iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jackson Woodshavings sawmill

Started by Maleybrandi9, October 28, 2019, 01:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maleybrandi9

hello i am new to these forums. my husband inherited his fathers shavings business about 2 years ago, we had a mill that we were pulling shavings from down the road but we stopped using them bc we sell shavigs for race horses and they ran some blk walnut into a load and didnt tell us..needless to say we pulled all of or tralers from there, and have been struggling ever since. the family business has been open for about 25 yrs and we do have a jackson sawmill machine, but no clue how to use it. hasnt been ran for atleast 3 yrs. does anyone know about any kind of paticuar maintence that we should do before starting it up?

Southside

What sort of production do you need? I used to own a shavings business, bought bulk, made and dried our own, and bagged with a 4 station.

Never had a Jackson but had a couple we built and a Halsco. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ron Wenrich

Why not get hold of Jackson and see what they suggest?

I haven't been around Jackson, but have seen other operations run.  You'll probably need to get the knives sharpened and I would also suggest having some in reserve so you don't lose downtime.  There are several bearings that will need to be greased.  

You're also going to have to locate wood.  If you're not too fussy about species (other than walnut), you might be able to pull some from urban sources.  I think those Jackson boxes needed worked with a 4' bolt.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

dgdrls

Thank You Sponsors!