iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which saw

Started by 9shooter, September 23, 2004, 05:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9shooter

I'm going to foray into the chainsawmilling world and was wondering which saw to get. I plan on using the saw for both the occaisional milling and also for felling large trees. I'm looking at a Husqvarna 2100, 385xp, 395xp or a 372xp. Any comments from youse experts? I have been considering used saws, but may spring the bucks for a new one. I've had some concern about the used saws considering how when working as a sawyer it was not uncommon to run a husky for a year or so and then trade it in before the piston rings let go.
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

Timberwerks

Out of the saws you listed I would go with the 385. It's a great saw with plenty of power and it does have the inboard clutch which I prefer. I use my 385 for large felling and bucking.
I do have a 3120 for mill use. It's to big and heavy for me to use more often, I did buy it for primarily mill use but I will use it for other jobs if it is needed.

Dale

sawguy21

Forget the 2100. It is an old saw and parts are starting to get scarce. The 372XP is a good saw but is the bare minimum for milling. I  suggest the 395 or 3120xp if budget permits. You can't have too much for your aPPLICATION
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

9shooter

Thanks for the advice. I ran a 288xp when I worked felling and bucking and it was a beast. I was usually sore after lugging it around on those 12 hour days. Because of that I was already leaning toward a lighter saw. As I remember it, it weighed 21 lbs. empty with the bar I used. Maybe that 385xp will fit the bill. At least I can work at my leasure.
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

DanManofStihl

Pick the 395 it is a good saw to haul around all day and it will get er done. I have a 3 saws to choose from when I go to take down a tree ms 180 for little stuff, 036 for med and a 066 for the bigest you might want to think about buying two saws If you dont already have two always have more then you need.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Thank You Sponsors!