iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawmll shed begins!

Started by lyle niemi, August 17, 2012, 12:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmack

don't know how things are going in Lyle's area, but Fort McMurray area got torrential rains first week of September. Probably still hasn't dried out.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

lyle niemi

Quote from: dgdrls on September 19, 2012, 05:37:36 AM
How goes the Harvest?? 
DGDrls

Harvest is going good, no major break downs. I dont have a real good crop but thats OK cause I dont have enough storage space anyways..lol ya gots to look at the bright side..lol

lyle niemi

The roof is going together VERY slowly, I got the facia boards on today and now its starting to look like a roof

beenthere

Looks great, but don't drop your hammer in there.  ;D

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

francismilker

That's one good lookin' millshed project.  I'd like to have one of those when I grow up!!   Instead, I'll settle for one that I mill the poles, beams, and lathes for with my WM-Lt-10 out of some post oak and put some used sheetmetal on it.  It will be 12'x24' (ten foot wall height) with only the roof and North walls covered.  I need all the breeze I can get.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

lyle niemi

I need some help making a decision.
After I get the roof on I will have to cover the walls with something.
I could use colored tin which is fast and easy and no maintenance but would cost a pretty penny to do.
I could cut my own boards and put them on and give it that rustic look, that would be cheaper but very labour intensive and the resale value might not be the same if I ever go to sell?????
Its still to wet and muddy outside to work on the roof so Im just trying to make some plans.
Any ideas are welcome... thanx in advance...Lyle

Satamax

Lyle, what about cement impregnated fiber boards, and rendering over it? I bet there isn't much rendered buildings where you live. Well, tho, i haven't thought of the costs of thoses materials where you live too.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

customdave

Lyle, thats a tough one, I know what your saying about sawing some type of siding which would compliament the saw shed & look fitting, . I hear ya about tin , colored & maintenace free, But the $ play apart for sure! I guess what I'm saying is I would look @ my log pile, then reach in my pocket  ??? & then decide! I know this is not much help, but its a tough call both would look nice!!!... Have fun & play safe...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

grweldon

Just a word to the wise.  As one who has installed quite a bit of the cement fiber siding.  It's heavy and very difficult to work with.  Attachment nails are not supposed to break the surface, something that's almost impossible to do.  If you do break they surface, they specify that it must be caulked.  I personally will never use any again.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

thecfarm

I have no idea how many out buildings you have. But too many can be a turn off to others who don't want them or someone may want them but can not afford to buy the house and the out buildings too at that time. I myself don't worry about the resale of my place. I hope that someone else will have to worry about that. I would and do use wood siding on all my buildings. I have the trees on my land but steel roofing does not grow on my land.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Delawhere Jack

A damaged piece of wood siding is easy to replace, especially when you've got a sawmill. With all the heavy equipment that will be running around the shed, sooner or later something will hit the siding.

Take a look at the barn project TWelsh completed early this summer. Red oak siding finished in oil. It looks about 10 million times better than tin.

Don_Papenburg

My opinion  , 
there are a lot of old buildings over a hundered years and counting . They have wood siding .  It takes a little labor ,b ut with latex paint the scraping is gone . Latex wears away so you just wash and paint .  Tin is about done in after 50/75 years . Wood is easier to work with.  makes less noise when you cut it with power saws.
I also like brick.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Woodchuck53

I like the look of used tin and the price is always with in my range. I've torn down some good size ones (barns) for the material and reuse it on all my out buildings. Wash it down, spray Ospho on it and paint the ones the boss likes to look at. And it goes up fast on the same stringers you would brace the post with anyway.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

bandmiller2

Lyle mayby tin on the roof but board and batton belongs on the side,it should look like a sawmill.You can leave it natural or spray on some stain. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

lyle niemi

Quote from: bandmiller2 on October 04, 2012, 08:15:31 AM
Lyle mayby tin on the roof but board and batton belongs on the side,it should look like a sawmill.You can leave it natural or spray on some stain. Frank C.
My planer is equiped to do drop siding, but that dang ol man winter is just around the corner and poundin nails in the winter is not my favourite things to do....BBBBRRRRR

beenthere

Nail gun for you Lyle.   8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don_Papenburg

Put the nail keg on top of the wood stove and warm em up . then you can nail up siding without gloves ;D
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

nas

One thing worse than pounding nails into wood in the winter is putting up sheet metal in the winter.  And I know how the wind blows in the winter in Alberta :o whiteflag_smiley  And a sawmill shed with metal siding just seems wrong :-\

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

lyle niemi

I had got some tin installed on the roof today, boy that is hard on the back of the legs. Wont be long now before the roof gets lifted into position 8)

Tree Feller

That is looking great, Lyle. You sure do good work at whatever it is you're doing.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Woodchuck53

Looks good Lyle. Can't wait to see the lift. Nice old Case in the back ground. Can't beat them for power.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Sawdust Lover

Looks great lyle, without a dought I would put wood siding on it. I built mine last year and I used all my junk logs to make 1x8" siding boards. Painted them with Cabot solid surface stain and it looks great. Its a good feeling knowing your putting up free siding. After spending all that $$ on that roof your probably looking for some relief. Check out my building in my gallery.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Looking Good Mate  ;) I have only seen one complete lift on roof done in my life so Im looking forward to seeing my second  ;) ;D ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

John_Haylow

2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

york

Well Lyle,this lift will be the first for me-take lots of pic or even vid-good luck,albert
Albert

Thank You Sponsors!