iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got this sad 2013 TK2200

Started by thegoodlife, January 10, 2024, 03:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegoodlife

Picked this badly neglected mill up the other week.  So sad that it has been left out in the elements, maybe most of its life.  Hardly done any milling - 77.6 hours to be precise.  Engine was seized.  1.5l of water in the sump.  Put in many hours to repair.  Manage to get the engine unseized.  Will update more when I get a chance.

Ianab

Hopefully the price was right? Might take a few $ and time to get it back into shape, but if all the main bits are intact, then even a dodgy engine is replaceable.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Bruno of NH

Hopefully you will have it back up and sawing nice straight lumber.
Keep us posted
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

chickenchaser

Wow!

I'd say just the price difference between 2013 and 2023 gives you quite some room to play.

WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

jpassardi

It'll be worth it. I got my mill from a guy who hardly used it then let it sit outside for 10 years. The tower that holds the gas struts was seized and mice filled the engine housing with nests but after some work I've milled several thousand BF and continue to make upgrades to it along the way.
Good luck
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Stephen1

Keep the pics coming. I'd say you are going to make out ok with that. The bones are good.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SawyerTed

Looks like a great project.  Looking forward to seeing the progress and lumber coming off! 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

47sawdust

There's  a very expensive Mighty Mite for sale North of the Adirondacks.
It has also been sorely neglected. Very sad to see.

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thegoodlife

Thanks all for your feedback.
A few more photos to update the progress and show the condition.
The saw head has been separated from the engine, pump, tank, & the 4 post frame so we can clean up and repair all the rust & repaint.
Notice the bent log loader bracket?  No log loader arms etc with the mill so we will likely fabricate something as the freight cost from Timberking was very high.
All the chains were rusted solid so all will be replaced.

barbender

Wow, what a project! I'd be soaking all of those chains in a drum of ATF, I bet they'll come back to life.
Too many irons in the fire

chet

I was going to make the same ATF suggestion , until I got to the previous post.   :D :D :D  Yer going to have a great mill when completed.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

caveman

Quote from: barbender on January 11, 2024, 10:09:00 AMow, what a project! I'd be soaking all of those chains in a drum of ATF, I bet they'll come back to life.
That is exactly what we did with the chain on the LT-30 we recently acquired.  Loosened it up considerably. 
Caveman

thegoodlife

On my LT40 all the chains get soaked in ATF and brought them back from a semi seized state.  But most the chains on this one are a bit far gone & besides already broken from the previous guy trying to move things without a decent soak first.
I'm thinking to forget the log loaders and fabricate a log loading deck ran off the loader hydraulics.

Maplewalnut

Great looking project, this will be very rewarding to saw on this machine when you get her up and running!  Like the idea of the log deck, I think that is the way I would go as well.  Good luck on the project I look forward to seeing her doing what she was meant to do.
LT50 Woodmizer, Nyle L200 Kiln, Woodmizer BSM250 sharpener, Cooks dual tooth sharpener.

barbender

I hope you can salvage the Kubota, that's about as good of an engine as you'll find in that size.

Magicman

New chains generally should get new sprockets unless they are in new condition.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thegoodlife

Quote from: Magicman on January 11, 2024, 08:21:25 PM
New chains generally should get new sprockets unless they are in new condition.
Good idea when due to wear as the new chain will not match the tooth spacing on the old sprockets.  In this case only 77.6 hours on the mill & the chains have failed due to excessive rust.  The sprockets have surface rust but no wear.

Peter Drouin

The guy that had it before must have died to let it that bad.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Quote from: thegoodlife on January 12, 2024, 04:13:21 AMThe sprockets have surface rust but no wear.
Yes, you should be "good to go" with your sprockets.  ATF is your friend, but let me add that a 50-50 mix of ATF and Acetone will do wonders as a penetrate when you are needing large batches.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

newoodguy78

That's quite a project. It amazes me how such a useful machine can be let go so far. I know of about 6 mills sitting in the condition of yours or worse. Tried to strike deals on several of them to no avail.
One plus to rebuilding a let go machine be it a sawmill or something else you get real familiar with how they work and what to keep an eye on once they're up and running. Something that's worth a lot to me.

barbender

Sawmills seem especially prone to this level of neglect, for some reason.

newoodguy78

thegoodlife

Quote from: Magicman on January 12, 2024, 09:05:20 AM
Quote from: thegoodlife on January 12, 2024, 04:13:21 AMThe sprockets have surface rust but no wear.
Yes, you should be "good to go" with your sprockets.  ATF is your friend, but let me add that a 50-50 mix of ATF and Acetone will do wonders as a penetrate when you are needing large batches.

I've never tried ATF & acetone but have used ATF & Diesel in a 50-50 mix.  You've got me interested in trying some - thank you

Rocks4U

Whats going on with that asv rc100 in the background

chet

I've had really good results with stuff I could fit in a jar with ATF and run it through my ultrasonic cleaner.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Thank You Sponsors!