iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric wood splitter, need new motor

Started by mudnut, October 18, 2016, 03:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudnut

First off, my apologies if this isn't the right section of the board and mods please move if you need to.

In a situation and at the wrong time of year. I have a Harbor Freight 7 ton log splitter (not sure who actually manufactured it but this is NOT typical cheap HF stuff), several years old, previous model and they no longer sell this one.

Had a pipe break in the garage last winter and the motor of this thing filed up with water. Had no idea this happened until last week when she wouldn't run. The motor is toast, the windings were a lot higher in the case than I thought and, well long story, but the pump section is fine, the problem is that the pump housing is the back of the existing motor so just replacing it with another motor off of the shelf won't work. Trying in vain to find a replacement for this thing and having zero luck.

2 hp 110vac aluminum body (finned) motor, looks a lot like the ones all other electric splitters but even calling those companies for a replacement gets me nowhere as those motors are made in China, seem to be pretty specific to the electric splitter industry and aren't available individually without a "wheelbarrow full of money".

Anybody have a line on these motors, new or used? Would rather not pay $250 for a 5 ton replacement splitter, this 7 ton worked like a CHAMP for several years and would still be going strong had that pipe not burst. I can post pics once I get home and get one taken if that will help.

Thanks

mudnut
"Until the 20th century, reality was everything humans could touch, smell, see and hear. Since the initial publication of the charged electromagnetic spectrum, humans learned that what they can touch, smell, see, and hear...is less than one millionth of reality"

Ada Shaker

You may be better off looking for a replacement motor and a replacement pump. Keep them separate and keep them simple. That way you just replace/service whichever goes bung in the future. Just my two bobs worth.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

mudnut

That option had actually crossed my mind too. The new models of this type of splitter has a solid aluminum section that supplies the fluid from the pump to the ram. My model is old enough to have actual copper tubing with fittings that connect to the plate that has the fluid ports for the ram. There should be plenty of room under this thing to allow a longer mounting plate for a separate motor and pump. I could even go with a little bit larger motor (the current 7 ton units run a 3.5 hp, mine is 2). Might hit the local hardware store to see what I can find in the way of pumps locally.

Thanks for the reply.
"Until the 20th century, reality was everything humans could touch, smell, see and hear. Since the initial publication of the charged electromagnetic spectrum, humans learned that what they can touch, smell, see, and hear...is less than one millionth of reality"

pineywoods

Mudnut, you need to check out www.surpluscenter.com. They have pumps, motors, hoses, adapters etc. Good prices too. I would consider replacing the hard lines with hoses..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

John Mc

Didn't know you could run a 3.5 hp motor on a standard 110V outlet.

On the other hand, I just sold my old RamSplitter electric splitter. Their electric splitters are identical to their gas splitter, with the exception of the gas motor swapped out for electric. I had a 16 ton which had a 2HP electric motor (their current 16T models ship with a 1.5HP electric). For the same splitter in gas, it comes with a 6HP Subaru engine.

It does make me wonder what the difference is with your electric using 2HP for 7 tons
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

3 1/2 HP on 120 would be pushing it.

Now that 2 hp electric as opposed to 6 gasoline might be correct .They aren't figured the same  .More often that not cheap electric motors  are figured too heavy and perhaps the same with gasoline engines for all I know . Just so you know 1 HP electric HP is 746 watts no matter if it's  in the US ,England ,China or Outer Mongolia .

Al_Smith

Now electric splitters .Don't laugh some can do pretty good .They always start unless some like getting submarined by water as be the example.

I had one,tiny little thing that was on a 4" beam with a knife edge,not a wedge.Had go kart tires on the back,sat nearly on the ground .Came with a 5HP Briggs that was missing which I replaced with a cheap Asian motor that  had a rating of 5 HP but in reality was 2.8 HP . I think it was like 3 or 3.25 inch  cylinder and only had a 1 quart oil tank which just took the over flow from the cylinder ends .Could split 18" .Would you believe I rolled 36" oak rounds on that thing and unless they were full of knots it went right through them .Ran it on 240 volt from a 250 foot roll of romax .When I built my big splitter which is heavy duty I gave it to my wifes cousin who has used it for maybe 10 years without as much as a problem except replacing the start capacitor .

mudnut

Quote from: John Mc on October 19, 2016, 12:58:50 PM
Didn't know you could run a 3.5 hp motor on a standard 110V outlet.

I don't think I'll try that big of a motor, even if I could get one that would wire for 110 I can't see it being under 25 amps at that size, couldn't find a dual voltage motor at that size anyway. A 2HP would work fine, need one for my compressor anyway so may order another for the splitter. Surplus Center has a compressor motor that says it's rated for constant duty, I've got a question in to them to make sure that rating is correct.

On the other hand, I just sold my old RamSplitter electric splitter. Their electric splitters are identical to their gas splitter, with the exception of the gas motor swapped out for electric. I had a 16 ton which had a 2HP electric motor (their current 16T models ship with a 1.5HP electric). For the same splitter in gas, it comes with a 6HP Subaru engine.

It does make me wonder what the difference is with your electric using 2HP for 7 tons
Quote from: pineywoods on October 19, 2016, 11:08:54 AM

Yeah, this thing "says" it's a 7 ton splitter, thinking it is more like a 5 ton, especially with a 2 hp motor. I place very little faith in the marketing labels today, Foot Long sub and all that.

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 19, 2016, 07:20:32 PM
Now electric splitters .Don't laugh some can do pretty good .They always start unless some like getting submarined by water as be the example.

I had one,tiny little thing that was on a 4" beam with a knife edge,not a wedge.Had go kart tires on the back,sat nearly on the ground .Came with a 5HP Briggs that was missing which I replaced with a cheap Asian motor that  had a rating of 5 HP but in reality was 2.8 HP . I think it was like 3 or 3.25 inch  cylinder and only had a 1 quart oil tank which just took the over flow from the cylinder ends .Could split 18" .Would you believe I rolled 36" oak rounds on that thing and unless they were full of knots it went right through them .Ran it on 240 volt from a 250 foot roll of romax .When I built my big splitter which is heavy duty I gave it to my wifes cousin who has used it for maybe 10 years without as much as a problem except replacing the start capacitor .

I've had, and used, this thing for a couple of seasons, if HF still sold them I would have picked up another to replace this one. I split logs that I never though this thing would go through with no issues. As it is I ordered a 6 ton splitter yesterday, it's too late in the season for me to rebuild mine with a separate pump and motor, won't be hard but my shop is not usable now and by the time it is we'll be well into the Spring rains LOL.

Mudnut, you need to check out www.surpluscenter.com. They have pumps, motors, hoses, adapters etc. Good prices too. I would consider replacing the hard lines with hoses..

WAY ahead of you mate... found Surplus Center a few weeks ago, my eyes are bigger than my bank account or I'd be on first name basis with the ordering folks.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!