iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hot Springs in route to Idaho!

Started by Jayson, October 29, 2006, 10:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayson

My partner and I will travelling to Idaho(Sandpoint) in the next couple of days.We will be attempting to help a fellow get a roof on his timber frame before it fills with snow.I'm looking for hot springs in route,that are not a long way from the highway(I-90)and have safe camping nearby.If anyone knows of more remote springs mention them for we may have a opportunity to check some out on our way back also.Thanks in advance Jayson

sawguy21

Northern Idaho is a beautiful area. You must be good buds to travel that far to help put a roof on. 8) I don't know about hot springs in that area but you will not be far from Fairmont here in BC. Yellowstone is on your route and I believe there are some around Idaho Falls. Have a safe trip.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jayson

Hey thanks.We will not know if we are good buds till we meet the client.He has a few more timbers to cut and erect before we can install his panels.We just hope to find time to check out the area.All too often it is all work.Does anyone know if we have to have our passports to cross the border? Thanks again,Jayson ;D

sawguy21

Picture ID is all that is required at the moment.

Minnesota_boy

Getting into Canada is easy for a resident of the U.S.  Picture ID seems to be fine if you aren't a convicted felon or on a wanted list.  Getting back into the U.S. might be harder to do.  If you don't have a passport, make sure to carry a certified copy of your birth certificate.  It can be required.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Don P

I remember going through Thermopolis in WY, not sure exactly where or your route. I do remember a certain pucker factor on those roads depending on what you're driving  :).

Minnesota_boy

You can use Google to search for the hot springs by putting the name of each state of interest and then the words hot springs. For example, I chose Montana as I know that it has hot springs.  The google search returned only 4.9 million records.  I only looked at one of the top 10 to get an idea of where I might want to stop.  :D 8)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Jayson

well thanks for all the post.Thermopolis was cool.The scenery was great,the hot springs were refreshing.The rest of the project was rather bizarre.And unfortunately there is a beautiful timber frame still in need of completion.It's pretty diffficult grasping the fact that you can't always make a job come together.I do wish the guy the best of luck.

Ironwood

I have been to a REALLY cool natural water slide on the east side of Priest Lake in northern Idaho. There are tons of naturally occuring exfoliating granitic domes in that area that have had slides that expose literally hundreds of feet of water slides. I would NOT miss it if you can handle the cold water. I have wilderness travelled from Canada to Mexico and these were the BEST I have ever seen. If your interested I will try to find the exact location on a map. I have numerous photos of the slide somewhere.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Don P

Glad you got to swing by there Jayson, I remember enjoying the drive through there but being glad I was just in the pickup. I hear you on the job, been to a few that way. All a man can do is his best, try to give broad latitude, and hope it all works out. Ever see a wet dog shake, grin, and head back out? There ends my deep thinking for the day  :D.

beenthere

Quote from: Jayson on November 27, 2006, 09:22:33 AM
well thanks for all the post.Thermopolis was cool.The scenery was great,the hot springs were refreshing.The rest of the project was rather bizarre.And unfortunately there is a beautiful timber frame still in need of completion.It's pretty diffficult grasping the fact that you can't always make a job come together.I do wish the guy the best of luck.
Jayson
What happened? Did the roof not get put on?  Sounds like a pretty disappointing end to a potentially-good time. Any pics?  Something we can learn from? 
I hope this doesn't sound like I am prodding for info.  ;D  (but I am   ;D )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jayson

Don P,man did I need that deep thinking.I more often than not relate with my dog.I'm grinning and shaking.Thanks.
Well in a nut shell and I emphasize NUT.Initially told 2 week project with all drawings,joint design,dry shop,necessary wood handling equipment and 2 more men on project.(1st lesson, if there are tools you like, own and haul them no matter the distance)(2nd lesson, not every man's concept of work or plans are the same)Reality...Pictures not prints,joint design-no clue,2 weeks-no,6 to 8 weeks,timber cart- no.If you guys can't tell I really need this opportunity to vent.Continuing on.Dry shop,yes it was dry and it was the perfect size But over all I could not have asked for a better shop.So we spend 1st couple of days moving timbers over to shop.Did I mention it was a nice shop.We spend next couple of days drawing plans.This a great time to mention that the post have been cut already by another guy,the summer beams by yet another guy,and this is no joke,the tie beams by another guy.Did I mention at this point I'm working on prints and joint detail?Ohh...forgot to mention foundation is in with sills and floor decking screwed down.Stay with me it's just getting fun.Now at this point my partner and I are still committed.Not to the psych ward,to getting a roof over this family.Seriously..we both love this work that much.So we put bent 1 together,nice fit.Now we fit wall a,wait a second,this thing is an inch and eighth short.Back to the drawing board!!!..(Lesson 3 do not leave home without detailed contract and good faith money)Still committed...Ok must hang out till checks clear,may as well work right.Make arrangements to get partner home by Thanksgiving as discussed with homeowner prior to leaving east coast.Ok,we have the plane ticket it arrives at an airport 2 hours from partners home at 10:30 pm est on Thanksgiving day.(mmm..cold dressing.tasty)(hmmm..cold family..scary)Still committed.At this point it is purely our desire to overcome the absurd keeping us going..Long week,lots of progress and lots of hours.It took quite bit of time to discover that we must shorten the building an inch and an eighth in length,and in excess of an inch in width to utilize timbers that have already been cut short.WARNING the rest of this story is disturbing.If you are a trusting fun loving human you could be ruined.Read at your own risk.Homeowner offers one sided contract.I decline to sign.Leave shop to take buddy to airport.Head to laundrymat to pick up clothes.Pulled over by local city police.Oh wait we were not pulled over,we were surrounded by city and county law enforcement(SURROUNDED!!)The homeowners friend thought it wood be appropriate to call and claim that we had attempted to sell them marijuana.Frisked and searched and of coarse found bud free we were allowed to scudattle out of town.Partner made on plane.I drove from Spokane to Salt Lake on Thanksgiving .Fortunately locating a delightful truckstop bacon cheeseburger for Thanksgiving dinner.Wow mom's turkey really is overrated.HaHa.SHAKING AND GRINNING AND ALWAYS GOING BACK IN!!!!!
Whoa.I really did need that.The stats 6000 miles,@220 gallons of fuel,1 quart of oil,only 3 splinters, a hit to commitment,3 hot springs,0 pictures of moose,and fortunately 3 cases of Fat Tire beer to share with friends during Christmas.

Don P

Well I hope you confessed that the party in question had bought everything you had  ::).

Sorry the job went south, I could write a country song about sleazy homeowners, that definitely takes the cake. If you want to check my standard contract for useable clauses feel free to pm. The trouble is invariably outside of a standard clause, they can be slippery  ::).

Most people are good, the rotten ones sure can be memorable. I figure a dose of old fashioned karma is steaming their way  :D.

sawguy21

:o That is unbelievable. The drug incident is really over the top. On the bright side, you saw the country and had time with your buddy.

Stumpkin

WOW :o :o :o
I just found this thred, sounds like things went crazy just after I last spoke to you on the phone.
You should have stoped by on the way home, we would have fed you.
Say hey to Sal and Sioux.
Tom
"Do we know what we're doing and why?"
"No"
"Do we care?"
"We'll work it all out as we go along. Let our practice form our doctrine, thus assuring precise theoretical coherence."      Ed Abbey

Jayson

Hey Stumpkin,
                Crazy does not even scratch the surface. By far the most bizarre situation I have ever been in. Everyone else I met there were pretty awesome. Lots of smiling people . Did you pass through there on your way to Banaff?
        Man, I really wanted to stop but we (Colette and I) had several friends pass away. Three in a week. So I was pretty anxious to get home and be with her. I sure could have used a meal on that trip. 13 hours from Spokane to Salt Lake,slept a few hours there,9 or 10 hours from SLC to Denver,picked up support driver(my son Brandon)25 hours straight to Marietta.

SwampDonkey

Jayson, you was too honest a feller and they took advantage. As soon as I seen the situation being not what it was expected to be, I'd have presented a bill and headed back home. What commune were they living on? ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!