iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 056 AV Flywheel

Started by LogDog55, November 01, 2022, 04:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LogDog55

I've got an 056 AV in the shop right now with no spark. We located a new coil, and I have the saw broke down on the bench.

And now the flywheel Is kicking my butt. It has no provisions for a puller. I've been using the knock-off method (the Stihl approved way) to no avail. 

Any suggestions? I really don't want to break the flywheel. I've pulled a lot of flywheels and never had this much trouble. 

Guydreads

Never had the hammer method fail me yet... Sometimes it takes a few really hard hits. Also, make sure to not hold the saw in the air when hammering on it, basically cancels the effect you're looking for. I haven't used any other methods for flywheel removal yet, since this has worked every time. Hopefully someone else chimes in, I'm posting this just to make sure you're doing it right :)

Old Greenhorn

I use the knock off method but I don't use a hammer or punch. Since I rarely have a hammer or punch in the field anyway and I don't like beating on cast parts, I use felling wedges. I take the corner of the head on one (any size) and get it nestled into slot/hole on the clutch, then I take another (large) wedge and hold it by the narrow end and use the head as 'the hammer'. Make sure, as Guy said, that the saw is on a firm surface AND make sure you are hitting in the proper direction as these are left handed. There should be an arrow cast into the clutch.
It takes a few tries and slips, but it has always worked and the plastic wedges do no damage. It's all about the shock load.
Best of luck.
EDIT: WHOOOPS! My apologies!  Just realized it's the flywheel giving you problems, not the clutch. Please disregard my post. Guess I did something dumb today, I opened my mouth. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

LogDog55

Thanks guys for the responses. 

I will bang on it harder I guess. I too have never had the knock-of method fail me, but this is an old saw that has been sitting for a long time.

Wish me luck!

LogDog55

Success! I had to bang on it way harder than I wanted to, but it worked.

Now I realize I have the wrong coil... great.

But I'll start that in another thread. Thanks again everybody. 

Guydreads

Great to hear! Unfortunate on the coil, happens quite a bit on those older saws. Good luck!

Thank You Sponsors!