iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Birdhouses!

Started by bigtrees, June 02, 2018, 11:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigtrees

I'm preparing for a trip to visit our new tree farm. First thing in order is to mark the property line. Mentioned installing a fence to a neighbor, which didn't go over well. I spent some time online and looked for fence alternatives for marking property lines.

What I found is truly ingenious - installing birdhouses on posts at each property corner and then 150' along the property line between corners. The posts are 4x4 treated fence posts (like for privacy fences). I acquired some OZ-Post alternative fence post holders to use to install them in the ground, and built birdhouses in my workshop to install on the posts.

For those who care, the birdhouses will be a very clear indication of the property line. For those who don't have interest in that sort of thing, the birdhouses will be habitat for birds.

Below is a picture of the first 5 birdhouses I made. They are made from cedar fence pickets at a cost of $2/birdhouse. There are a lot more left to make - I figure I'll need a total of 50 birdhouses to surround the perimeter of our tree farm. It might take 5 - 7 years to complete the project.

I'll probably install the first 5 before the end of June.

Chuck White

They look nice and my thoughts, Why Not!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

lxskllr

The houses look nice, and that's a good idea. Less "in your face" than a fence or a Posted sign  :^)

bigtrees

Quote from: Chuck White on June 02, 2018, 11:37:51 PM
They look nice and my thoughts, Why Not!
Thanks!
They are not fine woodworking by any stretch, but will suffice for the application and the price is right. The fence picket wood from Home Depot is pretty rough in squareness, but that's ok. The one thing that I did to make them a little nicer is stain with with Behr Cedar Naturaltone all-in-one sealer. It's advertised as lasting 8 years, so that will keep them looking nice for a while (at least 4 years?). I'll eventually need to restain them but at least they won't go gray right away.

thecfarm

Good job. The birds will enjoy them!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jaygtree

fantastic idea! hope you don't mind me copying it. i won't be painting though.  jg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

Thank You Sponsors!