iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

manual - powered de-barker?

Started by opticsguy, February 24, 2016, 11:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

I use a TK1220 saw.
Sawing is a hobby for me but often a lot of work.
Debarking has become quite a chore since I discovered that washing dirt off the bark of a tree is not enough to maintain sharpness on a blade. I use a long handled scraper and although it works very well, is time consuming.
So, my question:  Is there such a tool as a hand held powered de-barker?  Gas or electric, either would be ok.
I love this hobby!!!
Thanks for your help.
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Weekend_Sawyer

I was going to post this reply as a joke but it may not be.

How bout using a chainsaw?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

uler3161

I think you're looking for a log wizard. They work pretty well.
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

ncsawyer

I have a similar tool it sounds like. Mine came from Tractor Supply and is just a long wooden handle with a flat 7-8 inch wide metal blade on the end.  It works OK especially on pine bark and on younger trees. 

Check out the Log Wizard. Just google it.  They attach to a chainsaw and have planar blades...seems to work really well in the videos.  I seriously considered buying one, but I don't have an extra saw to dedicate to that tool, and now I have a newer mill that has the debarker option.

Uler beat me to the punch!
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

opticsguy

OP here, thanks for the replies.
The Log wizard looks interesting. One problem I see is the use of planer blades, seems the first time you hit dirt and mud those blades will get dull fast and almost useless.  Is this the same design used on de-barkers on the big saws?
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

uler3161

The planer knives last quite awhile even with the mud. But they are easy to sharpen. I have a 2" roloc disk on an air side head grinder. Takes maybe 30 seconds to get it back into shape.
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

Brian_Rhoad

The Log Wizard works very well to debark logs. The blades do not need to be as sharp as if they were used in a planer.

47sawdust

I don't have a debarker other than a spud.What works best for me is to make 2 parallel cuts with my chainsaw,about 3-4'' apart,the length of the log.Depth of cut is just below the bark.I usually only do this on the entry side of the log,but if the log in really dirty ,exit side as well.Then I use the spud .After making my opening cuts I rotate the log 270° so I am cutting into fresh wood.I say 270° as it is easier for me to turn the log into the backstops than away.
My spud is made from a leaf spring with a handle added and well sharpened.The Peavey Co. in Maine sells them as well.Some folks use ice type scrapers
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Brad_S.

I disagree about the effectiveness of the Log Wizard. I found it dulled much too quickly to be useful and it was not cheap to buy.
I find a drawknife used just on the track the blade will take is sufficient. Then too, my mill turns the logs so the blade will cut the clean face next so I only need the knife for a cut or two per face after opening.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

isawlogs

I have had a log wizard since 1994, it has gone through maybe 30 sets of blades or more. So I do beleive I can give an opinion on what it can or cannot do. Frozen dirt will dull the blades ral quick on no matter what type of bark it is on, Pine being the worst. It will not debark cedar as it has a lineare bark that will wrap itself around the drum of the debarker rendering it useless.
  As far as debarking dirt off a log that is not frozen, it will do a good job , you do not have to do the whole log, I waited till the log was on the mill and set to receive the first cut, and would debark only where the blade would be going through, and then only where it was dirty. Get  a few sets of blades with it, takes only a few minutes to change when dull and only a few minutes to sharpen. They don't need be razor sharp when you resharpen them, I used a grinder on them placed in a vise.

there seams to be a love hate relationship with the Log Wizard, had some here that down them with out even trying it..  ::) I have used mine quite a bit and it still has a dedicated saw, an 034, I did try it on a 42cc Poulan Wildthing, it died not long after, saw was new, problem I think was that the saw did not have the rpm's to turn the blades fast enough and the crank did not like the beating it got... The Stihl has been on it since '94, takin the small window that the Poulan used up into account.
  If you use the search on here and look for LogWizard you will have some reading about it.  ;) :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

An axe (or spud) used on the track the blade will follow and used to remove the bark where there is dirt buried is quick and has worked for me. Better than reaching for, starting, and using the chainsaw with a wizard. Plus much less dust and chips flying around.
But each will find what works best... to get rid of the dirt where the blade enters the log.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Stephen

X2 for the noise and mess, I use an axe more than the logwizard, but it does work.
1994 WoodMizer LT40G18. 69 acres mixed wood. 1952 ford tractor, Norse 290 winch, studed Norse ice chains. 45-66DT Fiat.

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: isawlogs on February 24, 2016, 01:19:46 PM
I have had a log wizard since 1994, it has gone through maybe 30 sets of blades or more. So I do beleive I can give an opinion on what it can or cannot do. Frozen dirt will dull the blades ral quick on no matter what type of bark it is on, Pine being the worst. It will not debark cedar as it has a lineare bark that will wrap itself around the drum of the debarker rendering it useless.
  As far as debarking dirt off a log that is not frozen, it will do a good job , you do not have to do the whole log, I waited till the log was on the mill and set to receive the first cut, and would debark only where the blade would be going through, and then only where it was dirty. Get  a few sets of blades with it, takes only a few minutes to change when dull and only a few minutes to sharpen. They don't need be razor sharp when you resharpen them, I used a grinder on them placed in a vise.

there seams to be a love hate relationship with the Log Wizard, had some here that down them with out even trying it..  ::) I have used mine quite a bit and it still has a dedicated saw, an 034, I did try it on a 42cc Poulan Wildthing, it died not long after, saw was new, problem I think was that the saw did not have the rpm's to turn the blades fast enough and the crank did not like the beating it got... The Stihl has been on it since '94, takin the small window that the Poulan used up into account.
  If you use the search on here and look for LogWizard you will have some reading about it.  ;) :P

Agree, my experience also. Although I didn't use it very long, I really need to get another.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

Thank You Sponsors!