iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what kind of wood is this?

Started by Dan_Shade, March 07, 2005, 10:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

the guy said it was cherry, but the bark looks a bit funky too me, but I'm certainly no expert...

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

That aint Cherry. :D 

At least not like any I have seen, but maybe its just the photo. I would guess from the bark it was aspen again, although the appearance of the inner bark almost givse the impression of red oak. But looking at the end, at the wood, it almost looks like slightly spalted soft maple.

I'm thinkin its some sorta rare Hybrid. ;D

Dan, if you filled out your profile and added your location that would also help, as region effects our I.D. guesses.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dan_Shade

I thought I did have it in there  :D

I'm in Maryland, near the Chesapeake Bay

I didn't think it was cherry, I took a few more pictures of the log, but they aren't much better than the one there, but I did get a close up of the bark on top.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Kirk_Allen

Just looking at the bark I would guess Red Oak , but the end of the log looks to light colored to be red oak.   Havent ever cut any aspen so I have no clue what that stuff looks like without getting my Arky book out. 

Curlywoods

I agree that ain't North American Cherry anyway  :D  From the end it looks like Maple to me, but the bark does not quite look like Maple.  Split er' open and give us a good look  ;D
All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

Back40x2

I would say Red Oak.  Maple does not have to defining presence of sapwood like the picture shows.
My JD 4120 Loader/Hoe/fransgard winch, a 10,000 pound Warn winch, STIHL 460,  Timberking 1600,  Lots of logs, a shotgun, rifle, my German Shorthaired Pointers and a 4-wheel drive, is all this Maine boy needs to survive!! Oh Yeah, and my WIFE!!!!!!

Dan_Shade

here's what she looked like when I split her open.  I think a species of Red Oak is the concensus

Thanks guys.

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=232&pos=3

SwampDonkey

I could go along with that, red oak.

The heart is too light for maple unless its red maple with heart rot. The sapwood looks like curly under the bark, like most soft maple in my area on the butt end. The bark don't look right for red maple though, not scaley enough.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

No question in my mind now that I saw the inside, we could, however, continue the debate on sub specie  ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Shade

are you serious, swamp donkey?  I could send you a small piece.

if you're lookin' for free wood, cut yer own  :D

SwampDonkey

I think if we got it to the red oak family, that's close enough. :D But, if you want the species you have to pretty much get the microscope out to see the minute features. ;D

Take white ash lumber for instance, you can't tell oregon, red or american white apart  by the naked eye. ;)

Dan_Shade

gotcha, I have a book that shows all that microscope stuff, but it doesn't show naked eye stuff.... I really got my money's worth from that one :)

dansaylor

It looks like chestnut oak to me but i am prob wrong.

Phorester

Wood is best identified by the end grain.  If you can get as clear a shot of the end of the log as picture #4, maybe even sand part of it smooth so the rings show up real clear, it will help.

populus

If it's chestnut oak (and the bark looks right), the saw will tell you - chestnut oak is harder than any other oak (in our area) except chinkapin oak. We have to resharpen twice as often with chestnut or chinkapin oak compared with other oaks.  So, let us know what the saw tells you!

In the old days, chestnut and chinkapin oak were sold as "yellow oak" but today it seems to be lumped with other white oaks.  The bark of chestnut oak was at one time more valuable than the wood, and was used for tanning leather.

Furby

Based on this thread:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=11010.0
I'd say it was even harder to saw then Chinkapin Oak.  ;D ;D

DanG

Look's like Water Oak to me, inside and out.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fraxinus

You DanG rebels got more kinds of oak than Carter has little liver pills :D :D  Here were I growed up, the onliest kind of oak we have is Red.  Go a little south and there's White.  First 18 years of my life, I thought that's all there was :o :o
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!