iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with brush cutters

Started by cb3100, May 10, 2020, 09:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cb3100

I have 60 acres of timber that has not been touched in decades.  I want to start clearing the land - but don't want to purchase heavy equipment.  I am looking at brush cutters, like the Stihl FS-560 or any other to be frank.  I am looking for advice on the best brush cutter you can get.  I also am looking for advice on the best mulching blade for clearing dense vegetation.  I am hoping to gather as much info on this topic as I can and am hoping someone can help :)  thanks in advance for your time! 

sawguy21

@SwampDonkey has considerable experience and should have some useful insight.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

John Mc

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, cb3100.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

pine

FS560 will do it but you maybe able to get away with a FS460 and be quite happy.
What kind of brush and CWD are you going to be dealing with.  I use both of the below and find each has its purpose.

pwrwagontom

I clear roadside brush and boundary lines as part of my work function.
Its a smaller unit, but I have been extremely happy with my Stihl FS-360.  The weight, power, and fuel economy has severed me and my staff well.  After carrying one 1-2 miles to start work, I don't know if I would necessarily want a heavier model.

We regularly cut brush and small trees 2-3 inches in diameter, just need to maintain your blade.
Liked it so much, we purchased a second one.
Never give an inch

PASS_AUF

I would buy the FS560 you are looking at it or I would buy the Husky 555FX. I have the 555FX and three of the older FS550's. I like them both quite well either would do the work. I also have an FS450, it's a nice machine but not nearly as heavy duty. When comparing the 560 to the 555 you will save a few pounds of weight on the 555, which I like. The husky harness is FAR better, especially if you're over 6 feet like I am, they can be bought on Amazon or probably from a site sponsor if you were to buy a Stihl and work fine with the Stihl. It's called the balance XT. 

To clear dense vegetation you have you want a VERY hard to come by blade, a shredder. These have been unavailable in the US for many years, they can however be ordered from Europe, which is how I get them. Having the proper limit stop guard is essential with a shredder and I cannot emphasize that enough, they kick up debris everywhere. Chaps and a face shield helmet with safety glasses on underneath is not optional. Shredders can hurt you, there's a reason you can no longer buy them stateside and haven't been able to for many years. If you source the cutter you want to buy I will help you find the blades and safety equipment to run it. You can get them for necessary items for the 560 and 555. 

https://youtu.be/OV0QFpkIdCU

Stihl MS362
Stihl FS550
Stihl FS450
Stihl FS250
Stihl FS80
Stihl 026
Husky 555FX
John Deere Gator 825i
John Deere 4066M

mike_belben

60 acres with a brush cutter?  You may not have considered that every stem you cut will stump sprout into multiple shoots unless sprayed, and by the time you get to the last acre the first acre will be 3x brushier than when you started.  If you brush cut this multiple times it eventually gets so thick you cant walk through it.

It sounds like a job for a dozer and a root rake. 
Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

Quote from: mike_belben on May 25, 2020, 11:38:53 PM
60 acres with a brush cutter?  You may not have considered that every stem you cut will stump sprout into multiple shoots unless sprayed, and by the time you get to the last acre the first acre will be 3x brushier than when you started.  If you brush cut this multiple times it eventually gets so thick you cant walk through it.

Spray it with Remedy to get the trees dead. It won't kill your grasses 

Walnut Beast

Grazon will work also but Remedy a little better with a surfactant in it

Walnut Beast

Quote from: mike_belben on May 25, 2020, 11:38:53 PM
60 acres with a brush cutter?  You may not have considered that every stem you cut will stump sprout into multiple shoots unless sprayed, and by the time you get to the last acre the first acre will be 3x brushier than when you started.  If you brush cut this multiple times it eventually gets so thick you cant walk through it.

Like Mike says don't brush cut them! Spray them first! 

Wayne_Stevens

I like this one I restored.

Tom King

I have an old FS450K.  I've always wondered why anyone needs a stronger one.

Whatever one you get, get several different types of blades, to see which ones work best for different things.

Thank You Sponsors!