iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Apparently it started early...

Started by Jeff, February 28, 2021, 06:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Clearly this tree facination thing started early. 
Today was the first time I ever laid eyes on this photo. Taken by my then 15 year old sister Lynda.  I was 4.

Why this topic on this board?  Please help me become even fonder of this new found picture by telling me there is no way that is a willow switch tree!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

My first thought was Black Locust but after looking closer it looks mighty Ash'y to me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

This was Beaverton Michigan. I think it could a been a willow. I know dad strived to have one in every yard it seemed.

Magicman

It could be and the bark pattern is right for any that was mentioned.  Our Willow bark is looser than that seems to be but that ain't "our".  Wonder if there were any "Willow Switch" marks on your butt log??  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kantuckid

I just trimmed on a willow Saturday and it looks the same, plus the branched trunk too. My Mom made my cowboy shirts, my favorite one had cacti on it.
 Purty tall boy for age 4? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Jeff

I stopped at 6'0.  I am the runt outside of most of the males in my family other than my dad. He was around 5-9 5-10

His dad's dad was 6-6 many of my cousins are over 6-4.  I coulda been 4 and a half I guess. picture was dated 1965, I was born in 61. We moved from that home in 1967. I do remember being sent out to a willow in the yard to pick a switch. when gven the occasional option to get a switch or a belt, I'd choose a belt.  I was sent for something often.:D

SwampDonkey

Probably willow. But after saying that, everyone around here for the last hundred years had to plant a box elder. :D And they are not native to New Brunswick. They are just as branching as a willow to, never saw a straight one grow ever. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_belben

boy its too bad your old shirt never got to meet your new hat. 
Praise The Lord

Jeff

You forget my sleep issues. They are apt too! :D

KEC

metalspinner

I was sent out to pick out my willow switch, too. 
Our willow tree in the front yard was quite large and had a Vee shaped trunk from the ground. One summer when I was 12? I built a tree house in it. 
I have all of mom's photo albums now. Maybe I can find a pic?
Man, I pounded a lot of nails in that tree.  :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Al_Smith

Speaking of nails in a tree ,at about 11-12 years old so did I in an apple tree that was huge .In dead wooding that thing when I was about 60 the tree got even with me .Ruined a brand new chain on a Stihl 200T .Poor thing finally gave up at at least 100 years old, ice storm got it over a year ago .
That thing was pretty plump and my niece living in the home place didn't have access to either a larger saw or a splitter .Last fall I clipped it off at ground level and split it for her .

Thank You Sponsors!