iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I couldn't even find an axe

Started by Corley5, October 31, 2005, 11:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

I needed an axe today for the first time in years.  Three of the big blocks of wood I split the other day were still being held together by some fibers (because they were curly maple) and were just too big to wrestle around to finish with the splitter so my plan was to take an axe to finish them off.  The only axe I could find was an old single bit with a chewed up handle and a head that appeared as though it had been used to break rocks.  We used to have axes of all shapes and sizes.  Double bit, single bit, broad axe etc.  I did find three pick axes and a couple mattocks but only the one axe and it might as well be thrown out.  I couldn't even find a regular splitting maul.  I've got two in my woodshed but the only thing at Dad's I could come up with was a monster maul which I ended taking along.  It worked and worked me harder than I wanted plus I mashed my thumb pretty good with it.  It would've been faster to come home and get a regular maul, it's only a half mile, but I knew there were axes around.  Grandpa was on a kick for a while and put new handles in all kinds of old tools.  Somewhere around here is a stash of axes.  I know it, there has to be ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Sprucegum

I have a favorite axe that goes everywhere with me. It under my truck seat when I am not using it.It's a "boys axe", some folks call them limbing axes, light weight with a 20 inch handle and made of very good quality steel. It was the first tool I ever bought with my own money and there ain't much that axe won't do for me.

;)Get your own axe and take care of it and it'll take care of you ;)

Bibbyman

I think a good double bit ax is impossible to find at a reasonable price.  About any time I've been in a store that has a rack of tools I check out the axes.  All you find anymore are big hunks of iron on a stick.

When I was growing up,  I used an ax about every day. Dad had "hacked ties" in his younger years and a regular double bit ax was a necessary tool to accompany the broad ax.  He always had a good one and kept it sharp.  But now they're all worn out, broken or lost.  A couple of years ago I put a new handle in his old ax for him.  He put it in the back of his mule and there it's staid.  I'm sure he's not even used it.

When my boys were growing up, they were always "borrowing" my ax.  I bought them each a good ax – Gabe a Hudson Bay style single bit and Chris a good double bit about 3/4 size.  I had to keep after them not to loose them.  That lasted about six months. I'll be DanGed if they didn't loose them both the same day.  I was plowing a field and had them trimming limbs and cutting sprouts along the field edge.  They spent most of their time playing in the creek.  When they came back to the truck I asked them where their axes were.  You guessed it.  "I don't know." Was the reply.  I sent them to look for them and then went to look with them but we never found them.  I even went back years later with a metal detector looking for them but didn't find them.  I suspect they lost them real good on purpose.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Deadwood

I once saw a book in the book store that I should have bought. I think it was called the Axe Book, and in scanning it over it looked to be pretty informative and had some information on sharpening, firewood and just about anything related to the axe. I passed it up I think because I can be cheap sometimes. I have never seen it sice but should have bought it.

I used to carry an axe with me in the woods when I harvested professionally. It got me out of a lot of jambs more than once. I used to use a single bit axe so I could drive my wedges with the back of it. This was not smart as the constant pounding would open up the handle hole and loosen the axe handle. Finally I switched to a two bit axe and drove the wedge like a battering ram. It worked much better and never did loosen the handle again.

One day though while out cruising the woodlot I lost the stupid thing. More than likely it is driven into a tree somewhere and has grown out around it. The thing is, here in Maine, two bit axes are hard to find. I am constantly on the hunt for one, but have yet to find one. When I do, I'll buy one and keep a better eye on it.

crtreedude

I have had a double-bitted axe for as long as I can remember. I keep one side really sharp for cutting and the other side I keep sort of banged up - but sharp - for dealing with things in the ground. (roots, etc.) The limber side and the stump side as it were.

Down here they use a machete for much of what you would use an axe for - I have seen 12" trees cut down really fast with a machete - pretty amazing what you can do when you swing one for hours at a time as work.

I did buy myself a machete - but it was snagged by someone - I think they are trying to keep me from hurting myself.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

sawguy21

I have not seen a new double bit in a long time. My dad had one along with a smaller single bit and they saw a lot of use. He kept them sharp and made sure I did not abuse them. ;D I was always real careful with the big one to make sure I didn't damage myself on the backswing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

twoodward15

So are you saying that I should be buying up all the double bit (I'm assuming you are talking a blade on each side) axes that I see at the farmers market for under $10???  I was seeing them all the time.  I'll go back next weekend to see if there are any there now.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

SwampDonkey

My grandfather was in Rhode Island visiting cousins and he found an axe in a flee market. Stamped with made in Canada on it. My uncle used that axe in the spring to split his kitchen stove firewood. Well before the first cord was split the axe blade was all chipped away as it was brittle in the cold and the handle around the blade was all chewed up. Had to go back to the old axe he had for years. What a bunch of junk. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pappy

Found just the head of this one in the barn when we moved here 23 years ago... A friend made me a handle for it... it's rather light... maybe used by smaller people...  ;)

I would have to be really hard up to take this one down... as far as I'm concerned it can stay with my map of Maine of 1861 and a pair of riff skis (also found in the barn) made right here in beautiful down town Soldier Pond by Walter L. Stadig, has his own manufactured by tag on them...

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

thedeeredude

ksu_chainsaw

I got tired of getting junk axes too.  Now i have 2 max axes with the tool kits.  I keep one in the truck and the other one at home.

http://www.maxax.com/index.html

Although they are a little expensive, I like being able to only carry a small package and have everything i need.

Charles

Texas Ranger

Had to buy a double bitted ax in college when in forestry school, bought the best one I could find, still have it, and for the life of me cannot think of the name of it, but, it was the best at the time, "50's".  then bought a single blade with a flat with a short handle to carry in the truck, like the man said, got me out of a couple jams.

After Rita there is a bunch of wood down, and being frugle (cheap) I decided to cut it up for my shop Franklyn stove.  Rooted around in the shop and found my old splitting mall, handle broken out of it and I haven't used it in years.  Anyway, put a new handle in it, and split fire wood.

Now I know why I never put the handle back in it. :'(  If I can only break this handle............................
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Bro. Noble

When I was in Boy Scouts,  I bought a 'Plumb' hand axe.  Kept it for years and really appreciated the quality.  Got to looking for it one time and remembered I had it stored behind the seat of my old AA Ford truck------that I had traded off about 6 months earlier :(
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Radar67

I got the new Fiskars Ax a few months back. First real ax I have ever owned, man is it sharp. I used it on some 3 and 4 inch brush to try it out, a couple of whacks and it cut clean thru. It is easy to sharpen as well. Also has a composite handle similar to the Max ax. Best part is the lifetime warranty.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Texas Ranger

Brother Noble, thank you, it was a Plumb.  Plumb forgot it. ;D  Must be a Missouri thing.

Engineer

Iltis Oxhead

Gransfors Bruk

Collins

All available online, but not cheap.   If you want cheap ($) - your sponsor Bailey's has some axes on their site.

Sprucegum

OXHEAD
  that's what I got - bought it at Hudson Bay when they were just startin' out ;D

Frickman

I use a Collins single bit axe almost everyday. In the woods it's used to pound wedges and trim small limbs. At the mill I use it occasionally to chop dirt off logs or pound a wedge to free a stuck saw. Got it at a local saw shop that carries some logging and sawmill suplies. It wasn't cheap, but it was well worth the money.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Dan_Shade

I just bought a Fiskars axe, i bought it hesitantly after my experience with their "worlds greatest shovel" which I bent the handle over the first time i used it to dig a hole.

but I did a little digging and hopefully it will last me, it's well balanced and cuts nice, but the handle is too short.  one reason I bought it was the carrying case it came in, I like to keep an axe in my truck for emergency purposes.  this should work well.

I like a double bit too, with one "good" side, and one "bad" side.

I've heard of leaving an axe head in water to keep the handle tight, I'd think that would rot the handle out quicker, but who knows...
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Frickman

Dan Shade,

Soaking an axe head is one of the oldest tricks out there. You have to keep doing it though everytime the handle dries out.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

ohsoloco

I've been using one of the double bit axes from my dad's stash for years.  I don't know if it originally belonged to him or my pap, but when it's heating season I use it just about every day.  Great for splitting slabs and straight grained pieces of wood to get a fire going.  Never sharpened it since I use it for splitting...there's still another double bit in the shed, and I'm sure dad won't mind if I "borrow" it  :D

sawguy21

The Fiskars are a treat to use. The biggest problem is keeping them from disappearing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Phorester

When in Scouts, I bought myself a nice Craftsman hand ax.  Took it on every camping trip.  Now as a Scout leader, I still take it on every camping trip.

A few years ago I found an old double bit axe in a woods fire.  It was lying flat on the ground, buried a little bit in the dirt.  I think the only reason I saw it was because all the leaves and duff had been burned away by the fire, exposing the axe.  Lord knows how long it had been there.  The handle was about rotted out, it was caked with rust.  I scraped, wirewheeled and naval-jellied the rust off,  put a new handle in it, put an edge on both blades, it's now hanging up with my garden tools.  Don't think I'll let the Boy Scouts use that one.........

Texas Ranger

I have the head of a broad ax that we found when it was turned out by a fire plow back in my state days.  Wish it could talk.

Thank You Sponsors!