iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

028 super problem

Started by Caloren, May 07, 2013, 01:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caloren

Been working on our Sierra property for the last three weeks and the 028 has developed a problem. The saw runs fine until I turn it over on the right side to fell a tree, then the saw just dies. Any other position it runs great.
Any ideas?
Don't know if this has any connection to the problem, but a month ago the saw got turned on its right side in the back of the truck and about half a tank of fuel ran out in about 4 hours.
Thanks,
Loren
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

AdkStihl

I'd be replacing the fuel line ASAP
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

That would be my suggestion also .Some times they get a little crack in them which opens up as the saw is tilted allowing it to suck air instead of fuel .That 028 is a good old saw but it's old enough stuff like bad fuel lines are to be expected .

Caloren

I had wondered about the fuel line myself, guess I'll go order one tomorrow.
Thanks all,
Loren
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

joe_indi

If its not a cracked fuel hose, it could be a sticking jet valve.
Saw running lean when in the bar flat position is usually from a sticking jet valve.
Joe

AdkStihl

Quote from: joe_indi on May 08, 2013, 01:25:16 PM
If its not a cracked fuel hose, it could be a sticking jet valve.
Saw running lean when in the bar flat position is usually from a sticking jet valve.
Joe

Quite possible, but judging the description in his original post, my money is on the fuel line given the age of the saw.
J.Miller Photography

Caloren

Checked the saw today. Took the cover and air filter off, filled it with fuel and turned it on the right side; about 30 seconds later a few drops appeared on the fuel line. Ordered a hose today. hopefully that will solve the problem.  ???

AdkStihl

Quote from: Caloren on May 08, 2013, 04:06:17 PM
Checked the saw today. Took the cover and air filter off, filled it with fuel and turned it on the right side; about 30 seconds later a few drops appeared on the fuel line. Ordered a hose today. hopefully that will solve the problem.  ???

Let us know
J.Miller Photography

Caloren

Thanks guys, you were right on.
Got it [fuel line] put on last weekend - end of problem. Had to readjust the carb quite a bit for it to run right, must have been sucking a little air for awhile and kept adjusting the carb to compensate.
Been using chainsaws off and on for the last 40 years, but have learned a lot since finding this site a year or two ago!

Thank You Sponsors!