iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Input on Jeep J10 pickup

Started by Furby, September 03, 2004, 12:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

Anybody know much about the 1980 Jeep J10 Shortbox Pickup ???
Just trying to decide if I really want to pay my Uncles price to keep Grandpa's truck in the family.

jgoodhart

Don't know about the pickups but I got a 82 CJ7 that needs just about everything fixed or rebuilt. Engine was rebuilt by previus owner but he lost interest when he started digging into the rusted areas and it was worse than it looked.

sawwood

Furby does it have the 6cyl or the V8 ? there are a few
thing about that year that i don't think you can git parts for
any more. I have worked on servial of them and the most
i remember was they rusted out bad. They where a real
work horse when new . I for one wouldn't fix it up.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

rebocardo

If it is a V-8 (304?) and has the Dana 44 axles, front and rear, it might be worth fixing up if the rust is not too bad. Just be ready to take Automotive Electric 101.

Furby

The truck runs good. It has 64k on the original engine and tranny. It does have a fair amout of rust on it. It's a 6 cyl., and it has done a lot of work!
I used it a few years back to pick up some logs down a deep wet ditch, didn't even use the 4x4 to get out!
The leaf springs are busted in back. My Uncle tried to take them off, but said they need to be cut and new shackles and what not replaced, "if" the frame will hold up to the job.
The truck is across the state, so I can't just go take a look at it.
I've looked all over this area for the past couple of years and haven't found another one like it. I did some digging on the net, and they do fetch a fair price.
Not really sure if I'd ever really "restore" it, maybe just fix it enough to use.

Just want some kind of idea on how hard some parts may be to find and need to decide if I want to work on it.
I have a 1981 Cherokee Laredo sitting out back, thought I might be able to use some parts off it ???

rebocardo

>  have a 1981 Cherokee Laredo sitting out back, thought I
>  might be able to use some parts off it

I doubt it, isn't 81 when they went to the new style and 2.8L engine?

The 258 engine and its drivetrain you can easily find parts. The tough thing will be the body, otherwise CJ-7 things will  generally work.

I do not have the URL handy, there is a good 4x4 forum that caters to the Jeep and has a J-10 section. Maybe www.pirate4x4.com would be a good place to start.

Furby

ScottAR

Just keep in mind pirate is not really the same place as here...  I prefer to lurk only as some eliteist types come down hard on newbies...  I dunno why as it accomplishes nothing but that's just my opinion.  
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Furby

Thanks for the "heads up" Scott!  ;)
Looked the site over, but I didn't  see anything that would help me. The site kinda rubbed me the wrong way, so I won't bother to sign up to ask ?'s.  :-/

ScottAR

I just bounced Jeep J10 off yahoo and got a few hits and a bunch of junk...

Just tried Jeep fullsize and got better results...  

I'm not much help as I'm a ford type, but my grandpa had a J20 years ago.  360 4bbl I think, full time 4x.  Got horrid mileage but it was fun.  Bright yellow with woodgrain.   :D

Dad borrowed it one winter to go to meeting for work in little rock (3ish hours) durring a bad snowstorm.   Spent $40 in early eighties gas money on the way down.   Never borrowed it for a long trip again... :D
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

rebocardo

Try

www.rockcrawler.com - see the full size Cherokee board. Not much action, but, it is there.

A J-10 article you might like to read:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/fsj/taylorj-10buildup.htm

Furby

Thanks for that link rebo! The description given is kinda why I like this truck so much.

rebocardo

Thank You Sponsors!