iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logosol M7 millers, need help with this problem

Started by alsayyed, September 15, 2006, 08:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

Yesterday I have tried to mill some wood but could not make it due to this problem. I have made my first cut with difficulty, then when I have start to make this cut I could not make it due to this problem.
The machine is level, the chainsaw bar is new by Oregon, the chain is sharp, then why it is coming the cut not in straight line which is I call it out 0 degree, maybe people will say the chain saw is not parallel with the log. I see it is parallel, so I wrote to Logosol regarding this problem and still waiting for answer from these people I know they very slow in response.

ducknutt

did the log move after the frist slab was taken off?
If God is your co-pilot, You're sitting in the wrong seat

alsayyed

maybe yes or mayb no i did not pay attention since it is very heavy log, so never thought this will move out of the bench.

beenthere

alsayyed

Good pictures. You can bet that something moved. Either the saw carrier moved, or the log moved. 

Using a bubble level to start with a level saw bar, then measure the cut surface after resetting for the next cut will help keep the first cut parallel with the second cut. Good luck, and hope the chains stay sharp.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tony_T

I've got a M5 logosol.  If it's the second cut and you did not flip the log I'd say the log moved.  Make sure you have the log well secured using the stops supplied with the mill.  I usually use a piece of scrap wood to give them a couple of wacks to make sure they are well bitten into the wood and not just stopped against bark. 

You may also see cuts like this after just flipping a log/cant.  If so, it means your log beds are not parallel to your blade.

Captain

Sure looks like it moved.  I noticed that you're not on the support, but a couple of boards to act as a bridge between the supports, they easily move that way...

Captain started with a Logosol too  ;)

Captain

Tony_T

Alsayyed, next time you might want to try taking off the first slab then flipping the log over.  It's much more stable resting on the flat sawn surface, take of another slab then continue on with boards...........

Raphael

Yup, looks like the log or your supporting plank moved.
I agree, flip after the first cut and mill off the stable surface.
A short section of ladder makes a good support for those shorter logs.  Since it's all tied together there is no concern that the log may slip between a pair of planks.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

alsayyed

thank you fellows tomorrow i am going to lift this log, and place a ladder underneath the log and i will try to fastern this log with heavy clamps.
Tomorrow I will try to slice this log, very hard wood,

Fla._Deadheader

There should be no need to clamp a log that size. When it sits on the flat side, if it moves a little, push a tapered piece of wood under the area that moves, to make the log stop moving. That is how we steady a log with the Swing Blade Mills.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tony_T

Quote from: Raphael on September 16, 2006, 02:08:22 AM
Yup, looks like the log or your supporting plank moved.
I agree, flip after the first cut and mill off the stable surface.
A short section of ladder makes a good support for those shorter logs.  Since it's all tied together there is no concern that the log may slip between a pair of planks.

Raphael, I've not tried using a section of ladder for a support for shorter logs, but seems like a good idea.

What I use is a large cant 6' X 4" X 20" that I cut from a log that had lots of rot in one end, too short for most uses but plenty big enough to use as a support and quite a stable surface.  I made sure it was very square so it will not effect the lumber sawn atop it.

Greenskeeper

You can try the ladder thing if you like,but in my experance with Logosol Mills it was almost always the chain that was the problem. get out your file and go to it. Good luck.

Tom

Greenskeeper,
I'm not a chainmill sawyer, but it looks to me that both kerfs are straight just out of plane.  It sure looks like something moved to me. 

I've had chains cut a curve when they were rocked or miss-sharpened.  They tend to work there way into a mess and make it worse the farther you go.  Wouldn't a badly sharpened chain dive up or down rather than get on another plane?

Thank You Sponsors!