iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carpenter Bee help!

Started by joudin, June 16, 2020, 11:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joudin

Good day forum!  I have a cabin in north GA with a carpenter bee problem.  Been treating the holes recently; particularly the lower ones near the foundation where I could hear buzzing inside.  Just 1 day after treatment, I see this incredible damage.  Looks like woodpeckers must have heard the buzzing which got louder after my treating the holes

?  But, I would never think woodpeckers would attack this close to the ground.  Would this damage be caused by something else?  Any advice appreciated!

Raider Bill

I have found that flex seal works well. It comes in clear. Get the spray can. Shoot a bit in the holes.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

nativewolf

Looks like a big woodpecker.  Mostly the piliated's go for carpenter ants but will go after carpenter bees if available.  Maybe a red headed.  They are there for the food, it's past nesting season so they are not banging on there for territory reasons.  You'll want to remove the boards with bees.  

Best to inspect on a regular basis and remove infected boards quickly.  Personally I enjoy carpenter bees as long as they are not just killing the structure but they can get carried away, lots of threads on here about getting rid of them (changing siding, changing thickness of siding, screens, etc)
Liking Walnut

ESFted

Could be something other than a bird.  Don't know where you are from but maybe a skunk, possum, raccoon??
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

Unclefish

WD40 right in holes kills them. Then start building these . And also get yourself a badminton rackets and wack as many as you can. I made some From 4x4 also . Watch you tube videos make sure you do the water bottle top on inside of glass jar. 1 of mine now has over 20 Carpenter Bees in it now. 

Walnut Beast

Quote from: joudin on June 16, 2020, 11:06:38 AM
Good day forum!  I have a cabin in north GA with a carpenter bee problem.  Been treating the holes recently; particularly the lower ones near the foundation where I could hear buzzing inside.  Just 1 day after treatment, I see this incredible damage.  Looks like woodpeckers must have heard the buzzing which got louder after my treating the holes

?  But, I would never think woodpeckers would attack this close to the ground.  Would this damage be caused by something else?  Any advice appreciated!
Fill the holes in with exterior loctite and it's paintable

Banjo picker

This is the most fun way to get rid of them.  Put a piece of egg carton between the powder and your projectile of choice... top with another piece of egg carton and then a a drop or two of elmers glue.  You can shoot them a lot quicker than you can make em. Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

KEC

Most likely the torn up wood is from a woodpecker getting the bee and larvae. Here in Central New York I've seen Hairy woodpeckers and Red-bellied woodpecker do this. I can't help thinking that if someone figured out what kind of wood is most attractive to the Carpenter Bees that  it might work to put up a sacrificial board and let the bees have at it. It's a little labor intensive, but I have taken a mouse glue board and cut 3/4" X 3/4" pieces before removing the backing paper. Then staple the little pieces just below the holes and then remove the backing. The bee gets stuck and you can kill it.

JJ

What have you made there Banjo picker? headscratch How does that get the bees?

JJ

Unclefish

That's exactly what I would like to build with some 45 acp loads
Guessing primer powder put a piece egg carton foam style push down on top case then push in with doll or  pencel eraser end.
Load with white millet bird seed then push another piece foam egg carton down on top then seal with glue. 

btulloh

Quote from: Unclefish on June 17, 2020, 04:12:35 PM
That's exactly what I would like to build with some 45 acp loads
Guessing primer powder put a piece egg carton foam style push down on top case then push in with doll or  pencel eraser end.
Load with white millet bird seed then push another piece foam egg carton down on top then seal with glue.
I doubt they would feed unless you can reload a blank-type case.  That square edge is going to be jam city.  Probably have to stick to a wheel gun for those loads.  Good thing to pursue though.  I like the concept for controlling the carpenter bees.  Also depends on the neighborhood you live in.  Might not sit well with close neighbors, depending on the neighbors.
Probably sawdust alone would work, like they use in barrel shooting competition. 
HM126

Raider Bill

I shot 18 one day with a pistol. Everyone thought I was Wyatt Earp till they realized I was using rat shot. :D

Banjo picker

Quote from: JJ on June 17, 2020, 11:05:52 AM
What have you made there Banjo picker? headscratch How does that get the bees?

JJ

Those are 44 magnums, and yes I use a wheel gun. I make snake loads too.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

gspren

Didn't Jeff or somebody have a salt shooting gun?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Raider Bill

Quote from: gspren on June 18, 2020, 09:44:16 PM
Didn't Jeff or somebody have a salt shooting gun?
I have an as-salt gun. Doesn't phase them.

Thank You Sponsors!