iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What a neat beast

Started by Bobus2003, August 28, 2011, 11:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobus2003

This JD 2454 unit was brought out and was being Demo'd on a Job near mine.. Nice machine for sure.. neat to watch it work. And with a price tag of $500K it should be. Sitting Back at Deere:

sawguy21

I saw a similar unit on a low bed last week. Would be interested seeing it work.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

fishpharmer

At last years Mid South Forestry Show I got some video of a similar machine....a few minutes into the video.

http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv-google&desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US&rdm=4nq0fynko#
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

That'll have to cut a lot of decently valued timber to be economical.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

treefarmer87

SwampDonkey is right. i dont see how it would ever get paid for ???
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Bobus2003

I'd hate too know how much wood you'd have to put up to cover the payment.. Hell its 4 loads a month to cover the payment on my '99 Delimber

snowstorm

all ya gotta do is cut a lotta wood. that machine was ment to sit in the yard and prosess. too much tail swing. its a feller a limber and a slasher all in one. one operator one fuel bill. you got ac heat radio. 12 hrs a day is less tiring than driving your pickup. you cant just dwell on the price its how much it can earn. how many guys have a $10000 skidder yet drive a $50000 pickup?

Jamie_C

There's a few of those around up here but the 700 series purpose built machines are more popular. The 2454 is what they call a swing machine and is more suited to hoe-chucking or loading. The undercarriage isn't near as strong as on the true purpose built carriers.

Jamie_C

Quote from: Bobus2003 on August 28, 2011, 11:41:58 PM
This JD 2454 unit was brought out and was being Demo'd on a Job near mine.. Nice machine for sure.. neat to watch it work. And with a price tag of $500K it should be.

$500K ??? somebody is getting hosed if they are paying that much for that machine ... If memory serves me right they are under $400K up here.

snowstorm

i agree its high. seems like the cat sales guy told me 350k for a new 501 with the 4 roll head. he thought that was a pretty good deal and it may be. that waratah head is likely over 150k. with that type of machine you can cut 8" sp fir and be happy doing it. the wood flys through these things. under a min per tree

zopi

One o those on rubber and one of those thousand hp whole tree chippers and I could do this hurricane cleanup by myself...lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

forestry mick

A machine like that can produce so much so fast!! usualy they need only 1 day to make 2 full days of work for 2 jd648 grapples and a whole tree chipper :o :o Its not the payment, Its having enough land to clear to keep it working!

Ianab

They use that sort of beast here. But Kaingaroa is 2,600 square Km of plantation pines, harvested on about a 25 year rotation.

They probably have 10 of those things in there, just to keep up.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Depends I suppose on everyone's situation. If your a crown operator like here in NB you know how much you have to cut ahead, no searching and knocking on doors. So in those cases it would work. But I wonder if it would be break even (as in paid for by the time it's worn out) or if there is a decent return in the end. A lot of fellas say the cutting rates are pretty low on crown land. And some companies make you finance the equipment through them, like the Irvings do. They get you from both ends. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

red oaks lumber

those types of machines are fairly common around here. our land bumps up to 5000 acres of county land , there is a crew logging in there with 2 crews of processor and forwarder each gruop cost 1 millons bucks. any way the job is 7,000 cords  its a 6 week job. alot of crews are contract cutters for mills, that way they arn't chasing down wood or places to sell the wood.the going rate im told is $38/cord on the landing
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Thank You Sponsors!