iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mill ident

Started by Richard Towns, November 17, 2020, 09:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Towns

Looking at a local bandmill to possibly purchase. So far have not been able to to identify manufacturer. It has a 3 inch wide band, 36 inch diameter bandwheels and 100hp john deere turbodiesel engine. 40 inch wide throat, so capable of some serious lumber. Other features..All hydraulic, board drag back, log loader, two toe boards, 2 plane clamp, hydraulic fwd/rev, hydraulic up/down, air bag tensioner, chain log turner, 2 axle undercarriage, 17 foot max log length.  
I see some things that sorta say Timber harvester, some hint cooks, possibly home built. Any help on what it is and possibly what it's worth will be greatly appreciated. Never owned a mill and i'm at a loss.
More pics available

Southside

I see Timber King, Baker, and Select Cut all blended together. I would suspect that is home made.  Looking at it again there is some Wood-Mizer in the log stops too.  

Have said for a while that if you could put the WM Super 70 setworks and single mast, onto a Baker Frame, with a Select Cut double cut system and keep the drag back you would have the ultimate, portable, band mill.  Just don't want to see the payment book for that baby! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

moodnacreek

Wasn't there one called sawmills and edgers?

pineywoods

Another strange "feature" The blade guides are a block of WOOD. The hydraulic lines between the head and frame are carried on an overhead pantograph, never seen that on a portable mill
That log loader looks exactly like a woodmizer.
The OP is a friend, he sent me a bunch of pics. If that mill is homemade, I'd sure like to meet the builder
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ron Wenrich

S&W made a sawmill similar to this one.  They used a wide blade and they were configured like this one.  But, they were painted green.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!