iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

electrical question 12 volt ac

Started by VK540_1, April 27, 2006, 12:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VK540_1

Iam trying to hook up a mosquitio magnet that at camp. The unit requires 12 volt ac power for the fan. There is no electricity at camp but I do have 12 volt solar system. Is it ok to run the fan with 12 volt dc power?

scsmith42

Are you sure that it's 12VAC and not 120VAC? 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ianab

QuoteIs it ok to run the fan with 12 volt dc power?

I'd guess no.
Need to see what the wiring is like inside the unit to be sure.
Can you swap out the fan for a 12v DC one designed for computer cooling?
If the fan is the only thing thats powered then that may be the simplest.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Den Socling

Or, if you need more air than a little computer fan, go to a junkyard and get an electric fan out of a car.

You can't run an AC motor with DC.

VK540_1

The cord that comes with the unit has a 120 volt ac to 12 volt ac converter on it. So i'm sure it requires 12 volts ac. Not sure if i can replace the ac fan with a 12 volt dc fan, would have to take it apart. I was hoping that i wouldn't have to use dc to ac inverter, but it might be the only way.

scsmith42

ok.

Ditto what the others said.  In addition to Den and Ianab's suggestions, you can try a 12vdc blower fan from a junkyard, or check the Surplus Center - they have a lot of very inexpensive 12 vdc fans in a variety of CFM's.

CLICK ON MY  EXTRA LONG LINK  ;D

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Flurida_BlackCreek

They sell battery packs for them so more than likely it's 120vac to 12vdc. Sounds like a wall wart converter.
I'm happy anywhere south of the mason-dixon line.
-- cdb

Thank You Sponsors!