iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New guy with a Belsaw M14

Started by Chop Shop, March 10, 2014, 03:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Are you going to use an old rear end for the ring and pinion? You could rig up a brake master cylinder so that you applied the brake to engage the blade. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bandmiller2

Chops, I believe all Belsaws are right hand mills. If your standing facing the saw and the carriage passes on your right its a right hander, if it passes on the left its a left hand. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chop Shop

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 19, 2014, 08:56:23 PM
Are you going to use an old rear end for the ring and pinion? You could rig up a brake master cylinder so that you applied the brake to engage the blade. :D

Thats a sweet idea!  Ive seen lots of hay loaders that worked like that.  My friend George's belsaw is ran that way.  His is a 292 chev 6 with the tranny feeding an old rear axle with one brake drum fixed so only the other one turns.  Then the other drum runs a flat belt pulley with a flat belt to the mill.  It has a twist in the flat belt to correct the direction.

I dont want an axletube hanging off the side of my trailer tho.   I was planning to use a 4x4 front diff.  That would have a flange (for an axle) right next to the diff and the other flange/axle tube (longer axle) would be removed and capped off.   That would give me a very small right angle gearbox that holds lots of gear lube and is FREE.   I have the option of 3.9, 4.1, 4.3, 4.6, 4.9 and 5.3 to one gear ratios with this choice in diffs.

The flange would be easy to mount a sprocket to and use a chain drive.

I like the idea of using one axle as the engage/dissengage lever and just eliminating a clutch and possible transmission.  but it would double the RMPs after going thru a diff.  Thus making the lowest gears in the box turn out to only a 2.65 or so reduction, not the four to one I hope will work best.

I think I will draw up a simple plan and start a Build Thread thats not cluttered with intro stuff.

Tripp

Ran my belsaw with an inline six cylinder Toyota land cruiser motor for a couple of years. Started out with an electronic cruise control. The cruise control worked ok. Switched over to a belt drive governor and the engine worked even better.  I would recommend a governor over a cruise control.

Now running a Detroit with a built in governor. Mo betta!

Tripp

iwiegian

All gas powered combines and win-rower's that had auto engines in them like the slat six dodge and others had belt driven governors. I have one from an m gleaner.

I have a 6.2 chevy diesel that I would like try powering my belsaw with eventually.

Dave_

Quote from: bandmiller2 on March 19, 2014, 09:28:23 PM
Chops, I believe all Belsaws are right hand mills. If your standing facing the saw and the carriage passes on your right its a right hander, if it passes on the left its a left hand. Frank C.

I came across a left handed Belsaw.  It had a real shallow carriage.  Kinda an odd ball for a Belsaw.  I bought it, but never set it up.

Little Jim

Good Luck to you New guy with a Belsaw M14. I have one that I like a great deal that saws very accurate lumber. I saw on it just about every Saturday.  Yes you have to have enough power to run it but it does not have to be excessive. I saw all the time with an old "H Farmall" with no issue at all. I regularly saw 20-22" White/Red Oak and Yellow pine. The key to sawing is taking care of all the little things such as set-up on a good foundation, level lengthwise as well as front to rear. The blade needs to be running true standing up straight & true in the cut with the correct good fitted shanks, sharp bits filed square, saw hung square with the carriage, with both knees advancing equally and square with the carriage. If you have all these little detailed things squared away your little mill will saw pretty lumber for you with relative light power it you let it take its time and saw.  Build you a good log deck to take the brunt of turning logs & cants. The hard part is not the sawing, it is handling the 1500-2000 pound logs on the deck and carriage! There is a great deal of good information out there on the Belsaw M-14.  We are blessed by many old men that came before us that figured have already figured much of this out for us. You just have to dig it out. Make no mistake I love my little mill and it does a great job for me as a hobby. However, it is a little farmers mill for sawing out things needed on the farm powered most times by a farm tractor's PTO. You can never compare it to one of the old Fricks, Meadows, Vance, Turner's, Moffit's, or Corleys. These were old production mills that built our nation and were built to take the brunt of heavy work day in and day out. Listen to the old "Bandmiller Frank" He will give you some good advice. Good luck to you and be careful. Ease into it kind of slow until you learn what your are doing. Little Jim from down in North Carolina.

apm

Anybody interested in Belsaws should take a look at Little Jim's gallery. He's got quite the operation, there. Very impressive.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

hardtailjohn

Chop Shop, mine's set up running direct through a drive line from a Chrysler industrial, through a 3 speed transmission in reverse. There's a cable running the clutch connected to a pedal at the sawyer's position so you can throw it out if you need to. There's also a throttle and the key right near there.  It's worked that way for the previous owner for over 30 years, so I figured it's good enough for me!

You can see the clutch "pedal" just to the right of the sawyer's lever here. It latches in the disengaged position when you want, but normally is engaged.

John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

bandmiller2

Little Jim, you have a dandy setup there and a nice building. What do you use for power.?? Your Belsaw  looks like its new. Frank C.

bandmiller2

Hardtail, years ago I stopped to look at a Belsaw with a dodge slant six and automatic tranny. The guy wasn't around but there was a good slab pile and sawdust, must have worked. Frank C.

Little Jim

Thank you Frank for your nice comments.  Your posts have helped me great deal. Greg from up in Tn. has also been a great help. I regularly saw with an old 1946 H-Farmall running off the PTO. I really find it is plenty of power. The key as I said in the post is to have your saw in # 1 shape and all your set-up in order. Then it is just a matter of letting it take its time and saw. I can't buy any more accurate lumber than it saws. I have had it about 10-15 years. I bought it out of the woods in a rusty bad state of disrepair and have redone every piece of it. I saw with it just about every Saturday. I am getting ready to rig me up kind of a neat sawdust chain. Have a good rest of your weekend. Little Jim.

Thank You Sponsors!