iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this Persimmon?

Started by jcampbell300, August 08, 2020, 11:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcampbell300

I'm struggling to identify this tree. I think it might be persimmon but I really don't know. If its not persimmon, what else could it be? It was dead standing with the top fallen out of it and no live leaves to identify it with. The only leaves I could find were these dead ones attached to the main truck. When I first cut it down, the wood was very dense and white. A couple weeks passed and the black center you see started to become more obvious. It has had decay present since cutting it down of course. It was dead standing. I debarked it today and saw plenty of grub worms and ants inside the bark; however, I hope I can still get some useful wood from it.  

I'm new, so I'm sure I am breaking protocol of some sort. Let me know if I am.  

WDH

No.  Not persimmon.  It is blackgum, Nyssa sylvatica. Older ones get knobby bark like that and also like persimmon, but persimmon knobby bark is black while blackgum knobby bark is gray, dark gray. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jcampbell300

Thank you! Would have been an amazing find if it were persimmon. Oh well.
Is Black gum worth sawing up?

Southside

Quartersawn it's very pretty.  If you flat saw it be very careful as the tail end of the board, or maybe even the cant, will jump up at you and try to whack your head as it's coming off the mill it moves that much.  

Same twisted grain characteristics as Sycamore, Hickory, Sweet Gum, so when worked with that in mind it can come out very nice.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

jcampbell300

Thank You Sponsors!