly more comfortable if i had my choice i would take the wisent .But i am a timberjack guy through and through .

bushmechanic

Hey Ken I was looking at an ad on NL classifieds for a Tigercat 1070 forwarder located in Labrador, was probably on the muskrat falls project, would fit your needs perfectly.

Thank You Sponsors!