iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone know what NHLA Vehicle lumber is?

Started by oakiemac, June 09, 2009, 11:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

Saw an ad on Woodweb from some one looking for "NHLA vehicle lumber". Dont recall ever hearing this term before. Any idea what they are talking about? ???
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

beenthere

okiemac
It is a special grade in the NHLA rules.

Are you interested in the specs?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cedarman

Vehicle lumber is lumber that has been S2S.  It has to do with skips and chip outs. I think you can only have a total of 12" on a board to pass.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

oakiemac

From the rule that Beenthere sent me it sounds like a lower grade/pallet grade that admits worm holes. I'll have to check into it more.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

beenthere

PM inspectorwoody, as he may be able to summarize it for you too.
:)
Appears to be a structural-use grade, where strength is primary concern over clear-cuttings grade. And pallet lumber would be a good parallel.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cedarman

Are we talking utility lumber or vehicle lumber?  The index in the grading manual only refered to a section that had to do with surfacing as far as vehicle lumber.  I didn't read the whole manual again to see if it referred to it in other places.

oakiemac

Cedarman-it is vechicle lumber. The part I read said nothing about surfacing but went into detail on what worm holes could be admitted.

beenthere

There is a grade "Vehicle Lumber" in the special grades section (page 57 in my book)

Excerpts are:

Widths: 4" and wider, ..
Lengths: 8' to 16'
..rules apply to both faces of each piece as a whole of the rough or surfaced lumber...(i.e. no cuttings are measured or considered)
admit "holes" stain, streak, sound knots not over 1½", season checks not materially impairing the strength of the piece and splits along the grain diverging less than 1" in 12"..... (i.e. structural integrity, which may be similar to what pallet lumber uses for specs)

Elsewhere in the rules are Utility boards No. 1, No. 2. and No. 3

This help? 
south central Wisconsin

Cedarman

My book is 1998 and page 57 just says use rough lumber rules and then a couple of lines about surfacing.  That is all I had to go on.

beenthere

:) :)  My copy is '90 so there must have been some changes made cleaning up some of the old special grades not likely used anymore, but maybe re-titled somewhere else. Do you have a pallet grade?  Or might that rule come under Construction/Utility grades?
south central Wisconsin

Cedarman

No listing in the index for pallet lumber.  But did notice a listing for Bung lumber.  Now just what is that used for?

Dan_Shade

i'm guessing barrels, but i have to chuckle when I hear bung lumber

that's a new term "bung grade" board, i can see me using it often  :D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

beenthere

Quote from: Cedarman on June 11, 2009, 04:12:08 PM
........  But did notice a listing for Bung lumber.  Now just what is that used for?

Making bungs, to plug bung holes, I'd imagine.
Wood barrels have holes for filling and wood bung plugs are driven in. Bung grade in this rule book is specific to either poplar or plain red gum.  No dote, punky and brashy wood, or excess burly and twisted grain is specified.
south central Wisconsin

inspectorwoody

It is now on page 61 (2007).

Says the same as Cedarman posted.

"Shall be inspected according to the rules for rough lumber. Slight skips,chipped or torn grain,the aggregate area not exceeding 12" long by the width of the piece will be admitted on one or both faces."

beenthere

inspectorwoody
Hope all is going well.  Good to hear from you. Will see Burlkraft shortly at da Rox.  8)

In my old book I have that paragraph too, p64, under the Section "Inspection of Surfaced Lumber". 
Has Vehicle Lumber been removed from the Special Inspection Grade section?  I should get a new book.   :) :)

But NHLA doesn't often make many changes in their rule book. :)
south central Wisconsin

Ron Wenrich

Here's the NHLA rulebook in PDF:

http://www.natlhardwood.org/pdf/Rulebook.pdf

This one's the 2003 version.  I found the 2007 version last year and downloaded it.  Apparently they have taken it down, since it isn't on their website anymore.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

beenthere

Thanks Ron
I see they did switch some things around. Page 71 has the fuller (more detail) description of Vehicle Lumber that I have on p57 of my copy of the older rule book.
They must have forgotten to put page 71 in the miscellaneous index in the back.  So they didn't drop Bung Lumber and Vehicle Lumber  :) :)

south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!