iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cinnamon Raisin Grits Bread French Toast

Started by Roxie, December 02, 2007, 08:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxie

I couldn't believe my eyes!   :o  There it was in the December 2007 issue of Cowboys & Indians Magazine...for Christmas morning breakfast and "Keeping it Classic".. Hotel Jerome's Cinnamon-Raisin Grits Bread French Toast with Real Maple Syrup.

To make the grits:

1 quart unseasoned chicken stock
1 cup milk
1 bay leaf
1/2 tbsp kosher salt
1/2 pound stone ground organic white grits
2 oz. butter

Combine the chicken stock, milk, bay leaf, and salt in a sauce pot, then bring to a slow boil.  Add the grits slowly while stirring.  Lower to a simmer to cook the grits, stirring frequently.  The cook time can vay depending on the grits, but it is usually around 30-40 minutes or until the grits are tender to the bite.  If grits become too thick, simply add more milk while cooking.  When the grits are done, remove from the heat, remove bay leaf, stir in the butter, and cool.  Set aside.

Now, to make the Cinnamon-Raisin Grits Bread (makes 2 loaves):

1/2 oz. dry yeast
2 1/2 cups warm water (100 degrees F)
1/4 cup honey
4 teaspoons salt
10 cups flour
1/2 cup soft butter
2 cups prepared grits (from above recipe)
4 teaspoons cinnamon
4 cups golden raisins

Combine the honey, water and yeast, and let rest for about 5 minutes, or until foamy and pungent in odor.  Mix the flour and salt together, and add to the yeast water until well blended.  (You can do this two ways.  If you're using a Kitchen Aid mixer, mix for 1 minute on low speed, using the dough hook.  If you are doing this by hand, mix the flour into the yeast water with a wooden spoon, and once the four is incorporated, place the wet dough on a flour dusted work surface and knead the dough by pusing it down and away from you with the heel of your hand, then folding it over and reapeating.  The dough will be very sticky, so keep flour on your hands as you work the dough.  Done by hand, this will take about 15 minutes).
After the flour has been incorporated, add the soft butter and mix for about 1 minute.
Add the cooked grits and mix until combined (using Kitchen Aid mediaum-high gear for about 8 minutes.  Doing it by hand, keep kneading until dough stretches like chewing gum without breaking).
Add the raisins and cinnamon and mix for about 1 minute.
Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a moist towel and let rest in a warm place until doubled in size (about 40 minutes). 
Punch the dough down, then shape your loaves by cutting the dough into two equal parts, rolling it into tight balls, and placing in loaf pans.  Let the loaves rest, covered until the dough has increased in size 1 1/2 times.
Bake in 375 degree oven for about 40 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when you tap on it. 
Let the bread cool completely before removing from the loaf pan.

Now to make the French Toast Custard:

8 farm fresh eggs
1 quart of milk
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk. 
Slice the bread about 1 inch thick and soak it in the custard for about two minutes. 
In a griddle or non-stick pan cook the French Toast until golden brown on both sides.
Serve with the best Maple Syrup you can find.

C'mon Christmas morning!   8)

Say when

Patty

Yummy!  As soon as you get a batch ready, Roxie, just give me a call...I will be right over! digin_2
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Patty

I baked some bread yesterday. It doesn't have grits in it, but it still is a pretty good white bread recipe.

2 cups scalded milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tbls salt
3 tbls butter
5 tsp dry yeast (i like the yeast they use for bread machines)
1/2 cup warm water
1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water
3 quarts flour (12 cups)

Combine scalded milk, salt, sugar & the butter, stir until dissolved and lukewarm.  Soften yeast, ginger, 1/2 tsp sugar in 1/2 cup warm water. Then add the yeast mixture & the 1 1/2 cups of the warm water to the warm milk mixture and stir. Add flour 1/2 cup at a time mixing after each to keep the batter smooth. Knead the dough for 10 minutes on a foured board. Place in a buttered bowl and paint the top with melted butter. Cover and set to rise in a warm place until it doubles, usually about 1 1/2 hours. Punch it down, recover, and let is rise again for about 1/2 hour.

Now you can form the dough into dinner rolls or loaves. It makes about 2 dozen rolls or 3 or 4  loaves. Let them rise one more time until double. (about an hour for loaves, 1/2 hour for rolls). Bake at 350 F until golden brown.....usually about 40 minutes. Remove from loaf pans right away and cool on wire racks, so the loaves don't get all soggy.

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

sawguy21

Mmmm  8) Coming into the kitchen when mom and grandma were baking bread was the best.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

olyman

our woodstove is in the basement--with a old time grid above it--wife puts bread on there to rise--open the house door----wooohaa!!! just give me the bread and butter--and get out the way----

Thank You Sponsors!