iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bugs

Started by Bill Gaiche, June 24, 2011, 09:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

I have a Deciduous Magnolia and several crape myrtle. I have found this bug and I have never had these before. There are usually two together and had eight on one tree at a time as of now. The magnolia they are sucking on the bloom and its turning brown without fully maturing. Runing the flower. The crape has them and they are eating on the leaves. Have you had these and what are they. Its not a jap beetle. I looked through my little bug book with no luck. bg

SPIKER

looks like a Japanese beetle to me but the pic is pretty poor on my PC.

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

T.J.

i agree with SPIKER...it looks like a Japanese Beetle to me.

Bill Gaiche

Thats what I thought at first. My daughter lives ouside of Nashville and she has had jap beetles real bad on her crapes and cherry trees. They have a different shape than the ones I have but are close. bg

Bill Gaiche

I have to say it looks like you are correct about the jap beetle. I looked it up on the net and this was a good photo of it. It has to be it. I didnt know we had them here in our area yet. Believed they were way east of us still. From what I had seen at my daughters place they sure can be destructive. bg

Bill Gaiche

How do you guys get rid of them? bg

Dan_Shade

my dog eats some, I squeeze some, I resort to Sevin for the rest  :(
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

fat olde elf

You can buy traps. I used to sell alot of them. Not conviced they are really effective.
They really hit my crepe myrtles.  I love to kill them.
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Norm

We have just started getting them here, I use sevin.

Larry

I've been through two invasions.  One in north Missouri and one here about 6 or 7 years ago.  They seemed really thick the first couple of years and than not too many after that.  The first couple of years I saw a lot of traps but I not think they were effective.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!