iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Conifers ID Northern Indiana

Started by KODAK, May 14, 2020, 08:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KODAK

I don't know my coniferous trees very well I admit.  So I have to two trees two images each. Would like to learn more about them. So what are they?

Wattwood

I'll go out on a limb a bit and suggest that from the form the first one looks like Norway spruce, picea abies, and the second is mostly a guess- scotch pine, pines sylvestris. Close ups of the needles would help. Both could have been typical yard trees for that vintage of house. Rob
LT15 Electric and a couple Ferguson tractors

GAB

I hope Danny @WDH comes along with a much more educated guess than mine.
The first photos I think are some variety of spruce.
The last photos I think are of a red pine.
Personally I have never seen a scotch pine that straight.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WDH

Not sure about the first one.  Not enough detail to determine the options.

The second one, the pine, looks like red pine to me too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

KODAK

Thanks! I'll get better up close photos.

firefighter ontheside

The first one seems too sparsely leafed to be spruce.  Seems more like tamarack or such.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

barbender

I've seen some scotch pine that has nice form. In fact, you have to look up to the tops of the trees in mature ones because they look like a red pine down low. But up high, they have that peeling, scaly orange bark. As far as the OP, I have no idea what he has there, not enough to go by in the pictures.
Too many irons in the fire

moodnacreek

I have scotch here. They are straight [also dying]. Red pine does better up north. The 'spruce' tree will have potato chip bark if it is norway spruce.

GAB

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on May 15, 2020, 09:57:33 PM
The first one seems too sparsely leafed to be spruce.  Seems more like tamarack or such.
I thought that tamarack lost its needles in the late fall or early winter.
Would the needles be back by 5/14 in Northern IN?
Maybe KODAK could tell us if it sheds its needles part of the year.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!