iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Mizer MP360 question for owners

Started by jjkessler, December 19, 2020, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjkessler

Wood mizer MP360 four sided planer owners, I have a capability question I am hoping you can help with as I'm getting conflicting info from the rep.

Can I reach a finished product thickness of .34" (11/32) after four sided planing?

My main product uses 7/16x4"x10' and 7/16x6"x10' SPFas the raw material and the finished size is .34

The rep says you can only get to 7/16 finished thickness and wanted to confirm with owners

Fits my needs perfectly but, the finished product thickness is a deal killer

Percy

I've got one but I have never gone below 3/4 of an inch finished.....only because no one has asked for thinner stuff...If you dont get an answer by Monday Ill  test the lower limits of my machine ....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

jjkessler

I would be extremely grateful to get a real world field answer from a current owner around that lower limit, thank you....only open question to buying or not buying this unit

jjkessler

According to Wood Mizer, the MP360 will only plane 7/16 min thickness. Would like to confirm that 7/16" min from an owner as it won't work for my .34" finished thickness need and would have to look at different machines

Percy

Quote from: jjkessler on December 21, 2020, 07:09:55 PM
According to Wood Mizer, the MP360 will only plane 7/16 min thickness. Would like to confirm that 7/16" min from an owner as it won't work for my .34" finished thickness need and would have to look at different machines
Sorry..Had a breakdown today and was unable to fire up the planer.....Possible wednesday...??? Anyone else got one??

Old Greenhorn

ANy change you can take 2 boards with one face planed and put them back to back to run through and get your target thickness? I ran ran a 4 side, so I may be spitting into the wind, just thinking out loud here. Under 7/16 is pretty thin.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Percy

While I did not plane a board at minimal thickness, I did have a 1/2X6 off cut to measure  height of the top head knives from the bed and I dont think my machine would be capable of 7/16.....Best I can do right now...sorry

jjkessler

Thank you, that helps. Going to buy the Northtech 400 series double sided planer as it can reach the thickness I need 

Thank You Sponsors!