iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Redmax GZ5000

Started by SnoJetter, October 22, 2021, 12:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnoJetter

Same as...the Jonsered 2252? Husky...???
There's a listing on ebay for this saw NIB for $380, power head only I believe. Not sure if this saw is still available at a dealer anymore or is current. 

What's the experts' opinions: Good price? Good saw?

I've got plenty of 50cc saws, but there is a little part of me that thinks it would be nice to have a brand new red saw before they are gone for good.

Real1shepherd

I've heard good and bad about Redmax....mostly negative. They are not the saws Jonsered were except for the consumer saws that Husky & Jonsered put out before Jonsered became Redmax.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but aren't they mostly clam-shell design? Are you OK with that?

Kevin

SnoJetter

I've got nothing against a clamshell...have several in the stable that I was able to pick up pretty cheaply. But if I buy new, I'd go for a pro grade design. I was thinking the GZ5000 might be similar in design to the GZ7100 (2171/72) or the GZ9000 (2188).

Earlier this year, the local box store had a cache of 2245's and 2250's that tempted me, just to have one of the last Jred branded saws.  But I decided against it not wanting to spend the money on a homeowner saw.

sawguy21

They had an excellent reputation never had the marketing in North America which is unfortunate. The GZ5000 appears to have the vertically split crankcase and separate cylinder, it was touted as a pro saw.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

rburg

I believe the gz 5000 is the jred 2252. If so, it is a split mag case just like the 2172, but also has carb control, auto tune in husky language.

SnoJetter

I appreciate the input.  Does anyone have a reference if $380 is a good price for a new saw of this type?  It "seems" to me it's not a bad price...but I also haven't been in to a dealer to see what a new saw goes for nowadays.

lxskllr

Looks good to me. Echo's "pro" 50cc saw sells for $470. You're getting a bar at that price, but echo tends to be cheaper than the big two.

Spike60

Not a bad price at all Jetter. The current Husky 545 is roighly $200 more than that.

Gonna leave the RM decals on there, or switch to Jonsered decals? :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

rburg

The only new gz5000 I have seen was $520 I believe. If I was in the market for a 50cc saw, I would consider 380 a good deal. 

SnoJetter

The best price I found from an on-line search was $499.  Whether saws were actually available for that price is another matter.

Hmmm...hadn't really thought about swapping decals.  That would be just as legit as if it were an actual 2252, other than (potentially) the date of manufacture.  @Spike60 are decals readily available?  And are they easily applied such that they would last without pealing up and falling off after cycling between 20 below to 80 above year after year?

The same seller has a GZ9000 for $900.

Oh, I should ask: I'm not familiar with autotune other than running one tank of fuel through a friend's 2258.  Anything I should be aware of in terms of operation or maintenance?

Spike60

Decals are still available, and easy to apply. All the factory did was create red max decals to stick on a Jonsered; you're just returning the saw to it's original state.  :)  

Don't worry about the auto-tune; just run her. 

The dealer price in my 2021 red max program is $380, so certainly not bad there. (The MAP price is $539.)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

SnoJetter

I feel like enabling is alive and well right now!  I walked myself up to the edge of the cliff, and you guys are more than willing to shove me over the edge. Thanks guys...I think.  Now on to a couple more questions. 

Is the autotune picky about the fuel mix? I like to run a hair rich at 40:1 on everything.  If autotune balks at that, I'd hate to need to keep two separate mixes on hand.  Hey @weimedog do you run 32:1 in your autotune saws?

Purely hypothetical, cuz no MN woodcutter needs an 80+cc saw, but how does that $900 price tag on the GZ9000 compare to a new 372 or what a 2172 would have gone for?  You know, asking for a friend...

Tacotodd

Quote from: SnoJetter on October 26, 2021, 07:41:38 PM
I feel like enabling is alive and well right now!  I walked myself up to the edge of the cliff, and you guys are more than willing to shove me over the edge. Thanks guys...I think.  Now on to a couple more questions.

Is the autotune picky about the fuel mix? I like to run a hair rich at 40:1 on everything.  If autotune balks at that, I'd hate to need to keep two separate mixes on hand.  Hey @weimedog do you run 32:1 in your autotune saws?

Purely hypothetical, cuz no MN woodcutter needs an 80+cc saw, but how does that $900 price tag on the GZ9000 compare to a new 372 or what a 2172 would have gone for?  You know, asking for a friend...
The last time that I heard, @Spike60 preferred 40:1 and @weimedog preferred 32:1 & no problems with the auto tune for either.
Trying harder everyday.

Spike60

Walt and I do run those mix ratios in the AT saws with no problems at all.

$900 for that GZ9000 isn't as good a deal as the 2152. I sell the comparable 390 for $1050. $875 for a 372 and $900 for the 572. So, $900 isn't much of a deal.

The upcoming 592 might end up being an exception, but I've never been into "new" big saws, and I own the store. The need for more than 70cc doesn't arise that often, and I like my Jonsered 900's and 288's for that. Few other classics; XL925, ProMac850. All were fun projects. A big saw in the fleet does come in handy when you do need it. And the project route is a great way for anyone to own one without having to spend $1000.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Tacotodd

Bob, I just got the information from one of Walts videos, and I knew that AT would handle the different mixes without guff (but you have to follow the proper procedure for the saws to properly "tune" for it) ;D
Trying harder everyday.

SnoJetter

Well...I made the purchase.  We'll see what shows up at my door.  I'll keep you posted.  If this one checks out, I'd like to buy a second one for my father-in-law...so don't go and buy out this guy's inventory just yet ;D

I would have trouble justifying the GZ9000 anyway.  I haven't even put a tank through my 2165 (upgraded to a 2171) after my recoil exploded.  That one will manage any big stuff that comes my way.  Plus, I need to find a 24" bar for it.

SnoJetter

Here it is. Showed up on my doorstep before lunch today. Was a long afternoon at work waiting to get home to have a look in the box.  I've owned exactly one brand new saw in my life, and that was 20+ years ago.  This thing is so shiny and pretty, I almost hate to put it to work.  Anybody else have those reservations?  I thought the 2100-series were sexy saws...these 2200's are growing on me!

I'm thinking an 18" bar will pair nicely with this saw.  I've seen some old stock Jonsered badged bars on Ebay.  Are those of decent quality?  Might they be Total?  Or what recommendations would you all have?

A small thing I was very impressed with: captive bar nuts!  Now that is slick!

@Spike60 is there a Jonsered decal "kit" or are they sold individually?

One last thing, the seller had a "make offer" provision on his listing.  We settled on $350.  Shipping was free, but tax brought the total up to about $375 so I'm very happy with that.

Real1shepherd

I was running Stihl Ultra @50:1 in all my old saws. I never had any trouble, but last yr decided to run everything 40:1. Peace of mind and unobtainium saw parts drove my decision. As far as new saws, if they say 50:1, you're probably good....but 40:1 isn't going to foul anything or cause coke/carbon issues.

The difference between 2.6oz per gal and 3.2oz per gal isn't going to break anyone's bank.

Kevin

Woodfarmer

That's a beauti of a saw, where can I get one?

Spike60

Decal numbers....

Starter: 579 546 601

Clutch cover: 578 037 501

Shows still available, but backordered for a month. Any Husky dealer who does online sales, (not me  :)) can order them. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Tacotodd

Quote from: Woodfarmer on November 02, 2021, 07:13:26 AM
That's a beauti of a saw, where can I get one?
Just look online for your nearest Redmax dealer, but buy it locally from a dealer because "stuff" happens and he'll make it right.
Trying harder everyday.

Spike60

Problem there Todd is that most Red Max dealers won't have it and cam't get it. And wouldn't sell it that cheap if they had one. The Red Max saw experiment is officially over; these few saws left are just dumping remaining product. The RM website may show them as still available, but this is what's happening.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Tacotodd

Quote from: Spike60 on November 03, 2021, 06:46:17 AM
Problem there Todd is that most Red Max dealers won't have it and cam't get it. And wouldn't sell it that cheap if they had one. The Red Max saw experiment is officially over; these few saws left are just dumping remaining product. The RM website may show them as still available, but this is what's happening.
Gotcha. Well poop!
Trying harder everyday.

SnoJetter

Yeah, what Spike said.  The Redmax dealer relatively close by is advertising the GZ550, and I think that's the only model he has.  That's why it was easy to push me into a purchase because I wanted a chance to own a brand new red saw before they were all gone.

Technically, my new saw is no longer new.  I spoiled it by filling 'er up with gas and oil.  A few pulls and she fired right off.  Now the clutch side has oil running down the side :'(  But these things are made to get dirty, right?

I still haven't settled on a bar/chain yet.  All my small saws are .058/.325 and I think it would be nice to keep that streak going.  I'm finding the old stock Jonny bars are mostly 3/8 and .050's.  It looks like an Oregon VersaCut is readily available, so that may be what I settle on unless you guys want to steer me elsewhere.  I cut a lot of wood, but I spread it out over a dozen or so saws so nothing I own gets a ton of time on it very quickly.  I don't need the best bar, but don't want garbage either.

@Woodfarmer, to find this saw you'll have to do an ebay search for it.  There's a seller who has them listed for $379, and as of last night there were three left.  I sent him an offer of $300 or $325, something like that and he came back with a counteroffer of $350 which is the price I paid.  The listing includes free shipping, but I'm not sure if that's just to the states or includes Canada as well.

I say there are three left last I looked, but there were 4 left yesterday...until I bought a second one.  No, not for me.  I thought this would make a great gift for my father-in-law whose last new saw purchase was a 2054 in the 90's.  I gave him a 2150 just so he'd have a spare.  I figure this little "2252" would be a nice upgrade for him.  And crazy as I may be, I'd even consider buying a third one to gift to my dad if I can convince him he "needs" it.  He recently unloaded his second (limbing) saw in favor of a second "smaller" bar for his primary saw.  Instead of two saws with different bar lengths for different jobs, he decided he'd just swap bars depending on what he was cutting.  

And finally, thank you, Bob, for those decal p/n's.  If I'm going to put them on, I'd better do it while everything is still clean!

Thank You Sponsors!