iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Decisions Decisions

Started by High_Water, December 24, 2020, 09:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High_Water

So this is most of my collection of trees killed this hurricane season (with a few down longer than that). I've got mostly red oaks but also bit of cedar, some pecan, a couple of small bradford pears, a hefty chunk of live oak, a sweetgum (I'm gonna let that one sit for a year or so and try to get some good spalting), and a hackberry. Just for giggles, which would you throw on the mill first?

thecfarm

The one on top. Easiest to get to.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

High_Water

Quote from: thecfarm on December 24, 2020, 09:29:26 AM
The one on top. Easiest to get to.  :)
I know in the end that's what it will come down to, just thought it would be fun to ask, mainly because I'm sitting here in the office on Christmas Eve.
The leftmost stack of the short logs is really in the way the most so I need to get rid of them first.
Also, I've got a black walnut stashed at my in-laws lake house so if that were an option it would definitely be first.

WV Sawmiller

The pecan is likely the most time sensitive to rot as I understand. The live oak is already hard as a rock and likely to get harder as it dries more. I'd have said the sweetgum but you want to try to spalt it. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Lostinmn

like most things in life, I find the hardest to get to is the best one or is it the last one of the pile??  ;D

nopoint

Start with the longest. It will be easier for making stacks that way

Nebraska

The Bradford  pears 1st, smaller diameter, they will spoil faster, then the Hackberry (I have heard they go bad fast).  Then your walnut and so on....
 In my real world its whats on top  and closest to the mill at the moment, and well I have good intentions and plans but the actual process is usually different.....Like now the sun is shining  and I'd sorta like to mill  something, but its 5 degrees  outside so I'm gonna square up some bench legs instead. Maybe.  :)

GAB

I would start with what is on the trailer to free it up.
Then on the other hand if the trailer is loaded the probability of someone offering you free logs is higher.
Decisions decisions!
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!