iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bars for beginners

Started by moose207, September 17, 2017, 06:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose207

Hey everyone, I have been looking into bars and get most of the terminology around them. What I'm wondering about is brands.. I have seen every thing from $25 to $110. Woodland pro, cannon, Clarkson, and the ellusive gb bars.
Anything I should know that sets certain brands apart?
Ms270c (18"bar), ms440 (18" bar)

TKehl

Bailey's has a good write up in their catalog, but could not find it on their website.

The cheaper (and most common) ones are generally laminated steel that is welded together to form the groove with a sprocket riveted in the nose. 

The step up is bars machined from a solid piece of metal with either a replaceable sprocket or a hardnose.

With that said, I run Stihl and Oregon bars and get many years out of each cutting firewood.  I've bent more than I've worn out.   ;)  They are always available at my Stihl dealer or Tractor Supply Co. in town and I'm sure at many other retailers.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

John Mc

Moose207:  If you are new to this, I'd recommend just starting out with a decent laminated bar with a sprocket nose. If you do much of it, you may crump a bar sooner or later while getting the hang of it (operator malfunction, oiler problems, getting the bar pinched, having the saw fall out of the bucket of your tractor and driving over the bar -- don't ask me about that last one).  Better to have this happen on a less expensive bar.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Greenerpastures

Hi moose207
Most manufacturers have a range of bars, ranging in price and physical shape.
For example, a nice light long bar would be good if you were spending your time
cutting a few inches above the ground such as clearing back light saplings bushes
and scrub, your back would thank you for not having to be bent over it you were to
use a short bar, or a very heavy bar either.

The advise already given is applicable regardless, care of your bar is a must, if no
care is taken, then no point in spending on an expensive one.

Thank You Sponsors!