iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

locust workbench top

Started by doc henderson, May 09, 2020, 08:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

not finished yet, but heavy wood.  still high moisture content, but going in a farm shed.

100 pounds each.  1.5 inches thick, 14.25 inches wide, 10 feet long.  My buddy Dallas stopped by and helped getting them through the planer.

out side, cut them down with a chalk line, skill saw, couple passes with a mikita hand power planer on the edges, and a 1/8th inch round over bit.  the sharp edges on a hard heavy wood like this, is really hard on the hands.

a little "pithy"  but also some medullary rays (1/4 sawn area).

a little water based poly.  the wood is still wet, and after installed I was afraid my BIL might only finish the top side, and create some stress in the wood (cupping).

1 day prep, we are headed there today for a family mother's day meal.  45 minutes away in Pratt, Ks.  The slight round over makes the wood much more comfy/safe to handle without gloves.  I choose water based finish as the wood is still going to dry some and I had nearly a gallon left over I needed to use up.  it is also fast drying.  I will give the remainder to Eric to use to finish the wood with additional coats.  Honey Locust is heavy pretty wood.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

That will make for strong bench and pretty at that.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

I had to go change shirts caused I drooled too much on the first one when I saw that 20" planer. :( Does social distancing keep you from bringing it for a visit to WV where it really wants to live? :D

I love locust wood.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

when I moved home from Albany back in 94, I stopped in Williamsport, PA and picked up an 8 inch jointer, and the planer.  $1695.  and now they are still about that price.  on an appliance cart, it takes 2 people to rock it up on the wheels to move it.  It is a work horse and easy to repair, maintain, sharpen ect.  The newer models are more if more tech.  this is a simple heavy cast iron planer.  it sits on a pallet in case I have an urge to move it.  :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Bruno of NH

Doc
The honey locust is very nice looking stuff.
I bet it would be a beautiful floor
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

VooDooChikin04

What type of locust?   Doesn't look like any of the honey locust I have here. No orange/pink centers and yellow sap wood like all my honey locust has.  I'm usually wrong though.
Locust is extremely heavy for its size. It amazes people when they feel a piece of dried locust wood I have around my shop. feels lead infused.

doc henderson

It was given to me by a tree service. He told me it was a HL. It was missing bark when I got it.  I took a cookie from it to a scout function and a second unrelated tree/forester guy also IDed it as Honey locust.  I cut a chunk (cookie) and hit it repeatedly with a tomahawk, and it just bounced off.  very hard.  I have milled about 3 of these trees and it looks like what I usually get when finished.   :)  .  Thanks, correcting me on species is usually @Southside  gig.  always appreciate the input.  I was up to over 100 logs, not including my bulk ERC pile.  I do occasionally pick up a log that I am sure of what and where it came from.  some of these I have had several years.  I am not getting any younger.   8)

WV Sawmiller

Glad you clarified that. I was thinking Black locust also often called yellow locust around here. That is the kind I sometimes get - I have never sawed honey locust yet.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

VooDooChikin04

@doc henderson I wasnt trying to correct you lol.   I also identified my (thornless honey locust) tree I received, using the leaves and the bark,  Makes me wonder if the thornless variety is that much different.

edit:  The difference must be in the SIZE of the logs. I googled honey locust lumber and the bigger stuff like yours looks the same as yours!  the smaller stuff looks more orangish in the centers like mine. cool!

doc henderson

I was adding to the prev. post when you responded.  I admit that I could be wrong, and relied heavy on what was reported to me on receiving the log.  I welcome the input as I am trying to learn.  no harm done!   :) :) :)  @WDH 

doc henderson

when I saw the rays, I wondered about black locust.  would of used it for high moisture and rot resistant applications if I had thought/known it was black locust.

VooDooChikin04

I have seen black locust from a cut down tree stand point, but i've never milled it.  google shows some that looks dark with streaks and some that doesnt. The cut down black locust I saw had the knarly bark on it, but the wood was fairly uniformly tan.   The thornless honey locust I have I was able to see the whole tree and the leaf groups. The back on it is much different than black locust, and even the bark is super tough.  The wood is immensely dense for sure!! I have some chunks I plan to make some shop mallets with!

WDH

Honeylocust is generally yellowish orangish while black locust is yellowish greenish.  Honeylocust earlywood pores are not totally clogged with tyloses while those in black locust are totally clogged.  Still, on end grain difficult to tell apart. 

Doc, your wood sure looks like honeylocust to me. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

thank you Danny for your expertise.  

alan gage

Just wanted to say I enjoyed looking at your messy shop. I get tired of looking at clean ones. They make me feel so inferior.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

doc henderson

If a messy desk is a sign of genius, i guess that makes us pretty smart @alan gage .   :D  .  i could spend more time at that, but it takes away from projects.  and i am always working on stuff for lots of people.  i still have roughed in duplex boxes with wire and no plugs.  someday i will get my shop done.  thanks for noticing.  i have a few neighbors that comment, and it seems a little critical, but they always stop here before going to lowes to see if i have what they need.  If i do, i can usually find it, and it does not cost them anything, if it is not needed by me.  it is a one man shop for the most part.

WV Sawmiller

These are black locust benches with a light tung oil finish.
Howard Green

Larry

Typical honey locust I think right out of the planer.

It doesn't take long for a change of color.  I think the workbench top is honey locust.

Typical black locust.

With exposure to UV black locust will turn a very rich cherry color and look quite different.  I really like working with black locust, wish I could come across about 10k bf of good logs at the right price.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ed

Honey Locust for sure....made my Roubo style workbench from it. Harder than hades and moves around like a hooker in church.

Was a challenge for sure, result was worth it.

Ed

doc henderson

:D :D :D smiley_gorgeous :o :o :o 8) 8) 8) :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!