iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Biscuits and Gravy

Started by Brad_bb, April 22, 2022, 02:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kantuckid

Lard= cardiologist visits. Does it cook great yes, but not for my arteries. 

Grease= cardiologist 
My sausage gravy tastes great and I often use Jimmy Dean pre-cooked, then microwave it, then squeeze out the killer grease and brown a bit further before tossing in the flour thickener. maybe, maybe not my stents will last a few more years. 

A recent throat scan showed my throat stuff was OK but also that yes, I really do have heart disease ( and severe deterioration of my cervical vertebrae) per my neck arteries. Eat healthy out there...  ;D

For some reason regular buttermilk is often out of stock in grocery stores during the covid crazyness? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Magicman

Use Google.  There are many recipes for making Buttermilk equivalent. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kantuckid

The taste is sort of similar from those, at home (lemon or vinegar to sour the fresh milk) recipes, but the viscosity & best flavor comes from a cultured milk.
When younger, I worked in a supermarket, milk cartons were changing to paper from glass and I loved to drink buttermilk from leakers (we held back for credit) in the storage cooler.

I'll add: when I worked in meat packing, we bought our summer sausage cultures from a company that also sold cultures to dairy processors for buttermilk, etc..
My wife (in the kitchen she's a walking/talking google ;D) dislikes cooking with non-fat buttermilk as it lacks the taste of the real thing. Seems like they have it in stock when the good stuffs gone.
Probably better for my arteries huh?  :D

doc henderson

all things in moderation. ;)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

gspren

I had sausage gravy on toast this morning, sausage was venison from one of the deer I got last year and was lean but whatever wifey did/does to make it I ain't complaining. Sometimes she makes biscuits too but I'm ok with the Italian bread toast.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

WV Sawmiller

We very seldom keep buttermilk at home so my wife uses the 2% milk we have on hand and while not as pretty as Miz Pats they are quite tasty. She does prefer butter flavored Crisco shortening.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Brad_bb

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

aigheadish

Funny they find it healthy! True they find it a meal for the whole day. Good stuff!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

kantuckid

To explain the video above (sort of):
In Ireland we went into an Irish version of McDonalds and I saw Curry Fries on the menu board. I tried them and really like them! They are french fries smothered in Curry Gravy. Later during the trip I asked a man in a grocery store how people make them at home in Ireland. He had me follow him to the Knorr's dry soup and sauces display where it was sold as an envelope in a box item. Mix the powder with boiling water and ya got curry gravy. BTW, I'm out of it. :(

JD Guy

Oh, my stomach is growling 😁. We are very fortunate here in our little community that there are two people making whole hog sausage. FYI it's when all cuts are used in the process not just the "trimmings". Best I've ever eaten, and makes super good gravy too. Love sausage and biscuits. As Doc said "everything in moderation".

aigheadish

What a great first post JD!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

GAB

Quote from: doc henderson on April 29, 2022, 10:06:06 AM
all things in moderation. ;)
I'm very much in agreement with DOC especially when you are talking - heart attack on a plate.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Raider Bill

I eat cottage cheese with grapes and a peice of fruit for breakfast 5 days a week.
Weekends are for man food, eggs, meat, gravy, hash, pancakes, man food.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

kantuckid

Fiber is where I'm at in life, lots of fiber. Not the kind found in meat. My wife makes granola, great eaten with Greek yogurt (Chobani in black carton!) and helps my senior digestive system to work best. Lacking a gall bladder pooter has never worked the same as once was. ;D

As a guy who worked in meatpacking: pork trimmings can be actually higher quality sausage than "whole hog sausage". 

Said another way- a hog has lots of parts in it's "whole". 

Said yet another way- I like the old Purnell's whole hog sausage ads for their whole hog sausage, but not their fatty sausage! 

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

kantuckid

Just checked my memory- 
the genuine expert biscuit maker in the other room confirms she has a 4th ingredient. A small, thin slice of butter goes on each one, top and center.
 Her Momma did them that way and on back even more generations. 

Thank You Sponsors!