Sponsors:

ATV and forestry

Started by lumbertrack, February 14, 2011, 08:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumbertrack

Hi guys !

I really need your help.

The topic is:

We bought a wood land two years ago. So far, I have borrowed the tractor and the snowmobile of the neighbor to pull out logs.
I don't do it as a living income but I work seriously. I sell about a van each fall.

The question is:

I want to be independant this next season. I want to buy a used ATV to pull out logs. I plan to use a small tandem trailor and an ATV skidder for big pieces. I don't know much about ATV. With a budget of 2500$, what is the best machine for my needs ?

Thanks guys. I appreciate your tips. 

*** Somebody suggested me a Quadrunner 250 cc, 1995 ...

GDinMaine

I would suggest an older Honda gear drive like a Foreman.  They are not uncommon in that price range but be sure to find one with 4wd. Or you can always look at an older tractor such as a Ford 8N .  That will do a lot more work then the ATV and can be had for $2000-3000 around here.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

chevytaHOE5674

A mid 90's suzuki King Quad with 2 low ranges, 4x4, and a locking front differential will move some logs. But the real problem is the weight of an ATV not being enough to move heavy loads.

I second the idea of an older small tractor. They have the weight to move heavy loads and are also for other things around the property like mowing, plowing, etc.

VT Logger

I tried a polaris 400. Worked pretty good. Be really careful about going over backwards, pretty dangerous that way.

thecfarm

lumbertrack,welcome to the forum.
Never heard of this before,
QuoteI sell about a van each fall
I've never tried a ATV in the woods.For what I do now it might work,just fire wood.What I was doing a few years ago,no way it would work.I was twitching out some good size white pine up a small hill.A small trailer behind a ATV coming down a hill would scare me with a good size load.Don't want the tail wagging the dog.My land is not all that level,rocky too.My 40hp tractor is fine with a load.But can see a ATV having problems.With firewood shorter logs could be hauled out.But trying to sell good sized  logs would be next to impossible I would think.Maybe your land is all level.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lumbertrack

Yeah ... well....

I have often heard that an ATV wasn't a tractor; it is obvious. But I thought that it was possible to do a decent work with an ATV.

I don't know, it appears logik to me that with a small load -a full loaded tandem trailor-, an appropriate ATV was going able to do the job.

I can't believe there is nobody else who use an ATV on a regular basis.

Obviously, I don't include people who live from their forestry. I was more thinking about people who do it as a hobby, just like me.

By hobby, I mean, as I said before, about a van (a truck) which is here 10 cords (8x8x4). 

I got a 125-acre land with a good truck road that pass trough.

Anyways, I still wait for your advices and I want to congratulate you for this good web site.

trapper

Here are pictures of the arch my stepson made for me that I use behind my 400 cc atv.
The log is a 15 inch diameter 9 foot long hickory. I have moved much larger logs wth it.

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Ironwood

I use a Gator, small Yanmar crawler, and just about ANYTHING else that isnt my back. It is all about doing it reasonably so you dont break something. Arches are tops for putting the load on something besides your "logging" machine.

Enjoy. Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

GDinMaine

Quote from: lumbertrack on February 15, 2011, 07:42:02 PM

I can't believe there is nobody else who use an ATV on a regular basis.

I used to use a Honda Foreman 450 gear shift but I sold it to buy a tractor.  I only had to haul about 5cord of firewood per year tho.  I made a logging arch and pulled the logs to a landing.  It worked fairly well.  I used the ATV for everything but fun riding, it was strictly for work.  Plowed snow, pulled firewood, trailered compost, rocks, dirt I even spread gravel in my driveway with that thing.   It had twice as many miles as hours on the meter that means I everaged 2mph for my ownership.  I ended up getting frustrated tho, because things were taking very long and time was always in short supply. It took me 6 hours to plow after a major snowstorm.  The tractor does it in 2hrs or less.   Sold it to free up money for a tractor as that is far better suited for what I want to do.   Unless you really want to have a go at it with an ATV a tractor would be FAR better for you on 125 acres.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Hanson

Ditto on the tractor, but since everyone has already said that already...I would personally go for an older Yamaha Big Bear, they came in 350 and 400 later. I have a 350 that I use for plowing snow and yardwork, its shaft drive, solid rear axle, Hi Lo range, and its heavy...my .02

Mooseherder

A couple things.  I think you'll need a bigger unit than a 250 for your ATV.
The 250 is way too small.  You may need to budget more.  A good machine will be more than 2500 usually.
If you can get the log off the ground with a logging arch , then you should be able to pull it.
I have Suzuki 500 machines and they can pull plenty but you'll beat yourself up along with the machine when that log stops quickly in a rut.

Ironwood

A tractor would be better, but that said, they are slow to "get around on" 125 acres. A  utv, which should be heavier than an atv, and will cut your "commute" time down, although certainly more expensive.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

thecfarm

ironwood,yes,you can make it back and both quicker,but I would not want to ride with you,would be a bit rough on my land,but I can haul more out than a utv can too.If time is a factor,than a bigger machine is needed.Just like the ones that argue about a tractor-skidder.Just depends on how much time you have to spend on wood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ahlkey

At times I will use my ATV to pull out a few select logs that I cannot get to in my woods with my logging equipment.  In those cases I use my older 450 and in the winter I have chains on the back tires.   I use a small metal sled to keep the logs off the ground which works well in high grass as well.   Yes, it can do the job but it will take you a very long time going after just one tree at time and if you land is hilly at all it can be very dangerous for you and your equipment.     

Hilltop366

Greetings Lumbertrack

I'd say get them logs out any way you can safely afford to do so.

Not that I would recommend it, my bil use to use a Kawasaki 185 cc 2 wheel drive to haul enough to build a 1600 sq ft house. he had it geared up with a electric winch on the back to lift the end of the log off the ground and a extra two batteries on the front rack. Them little bikes were tough but after a while it was done.

We used a massey 210 2 wheel drive (it's been very tough) with a winch to haul for a long time cutting logs and fire wood for personal use, 24" log would be getting to the max with that set-up.(needs lots of weight in the front) I now have a branson 35hp 4x4 it works real good the tractor is quite heavy for it's hp which helps in the woods.

If I was looking I would look for a tractor just for the weight and ground clearance for the woods around my area.

Hilltop366

Oops I forgot to put this link to another thread from jaythecelt he is using a atv for personal logging.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,48977.0.html

tjdub

Quote from: lumbertrack on February 14, 2011, 08:16:39 PM
I don't know much about ATV. With a budget of 2500$, what is the best machine for my needs ?

Buy an old 4x4 truck and pocket the $1500 :)

A few years ago a neighbor brought his ATV with a winch to cut firewood with us.  All he did was rip things up spinning around all over the place.  It seemed like you could pick up and carry what he was trying to drag and save a lot of time.  Not a real useful forestry tool in my opinion, but to each his own.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

furltech

i have a buddy who has a 300 honda and a tandem trailer that he pulls behind it and he has cut most of a hundred acre lot of mixed wood with it the trailer holds about 1/3 cord and he works alone and puts out enough to keep himself in eating and bill paying money lol

mad murdock

Nice pictures Jeff.  I like the curved pieces of cedar you are working on.  What you going to make out of it?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

jander3

jaythecelt

Quote from: Hilltop366 on February 16, 2011, 12:26:01 PM
Oops I forgot to put this link to another thread from jaythecelt he is using a atv for personal logging.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,48977.0.html

I'm using a '98 Yamaha Kodiak 400 (same as a Yamaha Grizzly) and a redneck cart made from my old riding mower.  I bought the ATV a couple of years ago for $1900, I have about $20 invested in the cart :)

Its 4wd with a solid rear axle ... I think the newer models have a split rear axle, solid is probably better for hauling heavy loads.  I've pulled some decent size logs with this arrangement - as big as 14" dia. by 12' (approx).  Last fall I hauled a couple of logs about this size for 1/4 mile uphill on a gravel driveway - I made sure no one was behind me and I didn't stop, but this was well within the Kodiak's capabilities.

A log arch would work better than my cart and I'll probably end up with one someday.  Make sure you get a winch for the ATV.

A truck or tractor would haul more but would have a harder time navigating through trees and rough terrain. So I guess it depends on the lay of your land.  I used to use my old Ranger to fetch firewood, but it would get stuck occasionally and it needed a wide path.  Plus it was a real pain to turn it around in the middle of the woods!
-J

Poulan 2750
Stihl MS390
Stihl MS650

VTLogger

i use a atv/snow arch all the time with a artic cat 400 it works great!!! well until kevin ( logrite) built me the awesome horse arch... thanks kevin!!

Jeff

Quote from: mad murdock on February 16, 2011, 06:29:59 PM
Nice pictures Jeff.  I like the curved pieces of cedar you are working on.  What you going to make out of it?

It was part of a log bed I was building during bear season a couple years ago.  The build is shown in this thread:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,39063.0.html
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sprucebunny

Honda 500. Solid axle and low range. I've towed a trailer with a cubic yard of dirt and regularly tow the arch with 3 tree length balsam.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

ChrisF

I've done some hauling of wood with the Yamaha Grizzly 660 we got at work. That thing has tons of power, and is a pleasure to haul stuff with.
Jred 2171WH
Husky 242XP

saltydog

honda. honda. honda. nothing tougher .i have a 1995 300 4x4 it was my first skidder skided 40 acrs of ceader with it .get the air cooled model no radiators or oil coolers to worry about.i have draged 16ft spruce logs flat on the ground. oil changes and a couple of cv boots are the only repairs. i also pull a 8ft drag with it .i have pulled 23.1 x26 forestry tire on rim out of the woods .got it fixed pulled it back and put it on. my nieghbor had a polaris borrowed my drag for his garden burned up his belts in about 5 min.so i tilled his garden for him.he is on his 3rd polaris .you wont go wrong with a honda.they will go were a 2wd tractor only dreams of going.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

tapper2

You can do a lot with a good quad and an arch. I have a 2005Honda rancher 350 and run chains on the rear when skidding. As long as you don't get carried away, you can get a lot done in a short amount of time.  

Belsaw m14, 1992 Ford 1720, Homebuilt  bandmill, Franklin 120b & a bunch of worn out, banged up stuff........gotta love it.

Dakota

Another vote for a Honda.  4x4 all the time

Dave Rinker

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Dakota on February 19, 2011, 05:09:05 PM
Another vote for a Honda.  4x4 all the time

Except that most older Hondas don't offer a front locking differential so you really only have 3wd. A machine with a front locking differential helps tremendously.

shinnlinger

if the deal is 125 acres I say get a tractor, but for $3500 you can get a basic Kei Truck  which might be an smart thing.

Here are some fancier units...

http://arklatexminitrucks.com/mini_trucks/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Ironwood

Govt Liquidation has those on occasion and some are 4x4.

Ironwood

captain_crunch

If I were to use an ATV I would build something like this to keep weight off 4 wheeler and prevent tipping over problem

The oversize tongs are just for show but it works well and if you put swivel in hitch it might keep you from going over if things go south on you
8n Fords have there place but woods aint one of them they are known for leaky wheel seals and NO brakes in brush ain't good. If I had to I would hold out for a Good used 4X4 Kabota or something simular. But size and length of what you are skidding is the bottom line
Critter above has a Boat hand winch and has since had arch changed to be higher. Will try for pic of revamped one tomorrow
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

NB sawdust

Another vote for honda!! Patches likes the hondas too so make that two votes..They always get you home !

SwampDonkey

I'm looking at a 2020 Honda Foreman 520 and a forestry trailer with articulation. The trailer is the MUTS (multi-use trailer system), made in Canada in Bancroft, Ontario. muts.ca

Any of you guys use Foreman models for puttering around the farm? My plan is to use it to thin out firewood and fence post sized rails for corduroying trails across damp spots. I have lots of narrow trails. It's a 2000 lb capacity trailer, but I wouldn't haul more than 500 lb of firewood a trip. Ground is flat with small hummocks. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

62oliver

I say an older Honda too.
I have a 2003 TRX350, over 13,000km on it now, almost all on my own trails, 1st and 2nd gear. No serious issues.
I'm not really a fan of actually skidding with an ATV though, but I guess that Logrite arch looks like it works pretty well.
If it is just for a bit of firewood I would suggest cutting it up on the spot and hauling the blocks out with a ATV trailer. The trailer serves other purposes too.
Before I had a skidder I just cut them up where they landed and threw the blocks into the bucket of the 310. Only problem was I was restricted to good dry ground with that machine. Did it with the skid steer too, but same issue.
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

Skeans1

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 08, 2020, 07:13:38 AM
I'm looking at a 2020 Honda Foreman 520 and a forestry trailer with articulation. The trailer is the MUTS (multi-use trailer system), made in Canada in Bancroft, Ontario. muts.ca

Any of you guys use Foreman models for puttering around the farm? My plan is to use it to thin out firewood and fence post sized rails for corduroying trails across damp spots. I have lots of narrow trails. It's a 2000 lb capacity trailer, but I wouldn't haul more than 500 lb of firewood a trip. Ground is flat with small hummocks. :)
We looked at the another Honda a few years ago but opted for a Grizzly 700 it's been great for forestry spraying and rides much better as well.

mike_belben

I have way overworked a king quad 300 for a few years now and its achillies heal is air cooled.  WOT for 6 minutes up a hill at 1mph will overheat it every time.   Its a lot of machine for the $900 i gave but has its limits. 

My deere 140 would outpull the quad and my old kubota L175 would outpull the deere.  Theyd all fit on the same trail and all about the same for backflip danger.  The quad can usually get itself through the most rugged terrain TO the log but then is the least capable of dragging it back.  

The quad will self destruct the fastest by far and is a pain to work on with everything buried under plastic. 
Praise The Lord

snowstorm

Dirt track did a comparison between a Honda and a 570 Polaris. They said it wasn't really fair. The Honda cost more and had 28hp or so the Polaris was 44 hp and rode way better. For those that say but it s belt drive. Nothing wrong with that. My 155hp snowmobile doesn't have any trouble with belts. Or my 100hp general.with a ate or sxs put it low range it will be fine. Somewhere I read some of the Honda's have a sealed auto trans. If it needed to be repaired it had to go back to Japan. That may have changed now. We I was looking for a new sxs I had two Honda dealers tell me I would not like it. They said it's slow doesn't ride good and it hunts gears a lot. Around here it's mostly Polaris then canam with a few kawasika sxs.

snowstorm

Swamp go across the border to chandler in mapleton and look at a mid side ranger. Only 6" wider than a atv and it has a dump body. Much easier to get in and out of. Just in case your getting old 

SwampDonkey

I'd never drag anything on a wheeler, it would need to be off the ground at the front at least.

I actually like the Polaris Sportsman 850 Premium, with some added accessories for racks and guards. It's 4" higher clearance than the Honda. Direct drive to. 78 HP

I might actually get a smaller trailer, I'll have to see what is available locally. If I could get a wheel barrow sized load of cut firewood into a home made carrier that would be just fine to.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

snowstorm

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 08, 2020, 06:57:52 PM
I'd never drag anything on a wheeler, it would need to be off the ground at the front at least.

I actually like the Polaris Sportsman 850 Premium, with some added accessories for racks and guards. It's 4" higher clearance than the Honda. Direct drive to. 78 HP

I might actually get a smaller trailer, I'll have to see what is available locally. If I could get a wheel barrow sized load of cut firewood into a home made carrier that would be just fine to.
when you pull the trigger on that bad boy you better hang on.  top speed would be 75. a used ranger 900 or 1000. find one with doors roof and heat. the body is big enought you wouldnt need a trailer. whatever you get should have turf mode

SwampDonkey

This one, not a side by. With armour and 10-ply tires.

snowstorm

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 09, 2020, 07:51:48 AM
This one, not a side by. With armour and 10-ply tires.

that with the 850 is a rocket ship on wheels. dirt trax on you tube watch some. there is also one that is 55" wide. i have 2 of the 500 sportsman. they were pretty much trouble free. if you are going to haul either in the bed or a trailer and then trail ride a ranger is far better. i have a general and my wife has a ranger. both have full doors and a heater. the tow rating on a ranger is 2000 lbs or more

SwampDonkey

Yeah the Ranger 570 has a tow of 1500 lb, 44 hp, 500 lb dump load capacity, direct drive. I'd get the roof and just the windshield to keep the bugs out of my teeth. Don't need to be fully enclosed as I won't be out in the snow cutting firewood and don't want mess with doors. Won't have to haul a trailer around in the woods. This makes a lot more sense for my needs. smiley_thumbsup

snowstorm

Good choice. Now full size 60" or 55".? With power steering? Painted? Or not? Tuff mode is nice makes it one wheel drive to save the lawn

SwampDonkey

58" wide, just the sage green, no electronic power steering, but will get 3500 lb winch.

The shop don't really work today, but a fella was around until noon answer'n email. Then I switched gears for the Ranger after he was gone. So won't hear back until Monday I suspect. Going down next bad weather day.

snowstorm

Our ranger has the synthetic rope on the winch with a wired remote. That has auto stop. When the rope gets all the way in it stops. If you ride the trails you will want a back window. With just a windshield it will blow the dust in from the rear. They are several rangers on Craig's list. Saw one 900 had 500 miles on it

SwampDonkey

You can just put a poly screen on the back for about $50 to keep the dust away. But my trails here are not high speed. I just crawl along. I don't ride groomed trails, got enough trails of my own.

Walnut Beast

SwampDonkey

Cost $$, don't need it. :D

Walnut Beast

I've got a Polaris General and it is a absolute workhorse. The downside is the box size 

SwampDonkey

Looks ideal for me because I don't want a heavy load, any more than a couple wheel barrows of wood when manoeuvring in less than straight cutting trails going around hummocks and wet spots.  Don't want to tear up the ground. ;D

snowstorm

The general box is smaller than the ranger

snowstorm

When we were in Alaska two yrs ago we went on a atv tour. This outfit had at least 50 rangers. They didn't have ps and they steered fine. They also had some new Kawasaki mules. They said they stood up good but were ruff riding

SwampDonkey

Only thing I see different on full size versus the straight 570 is the cab frame is a little different, 2" wider and 0.5" higher. But costs $200 less, no idea why. Must be a promo model or something.

snowstorm

There is a 2 passenger or a 3.  55or60 wide. Looks like the price is a bit higher on your side of the border

SwampDonkey

Last spring when I was cutting firewood along the road, a neighbor drove by in his pick up and said he has a side by I could borrow. I don't borrow anything. And I really didn't know what he meant either. :D But this spring I seen him running it putting out his bait barrels. Then now it finally comes together. :D :D

SwampDonkey

2020's must be wider cause on their site it's 58" for the basic model.

2020 Polaris RANGER 570 UTV | Polaris EN-CA

Exchange rate, but $2200 difference. Exchange rate is just another tax method in my book. :D

Walnut Beast

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 09, 2020, 03:20:02 PM
Looks ideal for me because I don't want a heavy load, any more than a couple wheel barrows of wood when manoeuvring in less than straight cutting trails going around hummocks and wet spots.  Don't want to tear up the ground. ;D
You would love it. It's comfortable just like a car. I've got aftermarket upper half poly zippered windows and they can be up or down in less than a minute. I usually have them rolled  down but if it rains or gets cold there up in less than a minute. The Polaris General heater has duct work just like a car if you get it. And your comfortable below zero easy. I sprayed my 70 acres with Grazon & Remedy with a 12 ft spray boom. Trees coming up are a problem. The trees I was spraying where small to many patches 1"to 2" and 9' tall and larger.  No problem! Put in low range and drive over and spray. I've got over a mile long trail through my woods and the General is a joy to work in and drive around in. I have had a Polaris Ranger, Razor, 2 Sportsman's and a Kubota RTV with full cab heating/air conditioning. The Polaris General is hands down the best all around unit by far. My German Shepard (Diesel) has pretty much got his name on the passenger seat. He is crazy about riding in the unit. 

SwampDonkey

No I was talking about the Ranger 570, I wouldn't over fill it. You can get heater and all the extra windows/hard doors for it to. I just want front, top, and possibly poly on back. I'm not going to be out in the winter here, only on foot or snow shoes. :D

celliott

If you aren't totally sold on a SxS, maybe consider a 6x6. They will considerably outwork a regular atv and come close to the SxS's in capacities. Same width as a regular atv, just longer. 
We use can am outlander 6x6's at work now. In the past have used Polaris sportsman big boss's. Very capable machines. Dump beds.
We've carried 100 gallons of diesel fuel/tank in them before. 700# spools of cable. 
I personally like the can am's better (better thought out and designed 6x6) but I think maybe Polaris did a better job with their latest 570 big boss. They definitely are cheaper than can am. But for awhile Polaris was the only game in town for 6x6's so they didn't need to try hard. 
They don't turn as nimble as a 4x4 but I don't really know how they compare to a utv for turning radius.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

SwampDonkey

I believe the Ranger 570 SXS is going to do it. It's just going to be used to bring out firewood that is already cut up and split, then I just toss into the pickup. Now I can reach back further from the road and beats a wheel barrow. Will last me long enough to realize fire wood isn't fun anymore, in maybe 23 years. :D

gspren

I have my Kubota rigged like you describe, hard top and windshield, no rear window and working around the farm at low speeds I can't see that a rear window would benefit anything. I added 8" high wood side boards so when hauling split wood I could stack a bit higher.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Old Greenhorn

Hey Swamp, if you have changed gears to a ranger I think you will really like it. I went for a ride with Bargemonkey in his up his skid trails on one of his wood lots and the thing is a beast, much more power than my mule and great ground clearance. And those trails were not highways! ;D I had a good grip on the roll bar and my right foot jammed against the door frame. :D My Mule would not have done them just because of the depth of the water bars, the mud wallows, and  the steepness, such that you lost sight of the road at times. I remember thinking that Ranger was a really nice rig, but the box in back was smaller than my Mule. Still, a very nice rig. You should be happy with that.
 The doors and back window are really nice if you are out in the weather, for wind and rain protection. When I am out cutting wood on a 'not so nice' day, I take my breaks in the cab just to get a break from the wind. I wouldn't be surprised if you added something a year or two down the road and maybe look for soft doors. I take my doors off in the spring and put them back on in the late fall. Keeps the heat in when I am plowing. Good luck with it!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

Yep. And I have all kinds of rail/fence post sized softwood around me to make curduroys across them mud zones. They aren't deep because I have drove a full sized pickup across them before. I don't want to tear the land all up. My thinning for firewood is to help the growth along but also get some new stuff coming. Right now the ground is bare of trees in under that dark canopy. I've thinned it all once and that was complete in 2011. Everything is closed in again. It needs another round. It works because the fir has rings the size of my pinky, so double that for diameter each year, even the ash grows fast. Sugar maple probably is the slowest in diameter, but sure grows fast in height. I take any stick of wood down to 2" so the brush is low to the ground and easy to toss off any trail if need be. A few years and brush is soil, mostly gone before 10. I do rather like cutting small wood, a lot less splitting. But fir and popple is easy. Spruce and tamarack splitting is a work out. I do have a hydraulic splitter at the house.  ;D

thecfarm

A sounds good.We all need a way to get wood out of the woods. 
I haul rocks into my wet holes. Seem like every time I make a new woods road, I find a wet hole. The rocks works for a uneven place too.
I too take my brush down small too. I try not to leave a piece of wood any longer than 2 feet. Gets it down on the ground so it will rot quicker. Than if I do have to drive through my brush, should not have a piece that is sticking up either. I even run the saw up and down the limbs at times too. Yes, does take more time, but it does look a lot better when I am done.
I do hate to tear my ground up. I hate and I do mean hate ruts.

snowstorm

i knew the general xp got wider for 20. didnt know about the ranger. usually its to make the a arms longer for more travel and a better ride. 

62oliver

Just a reminder, the OP was looking for something with budget of $2500

SwampDonkey

Yep, it's an older thread and has morphed into other options. ;) Made two posts in 2011 and ain't been back unless lurking now. :)

mike_belben

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on May 09, 2020, 10:27:43 PM
I went for a ride with Bargemonkey in his up his skid trails on one of his wood lots and the thing is a beast, much more power than my mule and great ground clearance. And those trails were not highways! ;D I had a good grip on the roll bar and my right foot jammed against the door frame.
Yeah i had a grip like that just riding in his service truck around town.  Drives like theres an armed husband on his tail!
Praise The Lord

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: mike_belben on May 10, 2020, 10:48:24 PM
Quote from: Old Greenhorn on May 09, 2020, 10:27:43 PMYeah i had a grip like that just riding in his service truck around town.  Drives like theres an armed husband on his tail!
:D :D I am not suggesting he has experience with such things, however, it does make one ponder.  :D :D
 I did follow him from one of his working jobs down to the shop and was a tad pressed to keep up. It's different when you are driving roads you know in your sleep as opposed to going around that corner for the first time. 
 I am sure if you rode in my truck on the way to certain type of fire call you would have had a pretty strong grip on whatever you could grab. ;D Not always, but there are (were) some calls you KNEW time mattered and you could make a difference. They were rare and most times I would drive 'normal'. But I get it. These days I mostly just cruise so I can see what's going on.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

62oliver

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 10, 2020, 04:43:17 PM
Yep, it's an older thread and has morphed into other options. ;) Made two posts in 2011 and ain't been back unless lurking now. :)
Ooops, sorry, didn't even notice that, haha. He must have it sorted out by now.

SwampDonkey

Bought the 570 Ranger SxS today, hopefully have it by next weekend, they had to order the better tires and won't be in before mid next week. 8)

Walnut Beast

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 11, 2020, 12:49:04 PM
Bought the 570 Ranger SxS today, hopefully have it by next weekend, they had to order the better tires and won't be in before mid next week. 8)
Should be a nice unit for you👍. Keep us updated

SwampDonkey

This guy is set up like me, except my tractor is Kabota. And yes, I agree $100 a Tacoma truck bed full. But I don't sell. But I think he's one of them guys that don't cut down low, and my saw is bigger. Plus I absolutely do not leave trees all hung up. Heck man, leaving firewood trees hung ?? Give me that chainsaw boy. ;)

#17 Time & Effort to Cut 1 Cord of Wood - YouTube

thecfarm

We all want pictures!!!!

Maine logger88

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 11, 2020, 05:28:54 PM
This guy is set up like me, except my tractor is Kabota. And yes, I agree $100 a Tacoma truck bed full. But I don't sell. But I think he's one of them guys that don't cut down low, and my saw is bigger. Plus I absolutely do not leave trees all hung up. Heck man, leaving firewood trees hung ?? Give me that chainsaw boy. ;)

#17 Time & Effort to Cut 1 Cord of Wood - YouTube
Yup I agree I don't see why unless on a property line or ravine or something they just can't be felled in a direction of the lean or at least in a direction they will fall generally you can swing them quite abit off the direction of lean even without doing anything tricky. If you want to get real tricky and technical there are methods to get them to swing a lot but it takes a lot of practice. Especially where they don't need to be pointed in any specific direction like they do when skidding whole trees and leaving trees cut but hung up is a big no no I'm pretty sure it's illegal in Maine at least what I was told either way it's a good way to get someone hurt. And I also agree I wouldn't even be interested in cutting wood with a saw as small as his once your used to something with some power there's no going back.i
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Old Greenhorn

HEY congratulations! 8)  I think you are gonna love that thing! You may even wonder how you ever got along without it.
 Regarding that video you posted, kind of made me cringe a bit. Yes, he could use a bigger saw, and a sharper chain would help too, but then I saw how he was sharpening and realized, he really doesn't know. He needs a mentor. His process is loaded with extra handling. Not to be harsh, but how many times are you going to handle a piece of wood before it hits the stack? I count those and reduce them, especial the lifting part.
 SO my process is to drop the tree, limb it and buck it into logs. Then I skid those logs (big ones I get one at a time, but the small stuff like he is cutting I might get 5), right up to the splitter. I buck them into length at the splitter, split them and from the splitter they get thrown in a trailer, whe the trailer is full, they got to the final stack. That is the least number of touches I have been able to work out so far. I use a little UTV skidding arch, wish I could make one that would lift the whole log instead of drag it. The fella in the video wastes a lot of time, but if he is having fun and making money, good for him. (I did notice he is kind of short on PPE for a fella that cuts a lot and his high stumps and comments about his leaners just kind of hints that he may not have had much training in this. Just my observation. YouTube can be misleading at times. )
 Enjoy the new machine, and yes, we need photos!

thecfarm

I don't have the luxury of high stumps in my woods. With the rocks, uneven ground, sharp knolls, wet holes, leave trees, did I miss anything?  ;D I just about have to drive over my stumps.

btulloh

Man he sure adds a lot of labor to the process. I guess when you're his age, all that extra time and lifting is ok.   :D
HM126

SwampDonkey

As you get older you find better ways for sure. His rough/round cords looks a little short of wood to. But he's just guessing at an unsplit pile. ;) But if he loads his Tacoma like I do it's definitely 3 bed fulls for a cord, like he was saying. My loads are rounded up because of the topper, not even with the bed rail. Took me more than 3 hours to do a cord, all by hand. So this Ranger will cut my time in 3rd. The gathering was the time consuming part. Cutting it was nothing. :D And I do move brush by hand a little bit to. I like stuff clear not riding over trash.

trapper

I cut my stumps high and when the tree is down cut another block off the stump.  Easier on the back for me that way. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

snowstorm

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 11, 2020, 12:49:04 PM
well good for you. make sure they at least give you a new hat. and the labor on the 50 hr service

nativewolf

Since this has come to firewood in the far frozen..where is our poster that did such a wonderful job documenting his precommercial/firewood thinning?  
Liking Walnut

SwampDonkey

snowstorm

well did you get the ranger yet?

SwampDonkey

Not yet, there is a snag in that it is impossible right now it seems to get the new stylish rims with the COVID-19 pandemic interrupting supplies. The good tires however, will fit the stock rims. So I could just forgo the new rims. But I will be talking with the shop first thing in the morning and decide what to do. I know what the kicker will be, I won't be able to swap them rims because they will be used. So that is an easy decision for me to not bother with the rims at all. ;)

SwampDonkey

I got the Ranger delivered on Thursday. After the 4 day heat wave passed, I forwarded two pickup loads of bucked firewood today to the pick up and hauled it home. The flies are murderous out there. :D Sometime will have to add photos of bike on my trails. I'm cutting a bunch of trails and then thinning off of them once cut out. The section I'm on will probably provide 3 or 4 years of firewood and I think it is only a 5 acre section without going around it with the GPS.

Anyway, that activity will be posted over here....

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=17457.0

I had bought an AC unit this spring, and on Thursday I put that in, number one priority of the moment. :D

snowstorm

any trails to ride there? open that thing up and see what it will do.. 55 maybe 60 mph

SwampDonkey

None around close by, and I have no money to throw away on someone else's trails. The government can't even keep the road maintained, and I'm already paying enough tax on that. :D Nope, this is just for my wood gathering and maintaining the woodlot. Also have some soil to level up on the lawn soon, drag a weighted pallet across to smooth it over. Throw an old tire on and put rocks in it for weight, lots of them rocks. ;)

Old Greenhorn

So when are we going to see some photos of the new buggy doing it's thing? I checked the other thread too, no joy. I hope it is working out. When we discussed windows, roof, doors, etc I never even considered your black flies ( official Province bird?). Maybe that puts a different light on? Anyway, would love to see some pics. Mine too is a work truck, and I do no 'trail riding' (who has time anyway?). The closest I come is when I bring it to a Festival and use it as an EMS vehicle, but then it is also working. :D
 Good luck with it. Have you thought about using a smallish trailer to augment your forwarding capacity? My son picked up a small one in a clean out job or something and it is real handy.

SwampDonkey

No trailer for me, I forward to my pickup out at the road. I don't want to haul a trailer in the woods trails. These are slow harvest trails with small up and down dips. My main trail is an old winter road that was dozed level when they were cutting wood with big forestry machines. I've actually drove in there with the Dodge when the place was replanted, even across a couple wet spots. It's all hard bottom except one spring out in the middle of the woodlot. Probably be the end of the week for photos, since I work the day job besides cut'n wood. Piece rate is great sometimes, it can make a shorter work week so you can get other stuff done, like firewood, and still draw your weekly cheque.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 31, 2020, 08:47:56 AM
None around close by, and I have no money to throw away on someone else's trails. The government can't even keep the road maintained, and I'm already paying enough tax on that. :D Nope, this is just for my wood gathering and maintaining the woodlot. Also have some soil to level up on the lawn soon, drag a weighted pallet across to smooth it over. Throw an old tire on and put rocks in it for weight, lots of them rocks. ;)
Tax Tax Tax 😡😡😡.  Metal bed springs work fantastic also 😂😂

runmca

The Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 S specs look interesting, 55" wide and 1750 lb. towing capacity, 14.5" clearance. Anyone have one?

Thank You Sponsors!