iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hydraulic valve controls

Started by fathead, September 16, 2012, 01:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fathead

Forum advice needed, I am trying to decide if it would be a good or bad  idea to put a detent on the valve that controls the forward movement of the saw head. I do have a flow control I plan on adding before the drive motor. As of now I am a builder not a sawyer your experience will be helpful thanks.Fathead.

beenthere

When you say "not a sawyer", does that mean you have not done it before?

Are you talking about a particular mill?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fathead

I have only help on a manual mill a couple dozen times. I have been building this hydraulic mill for about three years now.It has gone slow and steady. I would estimate that I am about 80% complete.

hackberry jake

I would think it would be six of one and half dozen of the other, boils down to personal preference. Make sure your flow control is unidirectional so you can bring the carriage back faster than you feed it.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

ladylake

A detent should work good, have it or the bypass valve set fairly low so it kicks off easy when you hit something.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Chuck White

With a detent in place, you can provide a very steady forward speed.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

grweldon

My TK 1400 does not have a detent valve for the carriage forward/reverse.  I find it quite inconvenient.  I keep the lever held in the feed position with a bungee.  Certainly not the preferred situation.  I would add a dentent valve.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

bandmiller2

I'd go with the detent valve,mayby weaken the spring holding the detent ball in so it will trip easier.You want the whole band assembly carriage to stop if it hits something.The flow control I used is controlled feed, full speed gigback.I put a manual valve to adjust the return speed.I didn't have a detent valve so I made a horizontal  lever to control the spool valve on the feed and gigback a magnet holds the valve open.At the end of travel theirs a catch to return the valve to neutral.I walk beside my mill as I'am cutting. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!