iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

whats da best way to cut ties from large trees

Started by Rod, June 27, 2005, 05:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod

First off they don't have to b boxed.So say you have  30''er's and you cut it all into ties.So whats the easiest way to do it on a bandmill?

I thought about cutting the firs cout to were I have 9'' wid surface,then drop down 7'',take that BIG CHUNCK off,then flip the log and do th same as above,and flip again,and do the same thing again.Then com of the big chuncks I have to put back on he mill to finish cutting into ties the way I've got it figured.And after I'm dne I tink I'll end up with maybe 4 or 5 ties.

Dan_Shade

I'm certainly not a professional, but from the info I've gleaned from here, I'd do it this way:

base your blocks from one being centered up properly
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Rod

ok,so I think I need to start out with a cant that is 27''x 23'',then cut off the ties on the sides off and place them off to the side to cut them later,and then slice the 9''x 27'' cant into 3 ties,then put the 2 sides back on the mill and finishs cutting them into ties.

Thanks for the picture.

Ron Wenrich

You would need a 9 x 21" for 3 ties or a 7" x 27". 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Rod

sawhead

If you can square at 21x18 you can cut 6 ties  ,split the 18 then 2 cuts on the 21,
The journey of a thousand miles begins
with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire

Buzz-sawyer

Do you guys allow for waste..........One of my buyers would not like 6 3/4 or 7/8 too much ??? ???
He is concerned about after shrinkage.....and having consistent ties.......
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

sawhead

Right Buzz , your saw kerf will have to be figured in and also if the tie co. wants a shrinkage allowance , some do some don't . I have cut them so many years that it's just automatic to add the kerf and allowance.
The journey of a thousand miles begins
with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire

Rod

Thanks sawhead ,I'll cut them 21x18.

I should of thought of that :D,and I think my saw kerf is maybe 3/16,xo that wont matter much but Ill add a little to be on the safe side.

Ron Wenrich

Size depends on how bad they need ties.  They have always asked for 1/4" heavy on the switch ties.  That was due to guys having problems with the logs springing and being thin in the middle.

They don't like them scant.  They prefer the heavier stock.  I give them the heavy stuff, they don't give me any rejects.  Seems like a good arrangement.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!