iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawmll shed begins!

Started by lyle niemi, August 17, 2012, 12:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

Quote from: thecfarm on January 31, 2013, 10:34:43 AM
I see the motor is under cover. What is the big plan for the "new"mill? Wait for warmer weather to play with it?
As soon as I get the oats out of my shop there will be room for the old mill. Dave and I got the 350 cummins running pretty sweet today.

dblair

Man winter hangs a long time up there . here's to a speedy spring . Parts are a great find . there's a mill near me that I would like just for the blade . they haven't cut anything in years but it will never sell in my life time so that's just the way it goes . good luck on your new find .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

beenthere

QuoteDave and I got the 350 cummins running pretty sweet today.

I can't get over how fast you guys get things done. Must be some kind of time warp thing up there.  :o :o

Let's see:
1/28   Found another mill for sale
1/29   Looked at it and bought it
1/30   Dug the mill outta the snow and hauled it home.
1/31   Fired up the 350 Cummins
2/1    Gonna saw the first log ?   ;D ;D

Good to hear, and look forward to a pic or two after the snow melts.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lyle niemi

I have a question??????
This 350 cummins has a transmission mounted to it with a clutch, in first gear at 2000 rpm the output on the tranny is 800 rpm, is there any reason why I cant hook that directly to the mandrel with a driveshaft instaed of useing belts and pulleys???

Dave_

The only issues are RPM and safety.  800 is a pretty fast unless you have a saw hammered for that speed.  Also, a sheer pin is a must in direct coupling.  But your idea is not that different from a PTO driven Belsaw (RPM difference notwithstanding).

SPD748

Lyle,

I think that engine, which is commonly referred to as a '350 Cummins', is actually an 855 series Cummins. That's 855 cu in. Does it have "Big Cam" cast into the block somewhere? I looked at your pictures but it's hard to tell with all that 'native decoration'  :D

Either way, Cummins valves will float around 2700 rpm (very bad thing, as I'm sure you're aware of). You mentioned running it at 2000 rpm which, in my opinion, is a little high for a stationary engine especially since you don't need the power that beast is generating at that rpm. If your output shaft is spinning 800 rpm at 2000 engine rpm, slow the engine to 1400 rpm which should reduce the output shaft to around 550 rpm. The engine will produce all the power you'll ever need at that rpm plus run a little quieter, burn less fuel and last longer. My Dad has serviced several thousand of these engines over the years. Many were gen sets where the engine was set up to run a constant 1500 rpm.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

reride82

Lyle,
Will that be spinning the right direction for your saw? If not, how fast is reverse?  :D
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

lyle niemi

Dave and I got the TD18 spotted yesterday, even sawed acouple of logs! The power is awsome!! It is abig difference from the 1105 massey. We will try to get the hyds done today?????

bandmiller2

Lyle,your Cummins is aparently a truck engine,how is it governed.?? If it just has the standard limiting speed governor your liable to get rpm droop when your in a hard pull.As mentioned you need a weak link in the drive line easiest is a shear bolt best is a slip clutch [like is used on many farm impliments].Your highway clutch will work fine ,just opposite of a standard toggle in clutch.A cable to the sawyers box with an overcenter lever,toggled over clutch releast.Shame you didn;t have the Cummins before you put so much work[$$$] into big red.Its all good Lyle keep on trucken. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

lyle niemi

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 02, 2013, 06:48:29 AM
Lyle,your Cummins is aparently a truck engine,how is it governed.?? If it just has the standard limiting speed governor your liable to get rpm droop when your in a hard pull.As mentioned you need a weak link in the drive line easiest is a shear bolt best is a slip clutch [like is used on many farm impliments].Your highway clutch will work fine ,just opposite of a standard toggle in clutch.A cable to the sawyers box with an overcenter lever,toggled over clutch releast.Shame you didn;t have the Cummins before you put so much work[$$$] into big red.Its all good Lyle keep on trucken. Frank C.
Yep, I said the same thing about the big red and cummins..lol Hind sight is 20 20..lol

lyle niemi

Quote from: lyle niemi on February 02, 2013, 06:56:26 AM
Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 02, 2013, 06:48:29 AM
Yep, I said the same thing about the big red and cummins..lol Hind sight is 20 20..lol
[/quoteIm not sure about the govenor, Im thinking its just the original one but the clutch is air operated, I will take some picks today and maybe you can set me in the right direction about the govenor

lyle niemi

350 cummins pics

bandmiller2

Lyle,any chance to talk to the origional sawyer.? Its hard to tell but it looks like a limiting speed governor,and the sawyer was relying on big engine to carry him through.Most limiting speed governors have a high adjustment for the top speed.If you can set that back[lower] to the speed your comfy with then hold the governor agenst that it should hold the set RPM's.You may find that big red with its slow torque and variable speed governor may be the better choice,and cheaper to run. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

lyle niemi

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 02, 2013, 07:59:04 AM
Lyle,any chance to talk to the origional sawyer.? Its hard to tell but it looks like a limiting speed governor,and the sawyer was relying on big engine to carry him through.Most limiting speed governors have a high adjustment for the top speed.If you can set that back[lower] to the speed your comfy with then hold the governor agenst that it should hold the set RPM's.You may find that big red with its slow torque and variable speed governor may be the better choice,and cheaper to run. Frank C.
I really doubt ifI can get a hold of the original owner, what Im going to do is use big red on the mill and fix the cummins up and put it on the shelf until needed. Big red runs at 1200 which turns the blade at 650 which should be good. I sawed a bigger log yesterday and it didnt even make the motor pull down, that I noticed anyways.

ALWOL

From the pics it looks like your engine is a N14 STC Cummins. It uses Cummins' famous PT (pressure-time) fuel system, and it will behave like a variable speed governor. Do you know what year of truck the engine is out of? That would be a big help. I think the STC series of engines were coming on the scene in the late 80's early 90's. Maybe even mid 90's.

Alan
There's a big difference between staying busy and making money.

lyle niemi

Quote from: ALWOL on February 02, 2013, 08:50:21 AM
   From the pics it looks like your engine is a N14 STC Cummins. It uses Cummins' famous PT (pressure-time) fuel system, and it will behave like a variable speed governor. Do you know what year of truck the engine is out of? That would be a big help. I think the STC series of engines were coming on the scene in the late 80's early 90's. Maybe even mid 90's.

Alan
On the spec plate at the front of the engine where it says model it says NTC-350
I dont know what truck or the year of the unit

lyle niemi

Having the overhead driveline is going to be handier then pockets in your shorts, I still have to build a guard around the shaft, I dont want to get a headache..lol That will be tomorrow's project

loggah

The governor on the TD-18 is a lot better setup then the one on the Cummins,and the TD-18 engine runs in a lot better R.P.M. range for the sawmill. If you could find a twin disc clutch and the right size pulleys the Cummins would work out then. I have a friend here that has a no.1 lane and its powered by a UD-18 power unit and it works great. nice job on the mill and tractor. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

dblair

hope you never break one of those u joints , it will beat a guard and you to death before you can cut it of .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

isawlogs

I like your setup there with the high rise shaft, a guard over that can be done and be strong enough to hold the flapping shaft if anything was to break, only needs to be engineered to that spec, and looking at what has already been done around that mill, I don't see how it won't be safe to be near that rotating shaft once covered up.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dave Shepard

Quote from: SPD748 on February 01, 2013, 01:22:57 PM
Lyle,

I think that engine, which is commonly referred to as a '350 Cummins', is actually an 855 series Cummins. That's 855 cu in. Does it have "Big Cam" cast into the block somewhere? I looked at your pictures but it's hard to tell with all that 'native decoration'  :D

Either way, Cummins valves will float around 2700 rpm (very bad thing, as I'm sure you're aware of). You mentioned running it at 2000 rpm which, in my opinion, is a little high for a stationary engine especially since you don't need the power that beast is generating at that rpm. If your output shaft is spinning 800 rpm at 2000 engine rpm, slow the engine to 1400 rpm which should reduce the output shaft to around 550 rpm. The engine will produce all the power you'll ever need at that rpm plus run a little quieter, burn less fuel and last longer. My Dad has serviced several thousand of these engines over the years. Many were gen sets where the engine was set up to run a constant 1500 rpm.

-lee

I agree, lower the rpm's to suit your blade speed and it will be much happier.

Weren't the 350's a Big Cam III?

SPD748, were those gensets 50 cycle? Typically a genset engine runs at a synchronous speed (multiples of the cycles). Mine is 1260 rpm's.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

lyle niemi

Here is a few pics from yesterday, I had a couple of man killers on the log deck..lol

SPD748

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 05, 2013, 07:02:18 PM
SPD748, were those gensets 50 cycle? Typically a genset engine runs at a synchronous speed (multiples of the cycles). Mine is 1260 rpm's.

I'm not sure on the cycle. I'll ask my Dad and see. I remember several of the sets having tach's that read to 1800 rpm and him setting the high idle at 1500 rpm.

Lyle,

That third log back is impressive for sure. How did the TD's engine pull in that beast?

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

lyle niemi

Quote from: SPD748 on February 09, 2013, 08:28:13 AM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 05, 2013, 07:02:18 PM

I'm not sure on the cycle. I'll ask my Dad and see. I remember several of the sets having tach's that read to 1800 rpm and him setting the high idle at 1500 rpm.

Lyle,

That third log back is impressive for sure. How did the TD's engine pull in that beast?

-lee
The 18 barely knows its there..lol Im hopeing the 18 will last, its se3ems perfect for this application, it is a big difference from the massey and the little JD. I dont think I will mess with little engines anymore, ya need that torque!

lyle niemi

Well I started to do a little carpentry yesterday, Dave and I got some more girts up and the hurricane straps on the sawmill shed, good thing there wasnt a hurricane this winter..lol Here is some birds eye view pics :new_year:

Thank You Sponsors!