iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2020 ??

Started by Magicman, January 01, 2020, 07:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

OK.  OWMBO is not in the forestry forum Woodapedia.  So what is it.Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Banjo picker

I guess that would have different meanings to different people.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

goose63

Wallnut slabs

A 3 1/2 inch thick fire place mantel

And this and its not Monday

That glass door is going to be DanG spendy

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Walnut Beast

Maybe that's telling you Sunday should be a day of rest and relaxation 🤔. Hopefully you Get your door fixed soon 👍

doc henderson

I broke one once if that makes you feel any better.  had a spare plastic one.  was over getting a highly valuable walnut tree.  @Southside   :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

TimW

Each I have had a tractor mishap, pine limb knocked off rear valve stem and a sharp pine limb through a radiator hose................all happened around dusk on a Sunday.
        hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Patrick NC

Picked up some more nice cedar this weekend. The trees were really bad bushy, but very little heart rot and nice color. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

terrifictimbersllc

Always amazing how nice the cedar boards are compared to what the logs look like.  8)

Actually that log looks pretty good.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

goose63

That glass door is not as bad as I thought $ 425 but I have to wate a month to get it
goose

Andries

Way better to wait a month in August, than wait a month in February.
The Dakotas can get a bit chill at that time of the year.
😨😨
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Magicman

Luke's and my sawing went very well today.  Yes, I was very concerned about whether we could stage and handle them but so far so good.

The logs had to be skidded uphill and turned 90°.

This should be enough to start on so now the sawmill was backed in.

It fit just as planned and there was plenty of shade.

Mostly 20' logs so no sawmill seat.  :o

Luke with the customer and his 92 year old Mom.  :)

We didn't get much done before rain shut us down.  Tomorrow will be another day.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SpaceBus

Quote from: goose63 on August 03, 2020, 04:55:13 PM
That glass door is not as bad as I thought $ 425 but I have to wate a month to get it
Painful, but not as bad as I would have thought. 
Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

goose63

Quote from: SpaceBus on August 04, 2020, 07:43:18 AM
Quote from: goose63 on August 03, 2020, 04:55:13 PM
Painful, but not as bad as I would have thought.
Just wate till you hear about the right door it don't look any better than the left whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley
goose

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on August 03, 2020, 09:11:25 PMMostly 20' logs so no sawmill seat.
With the sawmill operator's seat off I happened to notice this:

One of the cam followers under the seat had seized, so it got replaced with my "next worse" cam follower.  Unless they are frozen, anytime that I replace a cam follower on the sawmill head, it's next duty is the operator's seat.

Our day went well and even though there is lost time staging the logs, we are gradually whittling the whack down.  We will not saw tomorrow so these five 20 footers will be waiting for us Thursday morning.

We still have the largest logs left and there are several 20' log with 36"-37" butts!!  I have no idea what we will do with them yet??  The customer needs fourteen 20' 6X6's, so all depends upon whether we get them before we get to the 36"+ logs.  Hopefully we can whack them back to 12' and saw 1X12's.

No way will we finish this job this week so I have had to reschedule my next 2 jobs, both of which are road trips.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TimW

Thank God for Grandkids.  Hang in there Lynn!
       hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

WV Sawmiller

Yeah, my wife and I agree if we'd known they were so much fun we'd have had them first. :D 

I have an 8 & 12 y/o gd here who plan to put up my new, to me, 14' X 8' tent. They dug out the blow up mattress and the air compressor and sleeping bags and such and are looking forward to camping in the back yard tonight.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jim_Rogers

I got some 2x10x10'6" red oak planks out of that log I had trouble with loading, yesterday.
More flitches to edge today, from that log.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

mike_belben

I salvaged what i could from this old oak to make some trailer decking, truckbed sides and craft wood for wife.  

The sides came out okay.  Tops are tall so i can lash them together and prevent bulging out.  

Off the go deliver firewood to a very annoying customer. 
Praise The Lord

SpaceBus

@mike_belben I've never seen a mill like that one. Did you make it yourself? 
Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

WV Sawmiller

A neighbor a mile up the road lives in a log house - actually it is a wood frame house with small peeled poplar poles cut in half and placed over the wood framing with wide, white mortar in between. Because of a gutter drain issue she has some rotten logs and she called me to come meet with her contractor guru yesterday. He needs 3-4 13.5' half logs so yesterday I cut down 2 small poplars and cut 4 -14' poles off them that ranged from about 9" down to about 5" SED. I pulled them and some tops for firewood down with my ATV and got out with the little JD750 and FEL and moved them to the mill on the front lot and split them as best I could. I will try to peel them with my spud bar but won't spend a lot of time on it. I might deliver them tomorrow if time permits in between other scheduled project like wife doctor visit, taking chainsaw from one "dealer" to another for a second repair opinion and taking the 2 younger local GD fish shopping.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Patrick NC

Got some more nice cedar today. I've got an order for 700' of 1x6 and 1x8. Going to saw it this weekend. I'll post some pics after it's done. Should be some real pretty lumber. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Magicman

Those appear to be very good ERC logs.

firefighter ontheside

I learned a lesson about answering odd phone number calls.  I tend to not answer them because they are usually political or some other garbage.  Well, today a truck came down my driveway and when he pulled up I recognized him as one of my repeat sawmill customers.  He said that he had called several times this week.  It turned out he has an odd area code from where he had lived previously.  I had ignored the calls and then the voicemail he left was a bunch of silence.  I don't know what happened there.  I guess I need to start answering all calls.  He said, are you still in the business of cultting logs.  Um. yeah.  He is bringing logs tomorrow morning.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Patrick NC

Quote from: Magicman on August 05, 2020, 09:01:15 PM
Those appear to be very good ERC logs.
Some of the best looking I've ever hauled home. Very few inclusions and no heart rot. I wish every cedar I cut down looked this good. 

Thank You Sponsors!