iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1955 jeep cj5 military jeep.

Started by Woodhauler, April 22, 2013, 07:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Local town has one up for bid. Its a nice old jeep. Could be made military again or run likre it is. Its in very nice shape. Fire department owned. Any idea of its worth? Its still 24 volt. Body is straight and sound.Needs nothing to put on the road.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Autocar

Here in Ohio any type of goverment sales are all on bid, I wouldn't get crazy on the price. We were coon hunting years ago and the dogs ran a coon into this old building and we went in to get the dogs and there was a army jeep inside. My buddy went back a few days later and bought it for $250.00 we pulled it out of the shed put new gas in it and pulled it down the road and it started only problem was 25 mile per hour was about tops it shock so bad. I remember he used it around the farm for years. 
Bill

Dave Shepard

They had one at the ski area where I used to work in the winter. You either need to be on the short side of average or a pretzel to get in it. ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawguy21

My bil picked up a real beater for 250 bucks and figured he got a real bargain. Sorta runs and has no brakes. Not as plentiful here so some guys get stupid on price. What Dave said, that thing is very short on legroom.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Howdy

There are a number of forums for Willys and Jeeps to get an idea of the value and culture of old trucks.

For general Willys info:

Willystech    http://mvpimages.net/willys/show.htm

Old Willys Forum   http://www.oldwillysforum.com/

And for infomation about Military Jeeps a Google search will
turn up many other sites.

The ones I like are:

CJ2 info   http://www.thecj2apage.com/
(This one has great links to others as well.)

Willys Military Jeeps   http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/

Good luck with your quest for enlightenment.

Al_Smith

I don't know if it would help or not but if you go to govdeals .com it might list what they are bringing .

As I've said before my deceased father spent hours and hours restoring old Jeeps ,most were CJ-2s' .They are not  speed demons  and an extremely well tuned one might hit 60 MPH but most felt more comfortable at around 45 MPH . Not much for speed but if the engine ran well and if they could find traction they can almost climb a tree .

Al_Smith

On that shaking bad most times it's the front bearings .You have to remember these things are old and most of them were rode hard and put away wet .

r.man

I looked at a slightly more modern Jeep about 30 years ago that had a V8 in it. Didn't lack for power. Rough and tumble ones around here go for about 500. Restored are 3000 to the sky.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Al_Smith

A Buick V6 was a popular engine conversion .

Now a little thought on that .On the CJ-2's they had a 65 HP 4 cylinder flat head engine .You needed to shift gears on them .

When some folks put small Buicks and small block Fords in them they had about two to three times the power .As a result if they romped and stomped them in the higher gear ranges the drive lines suffered .

Hilltop366

I remember seeing an old Jeep in Camden in 07, if I recall it was a fire department vehicle. I wonder if it is the same one?

r.man

Fire departments very often have older stuff. Our department still has a right hand six wheel drive high clearance truck from the 40s and ran a 70s emergency van until the 2000s.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

sawguy21

A friend had a CJ-5 with a mildly souped Ford 302  and cherry bombs, that thing was frightening in the wrong hands. :D We would gas up, go into town for a couple of hours then gas up to get home. Eight gallons didn't go far.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

red

the cummins 4bt is the hotsetup for torque today
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Woodhauler

If i bid on it and get it, i am most likely going bto leave it stock. As a military jeep it has nice value to a collector. Only needs a few things taken off it and a paint job to make it military again! All the add ons are availible on line. Just got to figure out how to get this in the drive way with out thewife divorcing me! I may not get it onthe bid i put in !
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Thank You Sponsors!