iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trip to the Yucatan Peninsula - Spring 2024

Started by plantita, December 26, 2023, 08:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plantita

Hey everyone,

I'm starting to plan a trip down to Mexico next spring. My wife and I are thinking about spending a week in the Yucatan peninsula. For anyone who's been, I'd love to get your recommendations on must-see spots. We're really interested in Mayan ruins and wildlife viewing. Any suggestions for smaller, less-touristy towns to check out would also be great.

Also, for those familiar with the area, how is the weather usually in late March/early April? Too hot/humid already?

Thanks in advance for any tips! Looking forward to getting some ideas from others who've explored this part of Mexico.

WV Sawmiller

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=91943.msg1415350#msg1415350

We were there for a wedding a few years ago and only had a couple days to visit the local area.

I am a big fan of hiring a good local guide who is familiar with the area and he may hire local site guides as needed. They are not a big expense but get you access to places you will never see or learn about otherwise and can keep you out of places you don't want to go. They can take you to local dining and recreational sites most people never see and often these places are very cheap. I don't look for an expensive resort as it is only a base camp for me as I want to go see the local areas. I want a clean, safe and comfortable place but do not look for the extra frills.

Chichen Itza is a must see. Hire a guide there at the gate to get more info about the site. There are several others in the area that are interesting if you have time.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

beenthere

plantita
What country are you in now?

Would help to answer if you filled in your profile with location, and if we knew more about you.  ;) 

It's okay to tell us more about yourself, and what brings you to the Forum.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

shaneyho

Hi Plantita, If you are looking for some must see places over there, Chichen Itza will definitely be up there on the list.  This is one of the most famous Mayan site in Mexico. Apart from this, You should Check out Tulum and Coba. They are full of Mayan ruins and hundreds of Pyramids. I have enjoy exploring the Sian kaan Biosphere reserve. Btw when are you planning to visit there, in March?

plantita

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 26, 2023, 09:02:24 PM

We were there for a wedding a few years ago and only had a couple days to visit the local area.

I am a big fan of hiring a good local guide who is familiar with the area and he may hire local site guides as needed. They are not a big expense but get you access to places you will never see or learn about otherwise and can keep you out of places you don't want to go. They can take you to local dining and recreational sites most people never see and often these places are very cheap. I don't look for an expensive resort as it is only a base camp for me as I want to go see the local areas. I want a clean, safe and comfortable place but do not look for the extra frills.

Chichen Itza is a must see. Hire a guide there at the gate to get more info about the site. There are several others in the area that are interesting if you have time.

Thanks so much for the tips on visiting the Yucatan Peninsula. Hiring a local guide is a great idea - I'll definitely look into doing that. Chichen Itza has been at the top of my list so I'm glad to hear you recommend it. I'll be sure to hire a guide there like you suggested too. I appreciate you sharing your experience from when you visited. This gives me a good starting point for planning our trip. I'll make sure to keep an eye out for smaller towns and sites off the main tourist track as well.

plantita

Quote from: beenthere on December 26, 2023, 09:38:38 PM
plantita
What country are you in now?

Would help to answer if you filled in your profile with location, and if we knew more about you.  ;) 

It's okay to tell us more about yourself, and what brings you to the Forum.

Sorry, I probably should have included that info initially. I live in northern California currently. My husband and I are both teachers and have some time off in the spring so we wanted to take a trip somewhere with good history and nature. The Yucatan Peninsula seemed like it would have both of those things. I've always been really interested in Mayan culture as well. Thanks for the tip about adding a profile - I'll be sure to fill that out too to give more context. Let me know if you have any other suggestions for places to check out down there!

plantita

Quote from: shaneyho on December 27, 2023, 02:46:10 AM
Hi Plantita, If you are looking for some must see places over there, Chichen Itza will definitely be up there on the list.  This is one of the most famous Mayan site in Mexico. Apart from this, You should Check out Tulum and Coba. They are full of Mayan ruins and hundreds of Pyramids. I have enjoy exploring the Sian kaan Biosphere reserve. Btw when are you planning to visit there, in March?

Thanks so much for the suggestions! Chichen Itza is definitely at the top of our list based on everything we've read. Tulum and Coba sound great too. The biosphere reserve could be really cool for seeing some wildlife. We're thinking late March/early April, hopefully the weather won't be too hot and humid already. Thanks again, this is really helping me start to plan an itinerary. Much appreciated!

shaneyho

Quote from: plantita on December 27, 2023, 05:24:15 AM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 26, 2023, 09:02:24 PM

Thanks so much for the tips on visiting the Yucatan Peninsula. Hiring a local guide is a great idea - I'll definitely look into doing that. Chichen Itza has been at the top of my list so I'm glad to hear you recommend it. I'll be sure to hire a guide there like you suggested too. I appreciate you sharing your experience from when you visited. This gives me a good starting point for planning our trip. I'll make sure to keep an eye out for smaller towns and sites off the main tourist track as well.

Till April, it's dry weather in Mexico. You won't be having any problem with the weather. If you are visiting there in April, be sure to check out National Hot Air Balloon Festival and Feria Nacional de San Marcos if possible. It will be worth your time. Btw, you can also check https://gowithguide.com/mexico/guides for local guide. Having a local guide will definitely learn local culture, history and their customs.

Thank You Sponsors!