iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SCANDINAVIAN SCRIBE METHODS

Started by UNCLEBUCK, June 10, 2003, 12:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLEBUCK

I found a picture on the internet of a pretty log cabin and just had to post it , looks like the scribed way and a very good job of peeling .                                                                                  
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

blue_eyed_devil

Sorry I took sooo long to reply Uncle Buck.The house is now reassembled and closed-in nearly 3000 mile away from were I first peeled and fitted those logs.A couple shots of it....

262 xp,395 xp,built my own chainsaw mill

UNCLEBUCK

holy cow blue ! that is beautiful ,oh my oh my ! I figured you were gettin after it pretty good being you werent checkin in once in awhile ! congrats , way to go ! I gotta show this to my dad , I will print this up . Ya know you really deserve to show this in a new thread of your own and show all your beginning to end pics because you got the hot scribing hand and its awesome stuff. I hope you do because alot of people would want to ask you alot of first hand stuff .  8)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

blue_eyed_devil

Thanks for the kind words, Uncle Buck. I'm pretty happy how it turned out.

I would like to build more log houses.I won't ever do a double scribe lateral again,but I'll get into that on another thread. Thanks again,I',m really glad you like my work!!
262 xp,395 xp,built my own chainsaw mill

LOGDOG

Is blue_eyed_devil still around the forum? Great little thread here I stumbled on in the archives. Excellent workmanship!

LOGDOG

Don P

I haven't seen him here or on another forum he used to haunt in a couple of years. He did do a nice job on his folks place.

LOGDOG

That's too bad. Guys like him are nice to have around. Although they also tend to be the busiest. Maybe he'll pop in sometime and let us know what he's been workin' on.

LOGDOG

Furby

He hasn't logged in since the software changeover several years ago.

Stephen1

To bad  it would be kind of nice to see some of his other work, or maybe some others.

Here is a picture of our Blind Mortise for the starter row of my cabin.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

LOGDOG

Exactly Stephen. Nice notch. Fixin' to do a little cribe work myself over here in the near future. We'll post pics as we go. Promise you won't laugh at my first few notches?  ;)

LOGDOG

LOGDOG

I spotted some nice log work going on in one of members galleries. Check out HARLEYRIDERS gallery. Great full scribe log work.

LOGDOG

WAGZ

Quote from: blue_eyed_devil on September 27, 2003, 11:25:51 PM
Jim
Nope, not hard,I'll post a close up tomorrow.
Thanks for your nice comments Uncle Buck.I spent months and months peeling these logs.It was more difficult because I bought the logs from the local mill.They had been through the delimber,so you can imagine the damage I had to deal with.The spike rolls on those things, leave horendous tracks down each side of the logs.I made a bunch of drawknives for peeling.The ones in the store were way too narrow (kept skinning my knuckles)
I got used industrial planer blades for free at the mill, just welded some square stock to them for a handle and gripped  it with hockey tape.I got fancy with the last one and made cork grips They work best with the bevel side down and sharpened at about  20 - 25  degree angle .

I got a really great drawknife from schroeders log supply "www.loghelp.com" 13" blade curved to the contour of the log, and awesome comfort handles..........it's made by "Granfors Bruks" ........

I'd do the same for somebody I liked !!

blacksheep

Quote from: blue_eyed_devil on September 26, 2003, 10:00:11 PM
Today , I started endbolting (splicing) my 60 foot logs over a mid wall notch.This gets rid of most of the sweep found in long logs and allows for longer walls.After the log on the right is final scribed into position.I make a 2 foot long x 3/4" wide saw kerf  across the joint. 3 inch holes are  drilled at both ends of the kerf.I plunge cut a flat on the side of the hole for placement of a large timber washer/nut.Then a piece of all thread is dropped in, bolting the logs together.Everything is galvanized.Untreated metal will leave rust stains everywhere.

I've been looking for this 'method'. I'm in the beginning stages of designing our log cabin. We're limited to 20' length logs give or take due to man power and no use of heavy equipment. I've been trying to find a method that allows you to splice the logs and cover that in a notch. I like that you hid them in the mid walls. Is it possible to splice logs like this with green logs? Or would shrinkage cause problems with the butted ends?

Also, it looks like your just splicing one or two logs. I'd be splicing down the entire length of the wall, verticalwise. So say, I have 20' logs stacked 10 high. Id want to splice another 10 logs, 20' in length, then put in a mid log wall on the splice notch such as you. End result would give me a 40' wall. Does that make sense? Wondering if that would be structurally sound if I use galvanized bolts and hardware to hold together.

Scotty2

See if you can find a copy of 'Short Log and Timber Framing' by James Mitchell...great for those wanting to use shorter/easier pieces of wood. (I think Abebooks.com may have a copy)
Side Notes; Wood doesn't shrink much in length...I recall the old 2x4 balloon framing days where they would use 20' long studs and frame 2 stories at once...they figured 1" of settling...thus horizontal log builders rarely adjust for shrinkage in length...vs. a green horizontal log builder would have to figure up to 3/4" per foot of wall height (depending on specie, roof type etc.).
Scotty

KoBa

Quote from: blue_eyed_devil on September 08, 2003, 09:59:34 AM
I have been building a log house for my parents using the double-cut lateral that was mentioned above.Here is a picture of my Mackie scriber

I use in my work logscriber IZBA from Russia. This is an analogue Gearhead scriber

video work with logscriber IZBA
You never know what you can do till you try.
Just DO IT!

Stephen1

Great video, thanks for posting, tell us some more of where you are from?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

KoBa

Quote from: Stephen1 on August 21, 2018, 09:57:43 AM
Great video, thanks for posting, tell us some more of where you are from?
Good day! Thank you! I'm from Russia. I am engaged in building houses from logs and beams. Now I'm building here so here's the house to the customer

[/img]

Re: SCANDINAVIAN SCRIBE METHODS
Just DO IT!

Stephen1

Thats looks very interesting. Are you in the USA?

KoBa

Quote from: Stephen1 on August 21, 2018, 03:33:37 PM
Thats looks very interesting. Are you in the USA?
No, now I'm in Russia. It was not possible to visit your country yet, but I think this will happen someday) Now only work is underway to send our logscriber to Canada and the US
Just DO IT!

Stephen1

I see you are in Quebec, Canada, I am in the next province, Ontario.
Where in Quebec are you?

KoBa

Quote from: Stephen1 on August 28, 2018, 09:54:01 AM
I see you are in Quebec, Canada, I am in the next province, Ontario.
Where in Quebec are you?
I am in Russia now. I indicated the country to Canada so that I could register on this forum))savvy
and more, we have a novelty here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0F2_8wWBas
http://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=251950
Just DO IT!

firefighter ontheside

My home is Scandinavian scribed and Swedish cope corners.  The shell was built by Senty Log Homes in MN and then disassembled and trucked down to Missouri where we restacked it and I finished it.  I love it.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

badger1

Its a beautiful scriber to be sure. I'd love to test one out.

I noticed though in the video, that you are using the same setting for scribing the lateral, notch, and flyway. This IMO is not the preferred method, there should be allowance for settling of the log, tightening of the notch and relief of the flyway. I also couldnt help but cringe when the gentlemen was adjusting the scribe arms between scribes. No offense, and Im no scribe snob or expert, just my own personal experience and teachings from instructors. 

I suppose it may make a difference if the logs you are using are seasoned vs green, and obviously you've done this before, but if the logs are green I'd be curious to see what the joints look like in 4-5 years without relief allowances. 
Contact me via PM, willing to help with projects for more experience
1986 Woodmizer LT30, STIHL MS261C, 1997 Dodge 2500 CUMMINS

TW

When scribing dovetailed corners the scandinavian way you use the same setting for everything and cut to the line. Everything settles just as much..
When scribing ordinary crossed corners we alsop use the same setting for everything end then either use a carpenter's pencil to add a second set of marks for the deeper notches and the extra space betweebn the protruding log ends or as just cut a little past the scribe line.

Thank You Sponsors!